Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran: Lifting Sanctions, Coming Betrayal

Phaeton80

http://www.brookings...an_strategy.pdf

US policymakers have long conspired to broker what would be meant to appear as a historic deal with the political order in Tehran. It would be a deal almost unreasonably compromising for the United States, in order to enhance the illusion that the West sought every means to integrate Iran peacefully back into the "international community" before resorting to armed and direct military aggression.

Bottom Line

With blunt honesty, the report opens by declaring Iran a confounding nation that undermines America's interests and influence in the Middle East. Not once is it mentioned that the Islamic Republic poses any direct threat to the security of the United States itself. In fact, Iran is described as a nation intentionally avoiding provocations that would justify military operations to be conducted against it.

Iran's motivations are listed as being ideological, nationalistic, and security driven - very understandable considering the nations to its east and west are currently occupied by invading armies. This is the crux of the issue, where it's America's interests in the region, not security, that motivate it to meddle in Iran's sovereignty, and is a theme that repeats itself throughout the 156 page report.

Brookings policymakers acknowledge the necessity to first neutralize Syria before moving against Iran itself. It also prescribes the delisting of US State Department foreign terrorist organizations in order for the US to then arm and back them in a proxy war against Tehran. Among the terrorist organizations mentioned was Mojahedin-e-Khalq (MEK), a terrorist organization guilty of years of violence including the kidnapping and murder of American service members and American civilians. MEK has also continued carrying out terrorist attacks against political and civilian targets in Iran up to present day.

It should be noted that these 2009 "suggestions" eventually manifested themselves as the current, ongoing conflict in Syria and Iraq where US, Saudi, and Turkish-backed terrorists are waging war against Syrian, Iraqi, Iranian, and Russian backed political and military fronts, as well as the eventual delisting of MEK.

It is clear then, that the Brookings paper was more than a collection of mere suggestions. It was an anthology of various operations arrayed against Tehran either ongoing or in the planning stages as of 2009.

The only scenarios that have not yet been implemented were those dealing with full-scale war by the West against Tehran predicated on either a staged provocation, or a "superb offer" the Iranians "rejected" or failed to fulfill that justified direct Western - including Israeli - aggression.

Brookings' "Superb Offer..."

Brookings policymakers themselves openly admitted in "Which Path to Persia?" [page 39] that:

"...any military operation against Iran will likely be very unpopular around the world and require the proper international context—both to ensure the logistical support the operation would require and to minimize the blowback from it.
The best way to minimize international opprobrium and maximize support (however, grudging or covert) is to strike only when there is a widespread conviction that the Iranians were given but then rejected a superb offer—one so good that only a regime determined to acquire nuclear weapons and acquire them for the wrong reasons would turn it down
. Under those circumstances, the United States (or Israel) could portray its operations as taken in sorrow, not anger, and at least some in the international community would conclude that the Iranians “brought it on themselves” by refusing a very good deal."

The Syrian arena in particular has long been acknowledged to be a proxy war between the West and Iran, and to a greater extent, between the West and Russian-Chinese influence.

As early as 2007 - a full 4 years before the 2011 "Arab Spring" and the war in Syria would begin - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Seymour Hersh in his New Yorker article titled, ""
" would warn specifically:

"To undermine Iran, which is predominantly Shiite, the Bush Administration has decided, in effect, to reconfigure its priorities in the Middle East. In Lebanon, the Administration has coöperated with Saudi Arabia’s government, which is Sunni, in clandestine operations that are intended to weaken Hezbollah, the Shiite organization that is backed by Iran.
The U.S. has also taken part in clandestine operations aimed at Iran and its ally Syria. A by-product of these activities has been the bolstering of Sunni extremist groups that espouse a militant vision of Islam and are hostile to America and sympathetic to Al Qaeda.
"

Things are, as a rule, not what they seem in the world of geo strategical politics. At this macro level civilians - especially those of 'the ruling empire' - are fed a narrative that is either incomplete, laced with half truths, even blatant deceit in an attempt to acquire the strategical aspirations set by the ruling elite. This has been the case since the dawn of civilization, and thus has been an integral part of world history. "The end justifies the means.."

