Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Chinese Internet Users To Use Real Names


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 36,923 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

A new law passed by the Chinese government on Friday will require residents to register their names when signing up for Internet and telephone services, a move experts claim will strengthen the Beijing Communist Party regime’s control over the nation’s 550 million web users.

The new regulations were ratified by the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress and will require individuals to provide their real names when they register for Internet, landline telephone or mobile phone services, various media outlets have reported.

http://www.redorbit....l-names-122912/

Posted Image

#2    pallidin

pallidin

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,151 posts
  • Joined:09 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere south of the North Pole

  • "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

Dang, talk about "Big Brother"
But I guess they can do what they want to suppress freedom.


#3    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

View Postpallidin, on 29 December 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

Dang, talk about "Big Brother"
But I guess they can do what they want to suppress freedom.

What freedom is being taken away?

If they arent breaking any laws they have nothing to worry about.


#4    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 11,764 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Not like any of us can not be easily traced.....

When I signed up for internet, and phone, I had to give my real name, and billing information.

We all have a IP, and all of us can easily be identified, I do not see what the big fuss is about.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#5    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,649 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 29 December 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:



What freedom is being taken away?

If they arent breaking any laws they have nothing to worry about.

Expression of thought no doubt. No freedom of speech.

If you don't agree with the government over there they put you on a watch list. You probe any further and you can get thrown in jail.

The law doesn't exactly conform to what is right.


#6    Purplos

Purplos

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,550 posts
  • Joined:03 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fighting ennui in suburban NJ

  • Everything important is infinite.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

Wait a second. When I signed up for my internet and phone service, I had to put my real name on it too. Ya know, to pay the bills and all. Do people really put a fake name on their internet or phone service contracts? That sounds criminal to me.

Embrace the impossible.

#7    hooko22

hooko22

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 239 posts
  • Joined:05 May 2012

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

I think pretty much everyone has to give their real name and such already when getting connected to the internet or buying phone service and such.

Posted Image

#8    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 30 December 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

Expression of thought no doubt. No freedom of speech.

If you don't agree with the government over there they put you on a watch list. You probe any further and you can get thrown in jail.

The law doesn't exactly conform to what is right.

In China your area has an official who comes across every month and asks you what your concerns and problems are. This all gets reported up the chain of command so action can be taken to fix any problems. Chinese citizens are not punished for expressing themselves to their community officials and neither do they go on any list. The people being punished are the trouble makers who dont follow the proscribed methods for redress and who try to subvert the state instead.

If you dont like the way something is run in Austrailia you join a party and campaign for changes. If you start causing problems instead you'd get punished and go on a list their too. Whatever country people live in they must follow and respect their political system to get changes. China does listen to its people and has an open line of communication with every citizen in its country.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 30 December 2012 - 05:04 PM.


#9    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,649 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 30 December 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:



In China your area has an official who comes across every month and asks you what your concerns and problems are. This all gets reported up the chain of command so action can be taken to fix any problems. Chinese citizens are not punished for expressing themselves to their community officials and neither do they go on any list. The people being punished are the trouble makers who dont follow the proscribed methods for redress and who try to subvert the state instead.

If you dont like the way something is run in Austrailia you join a party and campaign for changes. If you start causing problems instead you'd get punished and go on a list their too. Whatever country people live in they must follow and respect their political system to get changes. China does listen to its people and has an open line of communication with every citizen in its country.

I didn't know that, quite interesting.

However, the government does probe into the lives of their citizens in China a little too much. Also don't forget the exploitation of their populace to gain the attention through big corporations to switch production to China to help bring it to the big economic hub it is today.

I think the level of surpression is a bit too much you have to agree there. These days when they are looking for a spouse they go to these street hookup places where details such as their income and physical attributes as well as any intellectual ones are noted down on a piece of paper. Is the dehumanisation of the populace not evident right there?

Monitoring and heavily restricting the Internet isn't sounding "big brother" to you?

The reason they support North Korea is because they share similar political standpoints. But take a look at North Korea and China and ask yourself, "Do I want to live there?".


#10    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

    An Inspiration to Millions

  • Member
  • 23,273 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hammerfest

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 30 December 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

In China your area has an official who comes across every month and asks you what your concerns and problems are. This all gets reported up the chain of command so action can be taken to fix any problems
... and if you say you have any, the next morning someone else is living in your house and you're never heard of again ....

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#11    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

    An Inspiration to Millions

  • Member
  • 23,273 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hammerfest

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Actually, seriously, I'm not sure whether it means that people would have to use their real names when they post anything online (e.g Twitter or indeed, Forums like this), or just when they sign up with a USP? Surely, as has been remarked, all companies insist on that wherever youa re, don't they, when you sign a contract with them?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#12    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 30 December 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

I didn't know that, quite interesting.

However, the government does probe into the lives of their citizens in China a little too much. Also don't forget the exploitation of their populace to gain the attention through big corporations to switch production to China to help bring it to the big economic hub it is today.

I think the level of surpression is a bit too much you have to agree there. These days when they are looking for a spouse they go to these street hookup places where details such as their income and physical attributes as well as any intellectual ones are noted down on a piece of paper. Is the dehumanisation of the populace not evident right there?

Monitoring and heavily restricting the Internet isn't sounding "big brother" to you?

The reason they support North Korea is because they share similar political standpoints. But take a look at North Korea and China and ask yourself, "Do I want to live there?".

To gain a true understanding of the situation a person would need to have knowledge of the Chinese political system. The community officials exist and Chinese society is also run a little like a caste system -
1. After two previous generations of law abiding behaviour a person gains automatic membership to the Chinese Communist Party.
2. Performance determines how high they climb.

You cant demonstrate against the government, you cant slander it online and you cant incite others. Change happens by communicating your issues to the community officials. Good behaviour in the past two generations entitles you to engage fully in Chinas political system. Officals are not elected but picked from those with party membership. It isnt fool proof as you still get some corrupt individuals making high up the party ranks (because they have never been caught).

In all countries the citizens must follow. No one goes anywhere by causing problems except to a prison cell. You follow, if you have issues you raise them in the proscribed manner and you respect your political system. A single party democracy listens to its people and involves them all but the state aparatus is different.


#13    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Joined:12 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Athens, Greece

  • Dang!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I get it as for the telephone services, but why would it be necessary for the internet?

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#14    Purplos

Purplos

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,550 posts
  • Joined:03 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fighting ennui in suburban NJ

  • Everything important is infinite.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Quote

I'm not sure whether it means that people would have to use their real names when they post anything online (e.g Twitter or indeed, Forums like this),

The article does not say this, so I'm not sure what people are going on about really.

Embrace the impossible.

#15    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 30 December 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

In China your area has an official who comes across every month and asks you what your concerns and problems are. This all gets reported up the chain of command so action can be taken to fix any problems. Chinese citizens are not punished for expressing themselves to their community officials and neither do they go on any list. The people being punished are the trouble makers who dont follow the proscribed methods for redress and who try to subvert the state instead.

If you dont like the way something is run in Austrailia you join a party and campaign for changes. If you start causing problems instead you'd get punished and go on a list their too. Whatever country people live in they must follow and respect their political system to get changes. China does listen to its people and has an open line of communication with every citizen in its country.


I love the way that our media has NEVER mentioned this before. We are always made to believe that China are evil communists. lol


It's like the Gaddafi situation. I didn't actually realise how much he did for Libya and how he helped his people and country more than our government ever would.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users