Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gravity hill - ball rolls up

Saru

Often this is the case of an optical illusion where the hill looks like it goes up but is actually slightly down hill, read up on the gold hill story.

• Like 1

It doesnt take a rocket surgeon to run the film backwards and overdub the sound either.

thanks though Saru

KanjiWolf is right. While I cannot vouch that this hill is slightly downward, this optical illusion happens to me daily at work. Building highway I often come to a stretch of road where it looks uphill. Once you work the section that looks like you are going uphill, you will turn around and it appears that you are going uphill again. I normally see this right when the road, or oil field pad is about grade.

It doesnt take a rocket surgeon to run the film backwards and overdub the sound either.

thanks though Saru

Actually, i wouldn't be too eager to label it as a fake; there's a place in Scotland where a very similar thing is supposed to happen. I believe it's somewhere near Ayr. I expect it probably is an optical Illusion, but it's not necessarily a fraud.

there is actually a road near me that has been dubbed gravity hill. it happens in many places. an optical illusion where the road is actually a down grade but the surrounding embankment and land has a grade which appears in the opposite angle. Its purely optics. On the one near me, you can actually stop your car at the "bottom", put it in neutral, and take your foot off the brake to start rolling fairly fast "uphill". Nothing strange about it other than the land on the sides only looks makes it look like you are going uphill.

every state has one!

here's the one near me and a couple showing the uphill car ride. LOL....ours looks even more uphill than the fact or faked. even better, at the top..or bottom rather LOL, there is an optical "hump in the road". making it seem like your cresting over the top.

[media=]

Edited by Sheetz

I believe this case is simialr to the fake San Antonio Railway Tracks in which cars are supposedly pushed over the crossing by ghost children.

That place also has the same illusion, just put a ground level on the floor and see for yourself.

Often this is the case of an optical illusion where the hill looks like it goes up but is actually slightly down hill, read up on the gold hill story.

I would have said ''Always this is the case'' :)

• Like 1

This is always the case. :o) There are multiple places like this around the country, and they've been found, using land survey equipment, that they are always at a slight decline. The surrounding environment provides the illusion.

There is one of those in Florida, called Spook Hill. You put your car in neutral and it looks like you are rolling up hill. It is an optical illulion. It is a fun thing to do in centrol Florida, though and it is free. Kids loved it. http://www.visitcentralflorida.org/destinations/spook-hill

There is a hill like this near to me called Hangmans Hill. The effect is great at night, you drive to the bottom of the hill (well 30ft slope), stop your car, leave it in neutral and it rolls backwards up the hill you just drove down...

This was pretty scary for a bunch of teenagers (I was one years ago!) in a car in the dark, until we got out and put a drinks can on the floor next to the car. Once out of the car the illusion is completely ruined and you realise the car was actually rolling downhill...

I would have said ''Always this is the case'' :)

I suppose you're right!

A LASER level can quickly show the true pitch of the road. Mystery solved......unless it still rolls "uphill".....