Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grinning shark wins photography award

Owlscrying

A remarkable photograph of a lemon shark which appears to be grinning for the camera has won an international competition.

The close-up of the shark's face was selected from more than 20,000 photos as winner of the Oceans division of the Nature's Best Photography 2008 Windland Smith Rice Awards.

American amateur photographer Bruce Yates 54, from Medina, Seattle, snapped the creature on a 15mm 'fisheye' lens in July last year in the Bahamas.

The lemon shark - Latin name Negaprion brevirostris - inhabits coastal inshore waters from New Jersey to Southern Brazil, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean in the northwestern Atlantic Ocean and along Senegal and the Ivory Coast of Africa in the eastern Atlantic.

Despite their large teeth, they represent a small threat to humans with only 10 unprovoked attacks recorded and no fatalities.

Source / Pic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• The Waterboy

• Mistydawn

• Legatus Legionis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The comment by the person says something about not having to be a professional to take pictures... I don't think the picture is too impressive, he's just lucky the subject matter happens to be funny.

Cue a Wallace & Grommet movie :lol:

We've had Feathers McGraw, maybe next we can have Fins McPherson :D

Can sharks be cute? I think it's cute!! It's expression is kinda like, "ooops, I been found out!" :D

Can sharks be cute? I think it's cute!! It's expression is kinda like, "ooops, I been found out!" :D

lol, lots of catsharks are quite cute.

lol, lots of catsharks are quite cute.

Ahhh, but you would say that!!!! (did you go home for Xmas? Party in B??)

Ahhh, but you would say that!!!! (did you go home for Xmas? Party in B??)

:) In Liverpool at the moment. Did have a departmental party in Belfast which was fun :).

:) In Liverpool at the moment. Did have a departmental party in Belfast which was fun :).

Love to all the Liverpoolians!!! - hey you must have TRILLIONS of shark tails... er, I mean Shark tales!!!

Love to all the Liverpoolians!!! - hey you must have TRILLIONS of shark tails... er, I mean Shark tales!!!

:P lol

I would like more! I hopefully have some work for the Northern Irish Environment Agency on sharks in British waters.

That's awesome, haha! I love sharks. Over the summer I went sailing in the Keys and had a few great opportunities to swim with some sharks. They're great creatures; bull sharks still scare the hell out of me, but they're cool in their own right as well.

:P lol

I would like more! I hopefully have some work for the Northern Irish Environment Agency on sharks in British waters.

Holy moley!!! There are sharks in British waters??**!?*! To think I use to swim in B'Holme bay!!! aagh!

Though of the Shark: Smile for the camera, It might win an award or something..

That's amazing. how he captured that shot still puzzles me.

That's awesome, haha! I love sharks. Over the summer I went sailing in the Keys and had a few great opportunities to swim with some sharks. They're great creatures; bull sharks still scare the hell out of me, but they're cool in their own right as well.

You swam with them? Were they great whites or what? Was there just your clothing to protect you, or were you in a 'cage?'???

*tickles under chin*

whose a good shark? whoseagoodboy!!!

You're a good boy!

wooodjieewooodjiewooo

ticklethebelly...

Whojustamputatedmyhand?

Youjustamputatedmyhand...

yesyoudid!!!

Now give it back...be a good boy...drop it...drop it....

Fetch the bag of ice and tourniquet...

Good boy...

Did you invite your friends over to play? :unsure:

Hmmm...

I think I will stick to cats and dogs... :P Scruffy has never tried to kill me...

post-2832-1231083160_thumb.jpg

Lucky man he is....

Thanks

B???

Holy moley!!! There are sharks in British waters??**!?*! To think I use to swim in B'Holme bay!!! aagh!

Yep quite a few:

Short fin mako

Porbeagle

Blue

Common thresher

Basking

All are 3m+

Occasional visitors:

Scalloped hammerhead

Tiger

We are also technically an ideal climate for the great white. Plenty of dolphin and seals to eat and cool shallow water. We just seem to get them.

You swam with them? Were they great whites or what? Was there just your clothing to protect you, or were you in a 'cage?'???