It would be hoped that Iran understands that it is by no means "exceptional," and that no matter how tempting the West's "superb offer" may seem, that Tehran would prepare fully for betrayal, suddenly and completely, by those brokering it. This hope for Iranian caution would be based on the assumption that Tehran watched and understood the full process of Libya's destruction.
Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 4

A new generation of fine men and women readied for the slaughter and to the slaughter ...

~

• Like 1

Good post thanks for the share.

I'm becoming really disheartened by the apathy of Americans when it comes to the nefarious scheming of our nation. We have destroyed civilized nations in our relentless drive towards global dominance for nothing more than not wanting to be a serfdom in the USA's kingdom.

Milosovich, Assad, Hussein and Ghadaffi all were planning on selling oil in currencies other than the US dollar just prior to committing their "atrocities" the western media worked so hard to convince us needed stopping. Recently the concept of the "petro dollar" has gone from the realm of conspiracy theory to documented fact.

Same with the US arming and generally materially supporting terrorist groups and this nation gives a collective , meh.

• Like 3

Iran is described as a nation intentionally avoiding provocations that would justify military operations to be conducted against it.

Then why are they doing this?

While the U.S. Navy stressed it knew the drone was unarmed and the flyover didn't interrupt U.S. operations in the war against the Islamic State group, the incident underlined the continued tension over control of waterways crucial to global oil supplies. It follows a rocket test last month by the Islamic Republic near coalition warships and commercial traffic, as well as Iran's brief capture of American sailors who strayed into its territorial waters.

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-says-flew-drone-over-us-aircraft-carrier-070505728.html

• Like 3

I thought it was funny when the US lifted sanctions, made a spy trade, got our guys on an airplane, and then reimposed some of the sanctions. HA HA HA!... Good one...

Also it was funny to me that of the seven(?) Iranians we traded back for our guys, six of them refused (or wanted to refuse?) to leave the USA to go back to Iran.

• Like 2

Don't trust Iran.

Now why would that be I do wonder. Certainly not based on bare facts, certainly not juxtaposed to good ol' USA. For if we would base our sentiment on facts alone, it should be overly obvious the Iranians have much more to distrust than vice versa.

Distrust against Iran is largely based on emotion fuelled by tendentious, biased and strongly politically motivated mainstream media reports (the deplorable state of which alone should be reason enough for a nationwide revolt). Distrust against the USA is largely based on a rich myriad of cold hard (historical and not so historical) facts.

The basis for this US policy is the fact that Iran poses a threat to US (hegemonic) interests.. Not her national security. This is why Iran is demonised, alike Assad is demonised, alike Putin is demonised. None of them truely stand out in criminal / inhumane behaviour (unless you believe the official narrative; say Assad engaging in gassing his own population mere weeks after Obama's red line threat), none of them pose any threat to national security. However, all of them pose a direct threat to attaining geo strategical goals set by US as well as her closest allies (Israel, SA et al). This is the only aspect that sets them apart from any other regime, like that of North Korea, like that of Eritrea, like that of Tunis, or the biggest elephant in the proverbial room; 'our great ally Saudi Arabia' (the very 'homeland' of Wahhabism.. where beheading people without due process is all but a favourite national passtime). The nefarious bias in all these demonisation schemes is so obvious only those soully dependent on the mainstream media landscape are oblivious to it.

• Like 2

Now why would that be I do wonder. Certainly not based on bare facts, certainly not juxtaposed to good ol' USA. For if we would base our sentiment on facts alone, it should be overly obvious the Iranians have much more to distrust than vice versa.

Distrust against Iran is largely based on emotion fuelled by tendentious, biased and strongly politically motivated mainstream media reports (the deplorable state of which alone should be reason enough for a nationwide revolt). Distrust against the USA is largely based on a rich myriad of cold hard (historical and not so historical) facts.

