Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living in the hundreds of years...any proof ?

mfrmboy

In the bible it says people lived to be many hundreds of years old ( Methuselah lived 969 years [Genesis 5:27] . Is there any solid proof of people living this long?

I thought back then they had a shorter life expectancy than we do now.

Edited by mfrmboy

Ofcourse not. even the sumerians had kings that supposely ruled for thousands of years.

When you think about these things it becomes clear one has to see time relatively. What is a year too us might be 12 to them. If one would take that logic one would only have to be 76 years old to reach 920 years.

I have often thought about this. Due to the number of things we do not know about the past, it is kind of impossible to tell.

In my mind, if this did happen, it may well be due to reincarnation beliefs, so one king ruling for 1000's of years, would be possible if they thought that the king had been reincarnated a number of times.

Another possible reason is manna. I know god apparently gave a machine to the Israelites when they were in the desert. Well he did not give them a machine as such in the bible, but from other sources a machine is possible. Also this relies on 'God' being a being from another planet/future, but it is feasible that 'aliens' would have this kind of technology to create a food source which is so pure that it could sustain life to its full potential. Even prolonging it. But who is to say if 100 years is supposed to be our limit?

Although, for certain .. a year back then is the same as a year now. They knew so much about stars and seasons, and these are still the same now. (although less than a millisecond, a really tiny little bit of time, is gained each year, but even in 10.00000 years, this would still not be noticeable atall.)

what proof are you looking for? documentation, skeletons

Any proof of anyone living to be hundreds of years old. Today we have people that live to be just over a hundred.

In the bible it says people lived to be many hundreds of years old ( Methuselah lived 969 years [Genesis 5:27] . Is there any solid proof of people living this long?

None whatsoever.

Also, no proof of any Israelite captivity/ exodus from Egypt either.

I think they where calling the moons back then years, it's the only logical conclusion. 12-13 moons in one year of ours, times 70 (average life span roughly) you would get 840-910. Somebody who lived to 100 (our time) would be 1200-1300 in moons.

Methuselah would have been 77, which is far more logical to understand.

Edited by HavocWing

The state only accepts original birth certificates as proof of age and these have only been around 160 years in the UK.

There are gravestones in old graveyards with peoples lifespan recorded as 200 even 300 years. Church records of saints etc also have some living several hundred years. Some Chinese emperors are recorded as being several hundred years old at death too.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

The state only accepts original birth certificates as proof of age and these have only been around 160 years in the UK.

There are gravestones in old graveyards with peoples lifespan recorded as 200 even 300 years. Church records of saints etc also have some living several hundred years. Some Chinese emperors are recorded as being several hundred years old at death too.

Do you have any pics of these gravestones ? I have never seen any that old.

OR, and this is crazy, I know... it could all be stories made up by people.

• Like 3

I think they where calling the moons back then years, it's the only logical conclusion. 12-13 moons in one year of ours, times 70 (average life span roughly) you would get 840-910. Somebody who lived to 100 (our time) would be 1200-1300 in moons.

That really does make alot more sense than them living to be 900 + years. Could you imagine having to keep up with how many moons old you are?

As far as gravestones with 200-300 year spans, I don't know. But I tell my grandkids that my life goes back seven decades, which is misleading but no lie. I'm 55.

The moons make a lot of sense though. Anyone remember F-Troop?

"You ever see a war dance"?

"Yes, many moons ago. Many, many, many moons ago".

"You and your moons. When"?

"Forty-two years ago-August".

Edited by Hippycrite

IMHO, it was all a matter of rendering honor to age. It was the usual method at that time to honor the ancient ones with an excessive number of years. Considering that the average longevity, only 2000 years ago, was about 40, it's only obvious that four or six thousand years ago, one could not live that long of a life.

According to Numbers 14:34, the Israelites were doomed to wander in the desert for 40 years just to eliminate all that generation that had left Egypt. It means that at that time, a generation was within the averange of 40 years. The average generation prior to the Flood could have been of even less than that.

Let us take Abraham and Sarah for instance; it was said of Sarah that she was barren, hence she could not bear children. The text says that, at the time Abraham had a vision about the birth of Isaac, they were: Abraham 100 years old and Sarah 90. (Gen. 17:17) A 90 years old woman could not be said that she was unable to bear children because she was barren but because she was too old. Leaving aside the tradition to honor age by adding years to one's age, Sarah could have been on her late 40's and Abraham on his late 50's. Besides, bareness is, in most cases, a temporary condition in a woman prior to menopause. To bear a child, a woman must ovulate, and women do not ovulate after menopause, which occurs between 45 and 55. That's what it means when Sarah laughed at the idea to bear a child.

Talking about a miracle, God would have gone against His own laws, which Baruch de Spinoza says, it would be tantamount to degrade God down to the level of a Greek god. He meant weakness in God.

I am reminded of my late Yemenite wife who was of such a traditional family that I could never find out how old her parents were. Whenever I asked, the answer would always be: "Ad 120 bezrat haShem" which means, till 120 with the help of God. She died at 106, so I was told, although she looked 76.

Well, the bottom line is that, to add years to the years of one's life was a traditional method to honor age. Therefore, the ancient ones from before the Flood might not have been that old after all.

Ben

I like this explanation. But, this shortens the history of man a great deal. If you interpret the Bible literally, as a creationist might, human history is shortened radically. A good reconciliation of the scientific evidence for humanities long develpopment and the fossil record appears to be needed. In my opinion.

That's pretty much a rational way to interpret the hyperbolism in the age of the ancient ones from before the Flood. As some Jews today from Yemen take it, it means to honor the old folks.

Ben

The early books of the Bible liked to stretch numbers. There were supposedly gigantic armies with tens of thousands of soldiers who retreated after only a few dozen casualties.

The early books of the Bible liked to stretch numbers. There were supposedly gigantic armies with tens of thousands of soldiers who retreated after only a few dozen casualties.

Do you know something, Scowl? I do not see contradiction is those exaggerations among the ancient ones; but a show-off to either extoll the power of a nation or to cause fear, as Gideon did with his 300 heroes.

Ben

I once saw in Tarzan the animated series...bear with me here. I once saw in that series an episode that was about poeple living for hundreds of years. It was revealed that the people were not actually hundreds of years old but were only said to be because they counted the ages of their decendants together and added that sum amount to their age... :blush: It's one way of looking at it...Tarzan.

Edited by Sean93

• 3 weeks later...

I once saw in Tarzan the animated series...bear with me here. I once saw in that series an episode that was about poeple living for hundreds of years. It was revealed that the people were not actually hundreds of years old but were only said to be because they counted the ages of their decendants together and added that sum amount to their age... :blush: It's one way of looking at it...Tarzan.

Hey Sean, that's interesting! I see a lot of possibility that it was the same custom among the ancient ones to sum up the years of life of the ancerstors and add them to one's own life and count as his; especially if one was a famous figure in the society.

Ben