Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars May Be Habitable Today

Waspie_Dwarf

Mars May Be Habitable Today, Scientists Say

LOS ANGELES — While Mars was likely a more hospitable place in its wetter, warmer past, the Red Planet may still be capable of supporting microbial life today, some scientists say.

Ongoing research in Mars-like places such as Antarctica and Chile's Atacama Desert shows that microbes can eke out a living in extremely cold and dry environments, several researchers stressed at "The Present-Day Habitability of Mars" conference held here at the University of California Los Angeles this month.

And not all parts of the Red Planet's surface may be arid currently — at least not all the time. Evidence is building that liquid water might flow seasonally at some Martian sites, potentially providing a haven for life as we know it.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 4

I would Love to know whats underground on Mars ? Its is quite possible that there in lies a whole thriving eco system. But Until we actually go up there and go under- ground we are just guessing !

• Like 3

Considering that we find microbes miles deep in the rock of the Earth, it would not surprise me that if microbes did live on Mars, that they would still be some there.

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/613-microbes-discovered-in-earths-crust.html

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/3892-deep-dwelling-microbe-found.html

Studies found that it relies only on hydrogen and sulfide for food, derived from the breakdown of uranium and other radioactive elements. It has somehow evolved to do without the sun or oxygen.

Edited by DieChecker

This article is nothing i haven't read before. They need to stop suggesting and start doing. Sending a Man to Mars would be a Good start. And i volunteer for that.

• Like 1

Sending a Man to Mars would be a Good start. And i volunteer for that.

form an orderly queue behind me....

:-)

• Like 2

This strenghten the case for a man expedition to Mars. America NASA get going on this important mission as soon a possible.

Any expedition should be a joint venture of many nations and not just the USA footing the bill! We have enough problems here with finding enough money to keep the government running without spending more on space exploration.

• Like 1

Any expedition should be a joint venture of many nations and not just the USA footing the bill!

this is true.

if star trek taught us anything, it's that we're all in this together!

Right. I'm packing for the expedition too. Water wings, surfboard...

• Like 1

The sad thing is That NASA would jump on it this moment this second,But for the Money and the O.K !

I would be for this as long as we really commited to it all the Way ! :tu:

We can do it,We could actually find life then !

I wonder what kind of different poisons and/or micorob life that is under there that is inhospitable towards humans. I'm sure we can filter it. I'm just very curious.

Edited by wallarookiller

I wonder what kind of different poisons and/or micorob life that is under there that is inhospitable towards humans. I'm sure we can filter it. I'm just very curious.

not too different from ours