Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Hunting the Chinese 'Wild Man'

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

View Postmsmike1, on 06 July 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's funny how wandering off into the wild, looking for something that doesn't exist automatically makes you a "researcher". I want to be a researcher. I think tomorrow I will ramble off into the wilds of south Mississippi and look for the very rare, undocumented, little known blue backed pickle monster. Ok, now I can be a researcher.

Mike
ive seen tat monster before! when i was hiking through the woods, i heard a strange squishing sound and saw the back of a blue zuchini monster thing! it reared up its big head and roared at me! lol its so easy to fake these reports.

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#17    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostCMV, on 07 July 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

I like how people come on unexplained mysteries.com but don't like a good unexplained mystery....

Who said we didn't like it? Trouble is........if you'd check..........this is simply the latest in a string of expeditions to search for this particular beast. So far they really don't have much as a result. They allegdedly have some hair samples they can't determine the source for, that doesn't mean by default that they're from the "Wild Man". They could be from another as yet undiscovered monkey or some other creature.....OR, they simply might not be able to figure out exactly what it's from.......might be human for all we know.

Personally, I wish I could go with them on the trip to see for myself, because I love a good mystery and I'd love to spend time out in the wilds of China hiking about.

#18    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:36 AM

View Postcsspwns, on 07 July 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

ive seen tat monster before! when i was hiking through the woods, i heard a strange squishing sound and saw the back of a blue zuchini monster thing! it reared up its big head and roared at me! lol its so easy to fake these reports.

Probably two gay guys have sex in the bushes, that's why I stay out of the parks any more...........and that blue Zuchini........well, that wasn't produce most likely. Know what I mean?

Edited by keninsc, 07 July 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#19    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,214 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

Would be great if they found one but I'm not going to hold my breath.  The only evidence everyone is going to buy is one captured live or they kill one.  I have to admit it would be fun looking for one.

#20    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostHilander, on 07 July 2012 - 02:39 AM, said:

Would be great if they found one but I'm not going to hold my breath.  The only evidence everyone is going to buy is one captured live or they kill one.  I have to admit it would be fun looking for one.

I completely agree, I'd love to see one if it's real, but not holding my breath either. Sadly, the only way anyone is going to believe it is if they catch one or kill one. Now, assuming, they are real and as large and strong as legend claims then shooting one might be the only real option. However, I fear that as soon as the first one shows up then the scientific community will not buy into it until they have more than one because one could just be a freak of nature, or some genetic mutation.

#21    U. N.Owen

U. N.Owen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Location:Sometimes Central Russia, sometimes Central United Kingdom.

• `I am too much of a sceptic to deny the possibilty of anything` T.H. Huxley

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostCMV, on 07 July 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

I like how people come on unexplained mysteries.com but don't like a good unexplained mystery....

As a newbie, I'm afraid that you're going to have to adjust to the curious fact that this site - the Cryptozoology section of it at least - is run by, and for, Career Cynics. These are people who seem to derive endless pleasure from posting dismissive sarcastic one-liners to any and every unexplained creature topic that arises, and quite  without discrimination.

I've pondered long and hard as to why this curious situation should be. Lately I have concluded that these Career Cynics belong entirely to the Internet generation and, without having read much hard copy journalism or research into the Unexplained in advance -they came onto this site in order to find evidence of the unexplained. Naturally they were then met with a welter of easily punctured postings from wackos and timewasters... you know, obviously hoaxed pictures from Youtube, etc, etc So they soon became jaded and weary of it all. However, being Internet-babies, rather than merely leaving the site, they stayed on as Career Cynics and promoted this with the zeal of the converted.

Now excuse my innocence but I had thought that the purpose of sites such as these was to discuss unexplained issues that you had already encountered elsewhere either on or offline, and not to provide such evidence, at least not on its own! (I myself was reading about Paranormal issues when the Internet was but a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee eye. I had already exposed myself to sceptical positions, but had decided that there was still something in some issues and wanted to discuss these intelligently with other like-minded people - the cynical one liners I can get any day of the week from ordinary people around me).

Now don't get me wrong: there is a much needed role for scepticism. I would even go so far as to say that some contributions by OrangePeaceful -now there's a guy you're going to get to know -have been constructive. However, there is a qualitiative difference between  mere cynicism and scepticism : you can see it in the tone. Cynics are always sarcastic and they love oneline contributions that say nothing except express their negative state of mind.

