Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Petition to make devocalization illegal

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#31    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,776 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostCryptid-Seeker, on 27 October 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

I'd rather see the same done to them as what they did to the animals.

well you wont, get over it, not that i would not like to see it too. but in reality, punishments don't fit the crimes, even against humans, unfortunatly.

Edited by aztek, 27 October 2012 - 04:42 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#32    Cryptid-Seeker

Cryptid-Seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

View Postaztek, on 27 October 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

really??  grow up kid. don't threaten ppl with physical harm on the internet?

i can't understand how humans can be so ignorant, and inconsidarete of their human neigbours, actually i can, i see tham here plenty.

I didn't threaten you. I was merely saying that you think devocalization wouldn't hurt dogs and that I am sure that if someone devocalized you, you would think it hurt. Dogs are just as important as people. In fact they are more loyal and more caring.

Posted Image

#33    Cryptid-Seeker

Cryptid-Seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Postaztek, on 27 October 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

well you wont, get over it, not that i would not like to see it too. but in reality, punishments don't fit the crimes, even against humans, unfortunatly.

You know, I actually agree with you.

Posted Image

#34    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

I belong to about three groups that are fighting this.
I do a lot of animal rights ,and rescue work .
There's so much going on in this country ,I cannot even begin to post it all.
If anyone is interested ,I will give small synopsis of some of the issues .
There are dog ,cat,rabbit ,and hybrid issues . Every state is different .
We just started work on a case where a woman tortured a dog for weeks,until she slit its throat .
We want felony charges . Seriously . I sometimes cry for hours,just to get it all out of my system .
I wish cat declawing was illegal as well .

Miss me?

#35    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

While Aztek's words may sound vicious and angry, I agree with him.

He doesn't seem to be talking about dogs who bark occasionally, but dogs that bark incessantly. That means all the time.

People don't seem to have much empathy for other people here. It's very sad, in my opinion, that people can't put themselves in the shoes of a neighbor who is forced to listen to a dog barking constantly.

What are the options if a dog barks ALL the time? The people train their dog ideally. What if they can't? Two options, they get rid of the dog -- which means it usually gets put in a shelter where it probably won't be adopted, especially if it keeps barking, or they put it down. Or they get surgery.

It's a matter of a lesser of a few evils I think.

I don't think this surgery should be performed. I don't think it's kind to the dog at all. But... if it was between a dog's vocal chords and their life... the choice is obvious.

Embrace the impossible.

#36    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

What we need is a technological solution. A collar that converts the audio into something quiet like a whisper. Just think of the possibilities, you could even put them on kids at movie theaters, or while on road trips, etc. That would sell millions!

I'm actually surprised no one has invented something like that yet.

Edited by WoIverine, 27 October 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#37    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

It's a dog. It's not as if it's being tortured. As far as i can tell, the vet cuts its vocal chords. Most americans ask the doctor do worse to their infant boys at birth.

I am against animal cruelty (for some reason you have to say this, when it should be obvious) but what is more cruel? A shock collar worn constantly (which hurts the animal every time it displays its natural instinct to bark) or a once off operation? Or you could put it down or pay the constant fines while annoying everyone in the neighbourhood.

Human rights do not apply to animals. I think dog lovers should concentrate on the real abuses, like dog fighting or south east asian cultures that skin dogs alive, because the addreniline makes it taste better.

#38    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,841 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

ARF!    ARF!     ARF!      ARF!     ARF!      ARF!     ARF!       ARF!       ARF!       ARF!        ARF!       ARF!       ARF!       ARF!        ARF!        ARF!       ARF!        ARF!         ARF!        ARF!

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#39    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

View Postaztek, on 26 October 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

guess you got your common sense gland removed, it is eiher that or getting rid of the dog or put it down, what would you choose? life aint fare and the world is cruel, get used to it. and have them implant your common sense back, it'll help you down the road.

also since when outlawing something stopped ppl from doing it anyway?

