Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Scientology a religion ?

Persia

Since 1993, Scientology, which many people have long considered to be a “cult,” has been a religion in the eyes of the United States government, with the tax exemption that goes along with that. But whether it is actually a “religion” in the way that most of us think about religion is a wholly different matter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/is-scientology-a-religion/2011/07/17/gIQATEnSKI_blog.html

Arguably, you're only a cult until you've been around long enough.

that said, it's a tax dodge. People who knew Hubbard when he set up Happiology have confirmed it. Friends of Hubbard have confirmed it.

• Like 1

Scientology is a cult, I don't care how long it hangs around it will always be a cult - thetans? seriously? and because L Ron Hubbard said so no less? amazingly discombobulating.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

It's a cult. We watched a lot of documentaries about it at school and the people were talking about how the leaders of the cult would teach them how to deal with their families when their families asked them to leave scientology. Eventually they would separate them from their families completely. Doesn't sound very friendly to me.

• Like 1

It is classified as a religion by the IRS.

I consider it a business. A scam business at that.

A violent abusive scam business.

Nibs

• Like 4

The belief system itself could be seen as a religion. The Church however is without a doubt a cult.

We have had several cases on that in Germany, and Scientology was never allowed to operate as a religious community. The official status they have in Germany is that of membership corporation, very much like a sports or cigar club. They are also under close observation by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution.

I am glad it is like that, as I very much believe that is is a cult. A very dangerous and evil one indeed.

• Like 1

It is many things ...A cult...a scam..and a religion

"Quickest way to make a millions dollars is to start a religion."

...probably followed by "U mad bro?"

I am glad it is like that, as I very much believe that is is a cult. A very dangerous and evil one indeed.

Is there a religious cult that is not dangerous and evil?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Good remark, Beckys_Mom. Well, it is debatable whether it's a cult or not (it does have cult-like structures), but I would not call the Freemasons dangerous and evil. Or the Jedis in the UK, which are now a recognized religion.

Good remark, Beckys_Mom. Well, it is debatable whether it's a cult or not (it does have cult-like structures), but I would not call the Freemasons dangerous and evil. Or the Jedis in the UK, which are now a recognized religion.

Give them time

In my opinion ALL religions started as a Cult. Christianity started as a handful of followers didn't it.??? Scientolgy the same way...and many,many others.

Who knows...a thousand years from now Scientology may be bigger than Christianity..??? And they may look back and say that Christians or Muslims are a Cult.

I'm just saying... :rofl:

• Like 1

In my opinion ALL religions started as a Cult. Christianity started as a handful of followers didn't it.??? Scientolgy the same way...and many,many others.

Who knows...a thousand years from now Scientology may be bigger than Christianity..??? And they may look back and say that Christians or Muslims are a Cult.

I'm just saying... :rofl:

The only way to "advance" or become a better member of Scientology and learn it's doctrine is by money.

Their "religious texts" are secret and unless you pony up the money, you don't get to become a good or great Scientologist.

As far as I know, all other religions don't consider their religious texts as proprietary and secret.

Nibs

No...but they expect a donation or sacrifice to the chosen Church or GOD now don't they. In the Bible somewhere..??? I believe is mentions something about giving part of your earnings to the Church...well at least with Scientology you feel like your gettin something for your money... :tu:

Look at the Temple in INDIA for instance...they have found Hundreds of Millions worth of tributes given to the temple...but yet people are starving.??? Hmmmmmm....

No...but they expect a donation or sacrifice to the chosen Church or GOD now don't they. In the Bible somewhere..??? I believe is mentions something about giving part of your earnings to the Church...well at least with Scientology you feel like your gettin something for your money... :tu:

You can still be part of a church/mosque/temple and NOT donate. Scientology doesn't work that way. You do NOT get to learn the doctrine unless you pay.

Look at the Temple in INDIA for instance...they have found Hundreds of Millions worth of tributes given to the temple...but yet people are starving.??? Hmmmmmm....

Yeah, just like the Catholic Church. False trail. Not the same thing.

Nibs

Since 1993, Scientology, which many people have long considered to be a “cult,” has been a religion in the eyes of the United States government, with the tax exemption that goes along with that. But whether it is actually a “religion” in the way that most of us think about religion is a wholly different matter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/is-scientology-a-religion/2011/07/17/gIQATEnSKI_blog.html

"I like to describe Scientology as a global spiritual enterprise – a religious corporation with a far greater emphasis on the “corporate,” profit-making side of the ledger."

That doesn't sound like any type of religion to me. It sounds more like a bunch of people that pretty much care about money, based on the above statment. I think it's b***s**t.

"I like to describe Scientology as a global spiritual enterprise – a religious corporation with a far greater emphasis on the “corporate,” profit-making side of the ledger."

That doesn't sound like any type of religion to me. It sounds more like a bunch of people that pretty much care about money, based on the above statment. I think it's b***s**t.

Well then wouldn't a religion that worships money and profiteering be legit?

Since Scientology won't admit to its doctrine, it is not a religion.

A religion? Hardly. What's that shock device they use called? I forget, but the whole thing is crazy. I would think that a "religion" should at least be a few hundred years old.

Side Note: Everytime 'anonymous' attacks Scientology...they get even more interesting. Go Anon!

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

Scientology is a money making scheme. Not even the head leaders actually believe any of it.

Scientology is a money making scheme. Not even the head leaders actually believe any of it.

I actually think the celebrities do buy into it, especially Tom Cruise. That guy's a few bricks short. I feel bad for Katie.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

But isn't Tom Cruise one of the leaders by now? I remember that being said after his beautiful speech leaked.

Oh, by the way, I have casually met Tom Cruise on 2 occasions, and he did not seem "a few bricks short" at all. Just a bit stiff and eccentric.