Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possibly oldest Christian church

Something Like Laughter

Yahoo News link

if you havent seen this, its rather interesting. it could be the oldest Christian "church" to have been found yet.

the most interesting part of this, in my opinion, is one of the mosaics refers to "the god, Jesus Christ." That would forever put to rest the silly notion many have that the divinity of Christ was invented by Constanine and/or the Council of Nicea. but, i doubt that will happen. if anyone has found some good pictures or full translations of the mosaics, id much appriciate any links as I could not for the life of me recognize that Greek in the mosaics.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yelekiah

• ShaunZero

• Something Like Laughter

• mako

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus was a God, but not THE God. Hence why some people still called him god. Anywho, that's off-topic.

How old is this church? Maybe this would be proof that Jesus actualy existed if it's old enough =D

I dunno, unless I'm confused. >.> Wasn't christianity created a while after Jesus died or something?

::shrugs::

Edited by ZeroShadow

That can be argued, and I've done it before. If you want to argue make another topic. No wait, post on the trinity thread I made in the other forum. =P

I dunno, unless I'm confused. >.> Wasn't christianity created a while after Jesus died or something?

Yes, I believe it dates back to the 3rd century. I'll check it out in a min.

Maybe, I thought I've seen you post for both sides, for and against God. Lol, what do you beleive? I'm just curious. A skeptic Beleiver? lol.. =P

How old is this church? Maybe this would be proof that Jesus actualy existed if it's old enough =D

the church is late 3rd-early 4th century. at least thats what they are guessing from the fish mosaic and pottery fragments found on site. an exact date wont be reached until they finish the excevation. it will be interesting to see if anything is under the church. iirc many of the early churches were built on supposed holy sites.

I was just adding to it. But that mosaic is interesting. I'd like to see more pics.

if you didnt notice, the link i posted has a slide show you can look at. i think it has all the AP photos that have been released.

So does this mean now since the Jews claimed it to be ancient holy land compared to the Muslims and they got the land...with this new evidence can the Christians now claim Israel as their own?

It's funny you talk about that because documentaries on the Holy Land was on the History Channel last night. I wonder how this church will have an effect on that.

the church is late 3rd-early 4th century. at least thats what they are guessing from the fish mosaic and pottery fragments found on site. an exact date wont be reached until they finish the excevation.

Which puts it in the ball park of Constantine's council of Nicea (325 or early 4th century). Hmmm, what could that mean? :yes:

Well, the mosaic is very beautiful. Great find. Thanks. :)

Which puts it in the ball park of Constantine's council of Nicea (325 or early 4th century). Hmmm, what could that mean? :yes:

absolutely nothing?

That would forever put to rest the silly notion many have that the divinity of Christ was invented by Constanine and/or the Council of Nicea.

Really?

Really?

yes. of course, it wouldnt affect any one who doesnt hold an absurdly late date of the gospel of john, as it is rather obvious that Jesus is equated with God in it. if one looks at what the Jews thought of Wisdom and compare that to what Paul wrote of Jesus, one could get an even earlier date for when Jesus was seen as God.

Great answer amigo, that's why you are one of my favs. Debating you is always a challenge and since we actually semi-agree on this thread, I will declare a truce - until later! :D:yes:

Very intesresting archeological finding! A very good news for all the arecheologist and antropologist that studies the development of the religions trough history.