The basis for this US policy is the fact that Iran poses a threat to US (hegemonic) interests.. Not her national security. This is why Iran is demonised, alike Assad is demonised, alike Putin is demonised. None of them truely stand out in criminal / inhumane behaviour (unless you believe the official narrative; say Assad engaging in gassing his own population mere weeks after Obama's red line threat), none of them pose any threat to national security. However, all of them pose a direct threat to attaining geo strategical goals set by US as well as her closest allies (Israel, SA et al). This is the only aspect that sets them apart from any other regime, like that of North Korea, like that of Eritrea, like that of Tunis, or the biggest elephant in the proverbial room; 'our great ally Saudi Arabia' (the very 'homeland' of Wahhabism.. where beheading people without due process is all but a favourite national passtime). The nefarious bias in all these demonisation schemes is so obvious only those soully dependent on the mainstream media landscape are oblivious to it.

^^^^^^ Damn , great post

Dudes you one day may regret your views. Iran has called for the elimination of the Jewish state and culling of adherents of Judaism. They provide arms and aid to Hezbollah. The Saudi government is a friend to only themselves.

The US has done wicked deeds and shady deals but most were in the guise of winning the Cold War. Don't judge us too harshly.

• Like 2

I might regret a lot of things, but refusing to be ushered into yet another US led war based on thesame template they have been using all across the ME will probably not be one of them.

So what did Ahmadinejad actually say? To quote his exact words in farsi:

”Imam ghoft een rezhim-e ishghalgar-e qods bayad az safheh-ye ruzgar mahv shavad.”

That passage will mean nothing to most people, but one word might ring a bell: rezhim-e. It is the word “Regime“, pronounced just like the English word with an extra “eh” sound at the end. Ahmadinejad did not refer to Israel the country or Israel the land mass, but the Israeli regime.

The full quote translated directly to English:

“The Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time”.

Concerning SA being a friend to only themselves.. I would humbly beg to differ.

bowing%20to%20Saudi%20King.jpg

Im curious, are you at all familiar with operation TPAJAX? We pushed this nation towards its present orthodox, theological government. It was a democratically elected, modern government in the days of Mossadeq. But once this government decided it should take back its natural resources from Western multinationals, we stepped in and overthrew Mossadeq.. Which resulted in the unwanted monarchical rule (Shah Pahlavi), which resulted in the Iranian Revolution.

..I think it might be time Americans start judinging their government a wee bit more harshly to be completely honest. Dont get me wrong btw, I love the American people, and what the nation used to stand for (Constitution, Bill of Rights).. A true bastion of Freedom.

Not anymore though. It all went up side down somwhere..

[Pssst.. want to hear a politician call for all out genocide? Check out

trying to demonise the whole of the Palestinian population, and call for their total destruction {not the 'Palestinian regime' mind you, the population}] Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 3

Some interesting contextual information I just ran across..

Dudes you one day may regret your views. Iran has called for the elimination of the Jewish state and culling of adherents of Judaism. They provide arms and aid to Hezbollah. The Saudi government is a friend to only themselves.

The US has done wicked deeds and shady deals but most were in the guise of winning the Cold War. Don't judge us too harshly.

Im not proclaiming Iran to be a great humanitarian nation or anything like that but when you look at our relationship with them its clear we are the aggressor in the relationship and they are not a physical threat to the US. The CIA has admitted they were behind the ouster of the Shah of Iran in '53 and we as a nation have followed very much the same playbook every since.

look at what we're doing in Syria and Libya, neither one has anything to do with past cold war sins, battling terrorism or humanitarianism. We are destroying a nation for one simple purpose: profits. In 2013 the anti propoganda law in America was repealed, not that i really think it was being followed anyways they just went ahead and made State TV official, so any "news" we receive is suspect at absolute best.

• Like 4

IMO Iran is compromising with the west only to buy the time to grow stronger and achieve atomic weapons.

Then your opinion of Iran must be based on imagination, speculation and propaganda for the war industry. Therefore, the violation of Iran's civil rights is the answer? Compared with an actually aggressive country like North Korea, who actually achieved atomic weapons, who the politicians ignore, we're going to go control Iran instead? Again?

Let's insist our leaders and ourselves have some perspective in how we dole out our just punishments in the world, especially if we're going to insist on sitting in the moral high chair like this.