These contributions, so repetitive and predictable, do have the desired effect: they are as wearying as the wacko believers. I myself joined this site with high expectations but now only post occasionally as I already know what kind of response any remark I make will get.So it's a bit of a war of attrition, and one that the Career Cynics are winning (on this site). I do hope you will keep with us and not let them dampen your curiosity - there are some open-minded enquirers on this site, but it's just that we post less.

Welcome to U.M!

#22    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,145 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostHilander, on 07 July 2012 - 02:39 AM, said:

I have to admit it would be fun looking for one.
It's a blast. I learn something new everytime out.

Posted Image

#23    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostU. N.Owen, on 07 July 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

As a newbie, I'm afraid that you're going to have to adjust to the curious fact that this site - the Cryptozoology section of it at least - is run by, and for, Career Cynics. These are people who seem to derive endless pleasure from posting dismissive sarcastic one-liners to any and every unexplained creature topic that arises, and quite  without discrimination.

I've pondered long and hard as to why this curious situation should be. Lately I have concluded that these Career Cynics belong entirely to the Internet generation and, without having read much hard copy journalism or research into the Unexplained in advance -they came onto this site in order to find evidence of the unexplained. Naturally they were then met with a welter of easily punctured postings from wackos and timewasters... you know, obviously hoaxed pictures from Youtube, etc, etc So they soon became jaded and weary of it all. However, being Internet-babies, rather than merely leaving the site, they stayed on as Career Cynics and promoted this with the zeal of the converted.

Now excuse my innocence but I had thought that the purpose of sites such as these was to discuss unexplained issues that you had already encountered elsewhere either on or offline, and not to provide such evidence, at least not on its own! (I myself was reading about Paranormal issues when the Internet was but a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee eye. I had already exposed myself to sceptical positions, but had decided that there was still something in some issues and wanted to discuss these intelligently with other like-minded people - the cynical one liners I can get any day of the week from ordinary people around me).

Now don't get me wrong: there is a much needed role for scepticism. I would even go so far as to say that some contributions by OrangePeaceful -now there's a guy you're going to get to know -have been constructive. However, there is a qualitiative difference between  mere cynicism and scepticism : you can see it in the tone. Cynics are always sarcastic and they love oneline contributions that say nothing except express their negative state of mind.

These contributions, so repetitive and predictable, do have the desired effect: they are as wearying as the wacko believers. I myself joined this site with high expectations but now only post occasionally as I already know what kind of response any remark I make will get.So it's a bit of a war of attrition, and one that the Career Cynics are winning (on this site). I do hope you will keep with us and not let them dampen your curiosity - there are some open-minded enquirers on this site, but it's just that we post less.

Welcome to U.M!

Wow! You really are a virgin in a whorehouse, aren't you? I hope you'll see past the old farts here and learn to use the ignore feature, if not then it's been a slice.

#24    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,569 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostU. N.Owen, on 07 July 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Welcome to U.M!

Good post, you make some spot on observations.

I can only speak for myself.  I'm not saying my opinion is somehow the decent, noble, or best way, but it is the way it is for me:

I was once a dyed-in-the-wool believer.

However, now as a skeptic, I realize, oftentimes paranormal or cryptid accounts are so vacant they come off as a joke on and targeted to skeptics to rile things up. Or, to laugh at believers.

OP’s are asked questions, yet no pertinent information or pictures follow. Many it seems are not looking for a conversation/answers.

I can’t help but picture a couple of people sitting around a computer expecting to get a good laugh on those who reply to their OP.

And so after a while these frequent OP's become 'The boy who cried “Wolf!” (or “Werewolf!”)' over and over.  We run and look but there is no wolf to be seen or any evidence of a wolf.

They meld into one long joke on those who choose to reply to the OP both skeptic and believer, again imo.

But admittedly, not all OP’s come off that way and a  few are thick-skinned and open to a two-sided conversation.

I personally like a site where those who would cry "Foul!", do so. There are sites where all agree, however.

But they aren't humorless/free of sarcasm either, they like to make fun at what the skeptics think.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#25    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,569 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

P.S. Why read on UM and other similar sites? Because I do have a genuine interest in and enjoy reading about some topics. Including, accounts and throwing some options the believers’ way.
Is it getting old? In a way, yes. And I’m probably overdue for a new interest.

in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#26    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 07 July 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

P.S. Why read on UM and other similar sites? Because I do have a genuine interest in and enjoy reading about some topics. Including, accounts and throwing some options the believers’ way.
Is it getting old? In a way, yes. And I’m probably overdue for a new interest.

