Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Charity at the Supermarket

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I just saw this news article and thought it fitted well in this thread.

Charity donations down 20%, says UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20304267

Posted Image

#32    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,124 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

All they need to do is read this thread to learn why it's down. LOL I read some of the comments and they range from "everyone should always give" to more like what is being said here.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#33    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Our charities here seem to be up in the fashion stakes. resently we have on our shopping streets a group of around 6 young adults all wearing the same waterproof jackets, clipboards and pens with the name of the charity on, surely this must have cost a touch? A t.shirt and a pair of jeans would have sufficed!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#34    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,902 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 13 November 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Our charities here seem to be up in the fashion stakes. presently we have on our shopping streets a group of around 6 young adults all wearing the same waterproof jackets, clipboards and pens with the name of the charity on, surely this must have cost a touch? A t.shirt and a pair of jeans would have sufficed!

Not the first time that's been seen, either!

Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#35    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 13 November 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

I just saw this news article and thought it fitted well in this thread.

Charity donations down 20%, says UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20304267

So women give more than men. Wonder why?  I tend to think the Charities in the recession probably realise that many households are struggling to survive and they should concentrate their efforts on the big business and corporate finances that are ripping us all off every day.

The ones at the top don't give proportionally, not all obviously, but most.

Posted Image

#36    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

View Postealdwita, on 13 November 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

Not the first time that's been seen, either!

Posted Image
No clipboards, obviously things have progressed since then.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#37    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

Okay the heat is on. In my Superdoopermarket today, the guy packing my groceries with his bucket at the ready, had no sign to say what he was collecting for... so ask says you... okaaaay, but you don't live in my neck of the woods. He was pretty intimidating looking. I will complain to the Store, but at that moment, I still had to shell out cash...

Posted Image

#38    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

There's bigger obstructions in the High Street than charity workers....
You've got survey compilers,people flogging outside a shop and youths bumming cigarettes.
There's no point turning your nose up at charity collections.
However I agree that if they thrust their bucket in your face you should really learn how to sidestep.
The cynics would say some of these charities are unregistered anyway.
That's why you must supply them with your unwanted loose change.

Edited by Walnut Whip, 09 December 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users