Did someone remove your education?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#40    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostMyles, on 26 October 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

What would you do with a dog that will not stop barking? I've never done this, but I don't have a problem with it.
My cat has her claws, but if she was clawing up all my furniture, I could see myself having her declawed.   Well maybe not.   She'd just become a full time outdoor cat.

Cat's scratch to wear and sharpen their claws, with a scrathching post and trimming the prooblem is solved (Cat claws can be 'trimmed' like dogs claws and human fingernails).
If you really couldn't stop a dog from barking then you'd have to rehome it. Plenty of options before mutilation.
Like finding out why the dog 'won't stop barking'?
The easy option is to not bother to understand why the animal acts in a certain way but simply multilate it to 'fix' the behavior.
That's not responsibility.

#41    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 27 October 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

I belong to about three groups that are fighting this.
I do a lot of animal rights ,and rescue work .
There's so much going on in this country ,I cannot even begin to post it all.
If anyone is interested ,I will give small synopsis of some of the issues .
There are dog ,cat,rabbit ,and hybrid issues . Every state is different .
We just started work on a case where a woman tortured a dog for weeks,until she slit its throat .
We want felony charges . Seriously . I sometimes cry for hours,just to get it all out of my system .
I wish cat declawing was illegal as well .

Keep fighting the good fight Simbi.
Proud as hell of you.

#42    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

I agree with aztec, owners are responsible for their animals behaviour.I live  in the country and have many pets
at the moment I have a rooster thats gunna be roast chicken because it cockle doodle doos all day long.
Dogs barking, loud music, earth moving equipment and  such that you can hear from inside your house sucks .

#43    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostAtlantia, on 28 October 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

Cat's scratch to wear and sharpen their claws, with a scrathching post and trimming the prooblem is solved (Cat claws can be 'trimmed' like dogs claws and human fingernails).
If you really couldn't stop a dog from barking then you'd have to rehome it. Plenty of options before mutilation.
Like finding out why the dog 'won't stop barking'?
The easy option is to not bother to understand why the animal acts in a certain way but simply multilate it to 'fix' the behavior.
That's not responsibility.

Agree with this 100%, people act like they care about their pets but don't spend anytime educating themselves on their the animal or trying to understand the problem.

I have 2 cats and I have read endless amounts of articles etc to try and understand as much as I can. I've also looked at different sides like scientific and "new age" as I sometimes find scientific stuff cna often overlook animal emotions.

View PostAtlantia, on 28 October 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

Keep fighting the good fight Simbi.
Proud as hell of you.

Same here, her posts always stand out as well. Brilliant human. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#44    Amy the Mighty

Amy the Mighty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

What ever happened to people training and disciplining their animals? You shouldn't have to de-vocalise, or de-claw. I've met people who treat their dogs like over-indulged children, and let their dogs jump on people and knock them over, or mouth their hands. I think some people get dogs with no forward planning about how much work is required to own one. I am waiting for the day that I meet a husky owner that isn't some wispy little bogan who needs a big dog to bolster their fragile self-esteem. It makes me angry to see people being dragged along by big dogs that they haven't trained properly to walk on a lead.

If your dog ends up at the Lost Dogs Home, and it's not sufficiently trained enough to be a safe house pet, it gets euthanised. People must remember that there is always a possibility that they won't be able to care for a pet forever. People die, pets go missing. If you really love your pet, give it the training to enable it to be rehomed.

#45    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,515 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostJGirl, on 26 October 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

i signed it gladly! omg i used to joke about an operation to shut my cat up, never realizing this sort of thing actually is done. i feel terrible for even making a joke about it now. i will not, however, apologize to my cat. he can't read so he will be none the wiser.

Hey J ! I guess that we both live under a rock. I never heard about devocalization either. Then again, I live in a remote village, so a dog's bark is the first line of defence. It's their way of saying "HEY, THERE'S A COUGAR IN THE YARD!"

That's probably why we domesticated them first, I guess, and now we're cutting their vocal chords?... *shakes head*

Hey everybody, I just realized that I'm a caveman!

/I'd sign the petition, but I'm not a citizen. :)

Edited by Likely Guy, 29 October 2012 - 02:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users