• Like 2

I might regret a lot of things, but refusing to be ushered into yet another US led war based on thesame template they have been using all across the ME will probably not be one of them.

”Imam ghoft een rezhim-e ishghalgar-e qods bayad az safheh-ye ruzgar mahv shavad.”

That passage will mean nothing to most people, but one word might ring a bell: rezhim-e. It is the word “Regime“, pronounced just like the English word with an extra “eh” sound at the end. Ahmadinejad did not refer to Israel the country or Israel the land mass, but the Israeli regime.

“The Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time”.

Im curious, are you at all familiar with operation TPAJAX? We pushed this nation towards its present orthodox, theological government. It was a democratically elected, modern government in the days of Mossadeq. But once this government decided it should take back its natural resources from Western multinationals, we stepped in and overthrew Mossadeq.. Which resulted in the unwanted monarchical rule (Shah Pahlavi), which resulted in the Iranian Revolution.

..I think it might be time Americans start judinging their government a wee bit more harshly to be completely honest. Dont get me wrong btw, I love the American people, and what the nation used to stand for (Constitution, Bill of Rights).. A true bastion of Freedom.

trying to demonise the whole of the Palestinian population, and call for their total destruction {not the 'Palestinian regime' mind you, the population}]

The Imam is right, unless Obama is wrong that "Assad must go." because it's saying the exact same thing. So because Obama said it, then that means foreign countries shouldn't trust us, should sanction us, bomb us, invade us or destroy us for it? Yes, Obama did say the exact same thing, and therefore that's the whole of the mind of the USA?

The Imam is right, unless we all equate regime change to destroying a country, then we also have to admit that what our foreign policy is doing is destroying other countries. What a pickle that's going to be to have to eat.

But we can't have it both ways. We can't invent reasons for bloodshed when an Imam in Iran says something about regime change, then totally ignore ourselves actually doing it. It's probably the greatest living example of hypocrisy in the world today. Maybe not the greatest, but I can't think of a greater hypocrisy from an actor on the world stage today than that.

• Like 1

Im not proclaiming Iran to be a great humanitarian nation or anything like that but when you look at our relationship with them its clear we are the aggressor in the relationship and they are not a physical threat to the US. The CIA has admitted they were behind the ouster of the Shah of Iran in '53 and we as a nation have followed very much the same playbook every since.

look at what we're doing in Syria and Libya, neither one has anything to do with past cold war sins, battling terrorism or humanitarianism. We are destroying a nation for one simple purpose: profits. In 2013 the anti propoganda law in America was repealed, not that i really think it was being followed anyways they just went ahead and made State TV official, so any "news" we receive is suspect at absolute best

Iran threatens the US when it threatens Israel. That is all I said.

That's saying a lot isn't it?

Iranians say "death to traffic" and "death to Israel". Other than sensationalizing it and war mongering over a foreign manner of speaking, I still haven't heard any actual threats yet.

Sir how would you respond if I would argue the state of Israel in fact constitutes a direct threat to the sovereignty of the United States of America, and has been undermining that sovereignty for decades now..

One of the most influential lobbying groups in America, it is often argued that no politician can be elected into office without AIPAC’s support. No president can take the White House without affirming unbreakable allegiance to Israel, and attendance at the annual AIPAC meeting is mandatory. Once in office every member of Congress is expected to act, vote and defend the state of Israel on almost every issue, or face the consequences.

Originally called the American Zionist Committee for Public Affairs, the American-Israeli Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) was an offshoot of the American Zionist Council, changing names in 1963. With a sole purpose to advocate for the state of Israel, AIPAC ought to be listed with the US government as a Foreign Agent; instead, the Committee continually denies receiving any funds from Israel.

