Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM Awards

behaviour???

I think It would be good to restart the UM awards clearing away the Negative aspects of the awards....

Thanks

B???

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• behaviour???

• Saru

• schizoidwoman

• sarah snow

We haven't held community awards for many years now, mainly due to them becoming a popularity contest as oppose to rewarding members who had made outstanding contributions.

It was a nice idea at the time, but i'm not convinced bringing it back now would work to be honest.

We haven't held community awards for many years now, mainly due to them becoming a popularity contest as oppose to rewarding members who had made outstanding contributions.

It was a nice idea at the time, but i'm not convinced bringing it back now would work to be honest.

Ofcourse the Moderators can function in order to oppose these people who are working against this

And regarding the votes well let the moderatiopn and admins have a say....

Thanks

B???

The moderator's can't influence how people vote, its not something we can fix in that sense.

The only way anything like this could work realistically I think is if the awards were granted without the subjectivity of a public vote, perhaps something more akin to Xbox 360 achievements.

It will be pointless anyway, because we all know I will win every award and that would be unfair to others.........(tumbleweed blows past)

Hello......HELLO!!

Where did everyone go? :o

:P

I think awards would be best if they were achieved by meeting specific goals.

Edited by chaoszerg

I think awards would be best if they were achieved by meeting specific goals.

Such as "Best user to achieve the goal of having Chaoszerg as a username"?

Agh, you win again! :lol:;)

The moderator's can't influence how people vote, its not something we can fix in that sense.

The only way anything like this could work realistically I think is if the awards were granted without the subjectivity of a public vote, perhaps something more akin to Xbox 360 achievements.

Well we can allow the forum moderation team to vote...Note the other but the members can just Review it

Thanks

B???

Well we can allow the forum moderation team to vote...Note the other but the members can just Review it

Thanks

B???

We could put it to a debate. But it would be messy.

Will this be a classy affair?

Either I show up in a tux or in nothing at all.

We could put it to a debate. But it would be messy.

Thankyou for the offer...I accept it

B???

That's very true, Saru. On another Forum where I've been a member for 6 years we used to have Forum Gatherings and Awards and at first it was fun for a couple of years. But as with most things, it's open to abuse and cliquiness, and this soured the process and for the last 3 years they've quietly fallen by the wayside, and to be honest I'd have no wish to resurrect them as it caused a whole lot of issues as people took them way, way, wayyyy too seriously and it got ugly and unfair as a result :no:

That's very true, Saru. On another Forum where I've been a member for 6 years we used to have Forum Gatherings and Awards and at first it was fun for a couple of years. But as with most things, it's open to abuse and cliquiness, and this soured the process and for the last 3 years they've quietly fallen by the wayside, and to be honest I'd have no wish to resurrect them as it caused a whole lot of issues as people took them way, way, wayyyy too seriously and it got ugly and unfair as a result :no:

We've just been chatting about this very issue at work because someone on our tech team moderates a forum that is currently hosting its own awards for the first time and it has created absolute havoc, he reports. Just as Sarah says, people seem to start taking the awards very, very seriously!

Edited by schizoidwoman

Well there's no shortage of reasons not to bring the awards back i'd say. :lol:

I vote Chemical_Licker, for what I'm not sure, but thats my vote...... :mellow:

I vote Chemical_Licker, for what I'm not sure, but thats my vote...... :mellow:

That's very generous! :D

Ofcourse I belive there are reason to close the thing BUt I dont undersatnd why cant we start it.....The Moderation team can vote upon the reveiw of the members ...Sure the moderation team is wise for doing that

And Honestly I dont understand what problems will the launchings of Awards cause

Thanks

B???

I don't think it would be fair on those who don't get an acknowledgement and I wouldn't want to have to pick specific members any more than i'd want it to be up to a public vote.

I'm not discounting the possibility of holding forum events, only that holding an awards event in the way they have been done in the past would not be beneficial to the community and as such would not be a good idea.

Yeah, there is definitely too many posters here to have an awards make sense. What we do need is the chess tournament back!

~~~ ... What we do need is the chess tournament back!
Sounds good to me. :tu:

There has not been one for a long time.

Karlis

Ofcourse I belive there are reason to close the thing BUt I dont undersatnd why cant we start it.....The Moderation team can vote upon the reveiw of the members ...Sure the moderation team is wise for doing that

And Honestly I dont understand what problems will the launchings of Awards cause

Thanks

B???

But then in fairness, it's not you who will have to deal with the extra workload and any hassle it causes behind the scenes. It's the Mod/Admin Team, so ultimately it's their decision. It will create extra workload (and they are volunteers after all) and that has to be considered when something like that is being organised on a site with as much traffic as this one, it's not a straightforward task although it may seem that way to those of us who just see the 'shop front' :mellow:

Edited by sarah snow

But then in fairness, it's not you who will have to deal with the extra workload and any hassle it causes behind the scenes. It's the Mod/Admin Team, so ultimately it's their decision. It will create extra workload (and they are volunteers after all) and that has to be considered when something like that is being organised on a site with as much traffic as this one, it's not a straightforward task although it may seem that way to those of us who just see the 'shop front' :mellow:

Well I undersatnd that Sarah but do you think that the moderators do not have the aythority to silence them....The impose on people certain rules since they are independent and authorised..And I am sure that the mods and admins will alltogether take a good chance...The Extrawork?I dont undersatnd what they are?

Thanks

B???

Well I undersatnd that Sarah but do you think that the moderators do not have the aythority to silence them....The impose on people certain rules since they are independent and authorised..And I am sure that the mods and admins will alltogether take a good chance...The Extrawork?I dont undersatnd what they are?

Thanks

B???

The extra work Sarah mentions would be things like dealing with queries about the awards, making sure things were fair and democratic and, ultimately, voting on who would win (as per your previous post) and then there would be the inevitable autopsy of "why did so and so win" etc etc. As Sarah said from her other site, it's a ton of extra work that the members don't see!

Thankyou schzoidwoman but that could be easily answered

dealing with queries about the awards

Queries of the awrads shouldnt be answered untill the results are published

making sure things were fair and democratic

Ofcourse making it fair would be under the members review

voting on who would win (as per your previous post)

Mods and admins could vote on who would win

the inevitable autopsy of "why did so and so win

There is no need to answer such questions since this is private site and doesnt need answering any question

Thanks

B???

I wasn't listing those as questions but as examples of the extra work the mods and admin would be required to undertake. If mods and admin are to make the decisions on who would win, then this would be substantial extra work for them.

But it could very well cause so much division and turmoil, as them more introverted would be feeling let out or hurt, and people make popularity contests out of it, like that star voting system upon the Members Gallery, thank God that that star voting got removed because I felt bad for not being able to give everyone the same level based upon their presented photos. And a UM awards, it may very well discourage the more introverted from even applying themselves as creative, or participating and that’s is not cool because everyone should feel welcomed, I respond to my own poem when people comment upon them but it is kind of an Odd filling, because there are many Poets and writers that are very worthy in where creations that don’t even get comments so I think a UM Award is a bad idea based upon the negative aspects alone, I don’t it is cool at all.

Pavot