We all have our own beliefs and interests. I'm not here to be a mentor to anyone, but rather to try and see what's out there. Who knows?

#27    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,569 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 07 July 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

We all have our own beliefs and interests. I'm not here to be a mentor to anyone, but rather to try and see what's out there. Who knows?

I only spoke for myself. Sure,  "see what's out there. Who knows?" comes into play for me too. That's part of my interest.
I didn't mean i was a mentor by 'offering options'.  Just simply options/other explanations for possible consideration.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 07 July 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#28    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 07 July 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

I only spoke for myself. Sure,  "see what's out there. Who knows?" comes into play for me too. That's part of my interest.
I didn't mean i was a mentor by 'offering options'.  Just simply options/other explanations for possible consideration.

Oh I know. I do mostly the same thing. Although, I wish I'd have gotten dialed into all this when I was younger. I'm getting a little too old to go hiking off the beaten trails looking for a Bigfoot or anything else. My knees and body just aren't what they used to be any more. However, in all my years of hiking, hunting and "exploring" I've yet to encounter a Bigfoot or find any sign of one, although once I did encounter a smell while hunting, never heard anything or saw anything, but in later years there were several reports of a creature and near that area was where one of my friends claimed to have seen one. I like to keep the door open because who knows?

#29    kwin

kwin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

Good thinking CVM, Owen. For the most part I agree with your analogy. Skepticism a good quality and tool by which to observe and learn. Some people realize the place for cynicism. I look at it this way; we have entered an age where people are empowered by the perceived anonymity created by the feeling they are isolated & protected by the blind silence of their monitors and keyboards, when in reality, thousands of people are analyzing and passing judgement on what they write. Mike and Kenisc are typical examples of those whom frequent the blogs, steeped in indoctrination that gives a false sense of truth, superiority and seemingly inherent knowledge which is only a facade supported by a generous amount of cognitive dissonance. Anyway, skepticism is an important tool that is strengthened immensely because of the computer age.  It is possible to source and verify all information that appears on the web or in your e-mail box.  Including any and all information that you have ever been taught during  your life. That's the part I love. As for the Wildman of China, or other cryptids, whose to say that, if they do exist, they are not more intelligent than humans.  Just because some automatically think that a human is the most intelligent being on the planet, does not necessarily mean that he is. There are tons of information out there that suggest that this type of cryptid is very intelligent and possibly even has the capability of using wormholes.  For example, read the skinwalker ranch transcripts. No corroborating proof yet. We're all aware of the fact that overzealous people will hoax information just for the purpose of joining the ranks of those claiming to have a very exciting or terrifying experience. Yes, being skeptical is a good thing but just remember, it only takes one legitimate sighting to make any claim valid.

In mind is like a parachute, must be open to work.

#30    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:11 AM

In mind is like a parachute, must be open to work.

True, however if your mind is too open then you risk having your brains fall out on the floor.

Mike and Kenisc are typical examples of those whom frequent the blogs, steeped in indoctrination that gives a false sense of truth, superiority and seemingly inherent knowledge which is only a facade supported by a generous amount of cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance is a discomfort caused by holding conflicting cognitions (e.g., ideas, beliefs, values, emotional reactions) simultaneously. In a state of dissonance, people may feel surprise, dread, guilt, anger, or embarrassment. The theory of cognitive dissonance in social psychology proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by altering existing cognitions, adding new ones to create a consistent belief system, or alternatively by reducing the importance of any one of the dissonant elements. An example of this would be the conflict between wanting to smoke and knowing that smoking is unhealthy; a person may try to change their feelings about the odds that they will actually suffer the consequences, or they might add the consonant element that the smoking is worth short term benefits. A general view of cognitive dissonance is when one is biased towards a certain decision even though other factors favour an alternative.
The phrase was coined by Leon Festinger in his 1956 book When Prophecy Fails, which chronicled the followers of a UFO cult as reality clashed with their fervent belief in an impending apocalypse. Cognitive dissonance is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology.

Just goes to show that you really don't know anything about me or you knopw that Mike and I don't share the same level of disbelief, but don't let that stop you Sunshine.

Edited by keninsc, 08 July 2012 - 02:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users