To sacrifice US's interests for those of Israel is a treasonous act, and such acts are absolutely rife within the US governement, congress. Both elements are seeded with US - Israeli dual nationals, treating Netanyahu as their true leader; openly ridiculing the US president for not engaging in another war, calling for 'a strong leader' like 'Bibi'. Making abundantly clear where their allegiance lies, like a feudal vassal to his liege lord. The Israel lobby is dictating your foreign policy, your government. And it is not in the interest of the American People. Now tell me which nation poses a direct threat to US sovereignty, US nationals.. The one which hasnt started a war during the last ~100 years being continually harassed through the positionning of military bases along its borders and being strained by unsubstantiated sanctions.. or the nation which seeded its ideological constituants into the very heart of your nation under the guise of everlasting friendship; ushering the US into war after war effectively using her as the Zionist state's personal attack dog.. I am no fan of Iran, let this be absolutely clear. But the deranged up side down subjectivity at play in the general consensus in this context is nothing less than mindnumbing.

• Like 3

The latest sanctions against Iran based on their ballistic missile program is a new indication o/t level of malificent bias, hypocricy at play here. If facts would be the basis for such sanctions, it would be the US and Israel who should be sanctioned, not Iran. "If youre friends with us, you can have all the weaponry you desire.. or sell them to anyone you desire. If you'd just play ball, all will be peachy" is what it bares down to.

Concerning the nuclear arms development; the ideological Israeli regime has one of the largest stockpiles of undeclared nuclear arms in the world at Dimona, while refusing to sign the non proliferation treaty.. maintaining a long-standing policy of deliberate ambiguity. If any nation deserves sanctions held against her, it is Israel.

Edited by Phaeton80

Save your breath. In the view of these guys, America IS the great satan. They regularly demonize and blame the US for every wrong under the sun. If Iran, tomorrow tested a nuke or declared themselves a nuke power these guys would still be making excuses for them. It isn't really about Iran for them, it's about hating the US. They are free to hate whoever they choose. My one satisfaction when thinking of people like this is that a day is coming when they too will have to survive in a world of their own choosing. I suspect their hatred won't be enough to soothe the reality of it.
  • Like 4

Save your breath. In the view of these guys, America IS the great satan. They regularly demonize and blame the US for every wrong under the sun. If Iran, tomorrow tested a nuke or declared themselves a nuke power these guys would still be making excuses for them. It isn't really about Iran for them, it's about hating the US. They are free to hate whoever they choose. My one satisfaction when thinking of people like this is that a day is coming when they too will have to survive in a world of their own choosing. I suspect their hatred won't be enough to soothe the reality of it.

Grow the hell up. Seriously. Hiding behind nationalism and demonizing those who dare speak out is immature and feeble minded. Noone has espoused hatred for the US, simply posted facts. I love America, just like I love my kids. When my kids are being dumbasses I call em out on it. Same deal here.

• Like 4

Only facts have been used in the comments you seem to refer to. To sweep all these comments aside while screaming 'hater' is simply irrational, but exactly what is expected from your person. Ironically, you try and assasinate our character by tendentiously labelling us as demonising all the US does, while in fact you passionately defend all that Israel does - in effect demonising everyone who does not follow your irrational, fanatical black & white paradigm.

Edit: nice picture btw.. you look strikingly like a member of my family.

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 2

trying to demonise the whole of the Palestinian population, and call for their total destruction {not the 'Palestinian regime' mind you, the population}]

And what did Rafsanjani say?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1328469/posts

Or, more recently,

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/11/09/iran_s_khamenei_israel_must_be_annihilated.html

You know full well what the Iranian leaders want - and openly declare they want but you keep shilling for them. You really think that when that day comes, you and your family won't be affected when Israel burns? Good luck with that.

• Like 1

You know full well what the Iranian leaders want - and openly declare they want but you keep shilling for them. You really think that when that day comes, you and your family won't be affected when Israel burns? Good luck with that.

So maybe im missing something. How exactly will me and my family (living in America) be affected if israel burns?

Earlier in the day, a crowd of about 50,000 people took part in the rally in sizzling heat at Tehran's Palestine Square, while others celebrated in hundreds of towns and cities across the country.

“The crime of Israel is the crime of America!” a voice blared over a loudspeaker.

“Death to America and death to Israel,” the crowd shouted back.

U.S. and Israeli flags were set afire. Posters showing President Obama, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Saudi King Salman were consumed by flames.

The government helped build the crowd by busing in participants. Others took subways that were free of charge for the occasion.

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-iran-anti-us-rally-20150710-story.html#