Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

How "Ancient Aliens" have lied to you


  • Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#31    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 18,697 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:08 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 07 October 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

AA never lies to you because they always claim What if. So you got to remember that these are all just Theories. Until Proven Otherwise
I believe that AA also says that the opinions of the various "experts" are those of that expert. So they do plenty of CYA (Cover your A##). I do think that the AA Site and the show should have a more clear disclaimer that this is Entertainment and not a Doumentary series.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#32    shaddow134

shaddow134

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Joined:25 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern Ontario

  • "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 08 October 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

I believe that AA also says that the opinions of the various "experts" are those of that expert. So they do plenty of CYA (Cover your A##). I do think that the AA Site and the show should have a more clear disclaimer that this is Entertainment and not a Doumentary series.
I would say that these people and their fringe followers regard this fantasy as a genuine Documentary...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#33    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

    Queen of the UM Asylum

  • Member
  • 5,124 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

Much to my dismay I saw recently that Giorgio is coming to New Orleans. Apparently he's going to appear at 'New Orleans' Premiere Music Venue' (which should be read as... 'he couldn't get his gig to appear anywhere else in the city.'). If it weren't so ridiculously expensive for a ticket - close to $100 if I recall correctly - I'd go just to see how many idiots in the city believe his hogwash.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#34    synchronomy

synchronomy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Joined:05 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario Canada

  • Facinating

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostMarks_Thoughts, on 08 October 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

If aliens came here in the past they certainly would do what we do if we were on an alien planet. They would leave trash. The reason is they would not want to expend the fuel necessary to boost it back into space. Also, if you are such an advanced race why would you care if the locals ever found the trash, especially if it was not, in fact, toxic or helpful to their advancement. So, where are the plastic water bottles, the pop cans, the crating materials, anything that the aliens would not take with them upon leaving to go home or elsewhere?
It's all well and good to look at myths, grand structures, and such and fantasize. But, show me the trash or the left over something, anything, they left behind that is even remotely conclusive.
"Trash" of water bottles, pop cans, or crating materials assumes the supposed ancient aliens lived the same lifestyle as we do now.  The "ancient aliens" may have been so advanced that they did not physically visit Earth.  Perhaps it was a something akin to telepathic transfer of knowledge to our ancestors, or their appearance here was in the form or an elaborate hologram.
In any case, I share your scepticism of the ancient alien theory to explain ancient architecture.  IF their purpose here was to help, my thoughts are they would have taught us how to build modular or mobile homes with air conditioning, prefabricated structures, sanitary sewage systems with flushing toilets, and medical knowledge to cure at least common ailments.
But, you're right, other than big stones being moved and advanced mathematics, there is no physical evidence of aliens.

I think jumping to the conclusion that it was ancient aliens, is a cop-out for the fact that we don't know exactly how our ancestors accomplished their architectural feats or it assumes they were too stupid to figure it out.

Edited by synchronomy, 08 October 2012 - 12:56 PM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#35    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

The crux of theories on AA is not bad but the amount of dicrepancies in facts that they propund like the weight of certain stones etc etc makes them sound extremely unreliable and not to be taken at face value.I feel history channel deliberately airs this show to make ancient UFO and ET enthusiasts look like a bunch of unreliable lying fools out to con people.


#36    shaddow134

shaddow134

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Joined:25 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern Ontario

  • "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 08 October 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

The crux of theories on AA is not bad but the amount of dicrepancies in facts that they propund like the weight of certain stones etc etc makes them sound extremely unreliable and not to be taken at face value.I feel history channel deliberately airs this show to make ancient UFO and ET enthusiasts look like a bunch of unreliable lying fools out to con people.
Maybe because they are out to con people,Von Daniken,Childress and Co have made a lot of money out of presenting incorrect evidence,faked evidence and bare faced lies.they change ancient texts to suit their ridiculous theories,knowing that your average gullible Joe will never check it out.The History Channel are only cashing in on this and will continue to do so whilst this is the vogue..

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#37    Harte

Harte

    Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

  • Member
  • 9,169 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis

  • Skeptic

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 08 October 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

The concept that aliens were involved doesn't even bear consideration. Not for educated people, anyway. A misidentification of the stones used in the pyramid is far less embarrassing than suggesting aliens were involved.

But you found an obvious mistake. Heiser is not an Egyptologist and I rather doubt he is all that well versed in ancient Egyptian history, including the Great Pyramid, but the overall statement is true that the Great Pyramid is composed almost completely of soft, malleable stone. To be fair, however, were some poster here to say the same thing, I likely would jump on him.
If no geyser is included, you can count on Cladking to object.

