Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US storm chaser struck by lightning on camera

Still Waters

A US storm chaser says he has survived being struck by lightning, while inadvertently capturing the incident on camera.

Scott Shepherd was filming a storm from his car window in South Dakota, when he was apparently hit on the arm on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-27627636

• Like 4

I saw this on national news, it was pretty awesome. Mr. Shepherd was lucky to escape a serious injury...

• Like 1

He is a storm chaser, bet this has happened before, but this time he caught it on camera, as pointed out, you play with fire. Really? I can not believe he was surprised by this, just pleased he caught it on video.

• Like 1

He is a storm chaser, bet this has happened before, but this time he caught it on camera, as pointed out, you play with fire. Really? I can not believe he was surprised by this, just pleased he caught it on video.

He is very lucky, his arm was outside the window. The brunt of the damage was to the road not that anyone would notice since most of the roads and bridges in the US are in very bad shape.. Not sure where they are spending our tax dollars??

• Like 1

As a storm chaser, he didn't know that standing outside with a camera is gonna be a conducter.

As a storm chaser, he didn't know that standing outside with a camera is gonna be a conducter.

Rose he was in his car with the window down and is arm was outside the window. If he was outside the car he would probably be toast. He should play the lottery because his luck is very good now....

I guess I can understand the adrenalin rush that these storm chasers must experience.....but really, if your going to get up close and personal, then the chances of getting zapped by lightening is a pretty high one on mother natures agenda lol...

Still...glad the guy was ok.

Cars, as I understand it, are good insulation, but not guaranteed.

He knows now. :yes:

Cars, as I understand it, are good insulation, but not guaranteed.

Correct, faraday cage. Except cabriolets.