No, great whites aren't very common in the areas we were at (we were never more than five miles from on of the Keys). The ones which we saw that stick out in my memory are lemon sharks (most common), a shortfin mako, nurse sharks, some reef sharks (also quite common), and at one point two bull sharks. The shortfin mako sharks have exactly the same crazy mouths as you'd expect, haha. The bull sharks were juveniles, so they weren't too large. I think we saw a bonnethead. It looks like a hammerhead except the head portion is more like a semi-circle than a bar. One of the guys on another boat actually caught a 36 inch bonnethead and won an award for it back at base camp (pretty sweet!). We might've seen a hammerhead, but I don't remember. I'll look at the pictures we took later.

It was an amazing trip. If you ever get the opportunity, take it!

Edited by Swim4lyfe

No, great whites aren't very common in the areas we were at (we were never more than five miles from on of the Keys). The ones which we saw that stick out in my memory are lemon sharks (most common), a shortfin mako, nurse sharks, some reef sharks (also quite common), and at one point two bull sharks. The shortfin mako sharks have exactly the same crazy mouths as you'd expect, haha. The bull sharks were juveniles, so they weren't too large. I think we saw a bonnethead. It looks like a hammerhead except the head portion is more like a semi-circle than a bar. One of the guys on another boat actually caught a 36 inch bonnethead and won an award for it back at base camp (pretty sweet!). We might've seen a hammerhead, but I don't remember. I'll look at the pictures we took later.

Lemmon and nurse are everywhere in southern Florida! As are blacktips and bulls. Saw loads of all of them off Sarasota as well as great hammerheads. Saw Plenty of bonnetheads off 10k islands.

I seam with whites of Gaansbai in South Africa.

Bonnetheads are cute :D I sort of want one as a pet, haha. Oh my God dude, we saw lemon and nurse sharks all over the place. A few years ago I went snorkeling around some wrecks off of Key Largo and there were nurse sharks all over the ground. Sort of creepy, but it was interesting to watch them.

I sort of want to swim with Great Whites. It'd be a hell of an experience; I'd just need a very, very reliable crew to back me up!

Bonnetheads are cute :D I sort of want one as a pet, haha. Oh my God dude, we saw lemon and nurse sharks all over the place. A few years ago I went snorkeling around some wrecks off of Key Largo and there were nurse sharks all over the ground. Sort of creepy, but it was interesting to watch them.

I sort of want to swim with Great Whites. It'd be a hell of an experience; I'd just need a very, very reliable crew to back me up!

I like bonnetheads. Blacknoses are cool too.

Saw lot of sharks of the hilariously named Dildo Key while looking for sawfish.

The trip, in a boat, I'd go tomorrow! but to swim,...hmm, I think I'd be too cowardly. I love swimming in the ocean but sometimes I get creeped out thinking about what just 'might' be under/behind me, and boy then do I swim like an Olympic contestant to shore!! :lol:

Yep quite a few:

Short fin mako

Porbeagle

Blue

Common thresher

Basking

All are 3m+

Occasional visitors:

Scalloped hammerhead

Tiger

We are also technically an ideal climate for the great white. Plenty of dolphin and seals to eat and cool shallow water. We just seem to get them.

Jeeees! How can I have lived, whelked, fished and swam off these shores so long, and not known!!! :o

Jeeees! How can I have lived, whelked, fished and swam off these shores so long, and not known!!! :o

lol, the only place in the world with out sharks I believe the Antarctic and who can blame them!

I like bonnetheads. Blacknoses are cool too.

Saw lot of sharks of the hilariously named Dildo Key while looking for sawfish.

Haha, that's awesome man. Yeah, the sailing trip I went on took us from Lower Matacumbe Key to Key West and back. We visited a lot of reefs, but the only name I remember is Sombrero (also where we saw the bull sharks). There were a lot of beautiful swimming areas near Big Pine Key as well. I wish I could go back, haha.

Mistydawn: Go sailing! If you spot a good place, just drop anchor and jump off!