Regarding this mistake, both sandstone and limestone are sedimentary stones and both are found in Egypt.  IIRC, there is sandstone in some places in pyramids.

This is an opportunity, however, to be educational and informative regarding the use of the term "hardness" to describe stones and whether they can be easily worked/carved.

We would all agree that sandstone is easier to work than limestone, right?

But limestone has a hardness of 3 to 4 on Moh's scale, while sandstone has a hardness of 6.5 to 7 on the same scale.

As I've said many times, Moh's scale is no way to tell whether a stone is easily worked.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#38    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,625 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostHarte, on 08 October 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

If no geyser is included, you can count on Cladking to object.

Regarding this mistake, both sandstone and limestone are sedimentary stones and both are found in Egypt.  IIRC, there is sandstone in some places in pyramids.

This is an opportunity, however, to be educational and informative regarding the use of the term "hardness" to describe stones and whether they can be easily worked/carved.

We would all agree that sandstone is easier to work than limestone, right?

But limestone has a hardness of 3 to 4 on Moh's scale, while sandstone has a hardness of 6.5 to 7 on the same scale.

As I've said many times, Moh's scale is no way to tell whether a stone is easily worked.

Harte

In fact, it can happen that hard stone can be worked easier because it is more brittle.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#39    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Joined:31 May 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Frozen Tundra of the USA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

I often wonder what would happen if an Asteroid impacted the earth and the only survivors were a tribe on a small island.
How long would it be before they left the island?
How long before they started "growing" intellectualy?
What would they find throughout the rest of the world in 5,000 years.
What would be left to show their descendents how far we had progressed before we were virtually exterminated?
I watch AA just to see what kind of interesting things are out there, i dont believe for one second Aliens are visiting this planet.
I do however wonder if maybe our ancestors didnt reach heights we dont give them credit for before something as mentioned above happened.
Machines and modern tools would return to dust in what, a 1000 years after people left them?
Who's to say they werent using diamond tipped drills or lasers?
Imagine the surprise of people in 5000 years that happened along Mt Rushmore, what would be around to prove that we had reached our current intellectual state?
A CD-ROM? Books?
or would they just assume that Aliens must have visited because cavemen couldnt have accomplished that. :alien:
This is the kind of stuff that goes through my head after watching AA and then a heavy dose of Life after people.
I will let people believe what they want to believe, it does me no ill if someone believes that Aliens are visiting ( i cant actually PROVE that they dont)
Personally, i find it just as irritating when someone comes up with all the answers even though in reality they are just a different set of opinions.
Unless someone finds the blueprints for the pyramids and a bill of materials its all just an opinion, some more logical than others, but opinions just the same.
Try not to stomp on one persons opinion in favor of your own.
Have a nice day :yes:


#40    synchronomy

synchronomy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Joined:05 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario Canada

  • Facinating

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostCapt Amerika, on 08 October 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

I will let people believe what they want to believe, it does me no ill if someone believes that Aliens are visiting ( i cant actually PROVE that they dont)


Wow!  There's a heavy statement. That is impossible to prove.
It is possible to prove they do, with the correct evidence...but it is not possible to prove the contrary.

So I challenge you to prove it.
And don't give us some spook about the top secret access you had working for some nameless black-ops or military group, so you can't provide details other that your personal knowledge.

Seriously, prove it, or retract your claim.

Edited by synchronomy, 08 October 2012 - 03:04 PM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#41    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,625 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostCapt Amerika, on 08 October 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

I often wonder what would happen if an Asteroid impacted the earth and the only survivors were a tribe on a small island.
How long would it be before they left the island?
How long before they started "growing" intellectualy?
What would they find throughout the rest of the world in 5,000 years.
What would be left to show their descendents how far we had progressed before we were virtually exterminated?
I watch AA just to see what kind of interesting things are out there, i dont believe for one second Aliens are visiting this planet.
I do however wonder if maybe our ancestors didnt reach heights we dont give them credit for before something as mentioned above happened.
Machines and modern tools would return to dust in what, a 1000 years after people left them?
Who's to say they werent using diamond tipped drills or lasers?
Imagine the surprise of people in 5000 years that happened along Mt Rushmore, what would be around to prove that we had reached our current intellectual state?
A CD-ROM? Books?
or would they just assume that Aliens must have visited because cavemen couldnt have accomplished that. :alien:
This is the kind of stuff that goes through my head after watching AA and then a heavy dose of Life after people.
I will let people believe what they want to believe, it does me no ill if someone believes that Aliens are visiting ( i cant actually PROVE that they dont)
Personally, i find it just as irritating when someone comes up with all the answers even though in reality they are just a different set of opinions.
Unless someone finds the blueprints for the pyramids and a bill of materials its all just an opinion, some more logical than others, but opinions just the same.
Try not to stomp on one persons opinion in favor of your own.
Have a nice day :yes:

The question is much more: How long before inbreeding would convert those island dwellers into brain dead sickos.

