Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dark Matter?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    BriandG

BriandG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:31 AM

I was just watching The Universe on The History Channel and tonights show is on dark matter.  They state that dark matter is invisible and I think the only way they said they can detect it right now and correct me if i am wrong is with gravitational lens.  Now I got to thinking what if dark matter exists in say a 4th dimension.  Well if that was the case then we would maybe never be able to see it since we only see in 3 dimensions.  Would this make any sense?

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."

#2    sumthingnice60

sumthingnice60

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:22 AM

According to relativity, time is the 4th dimension. So, dark matter would not exist in the 4th dimension.

I think that dark matter is still within the realm of 3 dimensions. Just because it's invisible doesn't mean it's not in our dimension. There are lots of invisible things we can detect yet they are still within our 3d space.

#3    BriandG

BriandG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

Yea I got thinking about that this morning and actualy forgot time is considered in the 4th dimension but superstring theroy does alow for more the 4 dimensions if i am correct.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."

#4    sumthingnice60

sumthingnice60

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:43 AM

Yes, there are a few theories that allow for more than 4 dimensions but like I said earlier, just because we can't see something doesn't necessarily make it in another dimension.

#5    oldie

oldie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:38 AM

When scientists do not have a clue and their little equations do not work, they invent things such as dark matter and dark energy. They will never find it.

#6    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

Well, we know it exists in the same dimensions that we do, we see it's effects on the shape of the universe. Other than that, we really dont know much about it. Perhaps we'll have to find some and perform tests on it.

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#7    vince4prez

vince4prez

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

The only reason dark matter is invisible is because it's in front of a dark background (space). Dark energy is a different ballgame.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users