There is a minimum of individuals needed to maintain a healthy race evolving under different circumstances and-- sooner or later, meet and mate. If that is not the case the whole system crashes.

Now, if the number of individuals is large enough they will most probably have a hierarchic and semi-specialized society, therefore the myths of the ancient civilization and some of its achievements would be maintained.

As for aliens that came around: The same rules that apply to the earth from the big bang on apply to any other planet in the universe. If there are aliens they are not so much ahead of us, give or take a few thousand years their society is more or less at the same level than ours. Even if they would have been at our level 10,000 years ago they could not have traveled through space to get here unless living in our solar system, which we can safely exclude at this point.

So, right there you can exclude any ancient aliens having anything to do with what is going on on this planet.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#42    synchronomy

synchronomy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Joined:05 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario Canada

  • Facinating

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 08 October 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:


As for aliens that came around: The same rules that apply to the earth from the big bang on apply to any other planet in the universe. If there are aliens they are not so much ahead of us, give or take a few thousand years their society is more or less at the same level than ours. Even if they would have been at our level 10,000 years ago they could not have traveled through space to get here unless living in our solar system, which we can safely exclude at this point.

So, right there you can exclude any ancient aliens having anything to do with what is going on on this planet.
You are looking at the Universe using Newtonian physics.
Space and time distortion occurs extensively throughout.
There's no way to extrapolate how civilizations can manipulate interstellar travel if they have mastered special relativistic time dilation, which is proven in practical terms already by long stays on the space station and GPS satellites which have to have their internal clocks reset periodically due to long term high velocities.  At much higher velocities or even half the speed of light, the time dilations becomes exponential.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#43    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 35,625 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 08 October 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

You are looking at the Universe using Newtonian physics.
Space and time distortion occurs extensively throughout.
There's no way to extrapolate how civilizations can manipulate interstellar travel if they have mastered special relativistic time dilation, which is proven in practical terms already by long stays on the space station and GPS satellites which have to have their internal clocks reset periodically due to long term high velocities.  At much higher velocities or even half the speed of light, the time dilations becomes exponential.

Which still needs its time on the home planet to get there. No matter how much you dilated time after succeeding building a fast enough drive.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#44    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • 7,782 posts
  • Joined:08 Jul 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago, Illinois

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostHarte, on 08 October 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

If no geyser is included, you can count on Cladking to object.

Regarding this mistake, both sandstone and limestone are sedimentary stones and both are found in Egypt.  IIRC, there is sandstone in some places in pyramids.

This is an opportunity, however, to be educational and informative regarding the use of the term "hardness" to describe stones and whether they can be easily worked/carved.

We would all agree that sandstone is easier to work than limestone, right?

But limestone has a hardness of 3 to 4 on Moh's scale, while sandstone has a hardness of 6.5 to 7 on the same scale.

As I've said many times, Moh's scale is no way to tell whether a stone is easily worked.

Harte

I can't think of a pyramid in which any sizable amount of sandstone was used. The chief building material all the way to the Late Bronze Age was limestone. Granite was frequently employed as a "decorative" stone.

However, for reasons not well understood, sandstone became the norm at the beginning of the New Kingdom (c. 1550 BCE). You're correct that both are found in Egypt, in abundance, and both are easy to work. Limestone was generally quarried on-site in the Old Kingdom, as is obvious at Giza and other pyramid sites, so the mistake appears to be Heiser's alone.

I think we can forgive him. I've only reviewed the website you found but am really enjoying it so far. It is a valuable resource for those us attempting to beat back the uninformed lunacy of the fringe—and specifically for battling the idiotic phenomenon known as Ancient Aliens.

Very few professional academics even bother to give the fringe their attention, so Heiser does everyone a service.

On a separate note, whenever the Great Pyramid might pop up in this thread, geysers are not germane to the discussion, period. Nor shall I permit them to become so. As it is, Ancient Aliens Debunked covers so much more, and we should all be exploring as much of it as possible. ;)

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#45    Diablo Blanco

Diablo Blanco

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined:23 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • People will invent all kinds of solutions to what is not explained.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Georgio states that he was in the Kings chamber, the lights went out, he pulled a lighter from his satchel and the room was so oxygen deficient it would not support a flame. Can said oxygen deficient room support life then? Just curious, as his story sounds like bullsh!t.

I see my savior every morning, in my mirror. My mind is my Temple.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullsh!t. ~ Richard Pryor




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users