Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Are we the earliest intelligent species ?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#46    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

What, in the whole universe? No way.

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#47    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,570 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Does an egocentric mind even entertain the idea of intelligence other than theirself?

#48    Beastly Decimal

Beastly Decimal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

There is a supreme arrogance in believing you are the only, or first, intelligent being in the WHOLEEEEE universe. Kind've like the arrogance of believing you were created by accident. But that's another topic..

#49    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,411 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostBeastly Decimal, on 11 October 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

There is a supreme arrogance in believing you are the only, or first, intelligent being in the WHOLEEEEE universe. Kind've like the arrogance of believing you were created by accident. But that's another topic..

Wouldn't the arrogance be associated with being created by a 'creator' rather than life forming by accident?

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#50    mxcx

mxcx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

This is a really stupid question.

#51    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

i agree with you mxcx :D ..

#52    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I find it amusing how people point out how young we are but for some reason have 100% faith in our accuracy of the age of the universe.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#53    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,802 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostKazoo, on 11 October 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

I find it amusing how people point out how young we are but for some reason have 100% faith in our accuracy of the age of the universe.
I wouldn't say 100% faith at all, it is just a given estimate. Chances are, it is probably going to be older.

#54    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,501 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostRyegrog, on 11 October 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

We have destroyed more then we have fixed.

I do not believe that for a second. Please show something to back that statement.

We are responsible for the survival of many species. I thought I was a cynical so and so. You are staring to make me look like Mary Poppins.

View PostNinhursag, on 11 October 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

What, in the whole universe? No way.

Why?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#55    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,501 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

View Postpallidin, on 11 October 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

Does an egocentric mind even entertain the idea of intelligence other than theirself?

What has ego got to do with it?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#56    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,501 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostKazoo, on 11 October 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

Do you understand how we have come to the commonly accepted conclusion?

#57    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 11 October 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

I do not believe that for a second. Please show something to back that statement.

We are responsible for the survival of many species. I thought I was a cynical so and so. You are staring to make me look like Mary Poppins.

Why?

Yes I agree there are measures taken to right the wrong but we still keep destroying as we repair.
In my opinion, Species like the elephant, whale and dolphin are more intelligent because they live
in harmony with nature where we exploit it.

http://en.wikipedia....azon_Rainforest

Edited by Ryegrog, 12 October 2012 - 01:15 AM.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve.
But to much skepticism can make you narrow minded to extraordinary possibilities.

#58    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,501 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

View PostRyegrog, on 12 October 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

Yes I agree there are measures taken to right the wrong but we still keep destroying as we repair.
In my opinion, Species like the elephant, whale and dolphin are more intelligent because they live
in harmony with nature where we exploit it.

http://en.wikipedia....azon_Rainforest

From your link:

The rate of deforestation is now slowing, and in 2011 deforestation figures were the slowest on record, although the forest is still shrinking.[4][24]

Norwegian prime minister Jens Stoltenberg announced on September 16, 2008, that the Norwegian Government would donate US $1 billion to the newly established Amazon fund. The money from this fund will go to projects aimed at slowing down the deforestation of the Amazon rainforest

Dolphins? They are evil! Crikey! They are wild animals that we have some sort of strange passion for. They murder, they practise infanticide, and they rape. Even people have been raped by Dolphins, there is a rumour the the actress Demi Moore had an unpleasent encounter with a Dolphin! But I am not blaming the Dolphin in that case!! :w00t:

And the Elephant? That lovable gentle giant? LOL!!

They murder us, each other, the raid crops, and can be very bad tempered. I take it you have never seen a doco with an Elephant. Some have gathered groups with what appears to be the intention of killing villages of humans. Keep an eye out for a Doco called The Dark Side Of Elephants.

Both are beautiful creatures, but they are not benevolent.

Posted Image

Why do you hate humanity?

#59    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,802 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:50 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 11 October 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

We have definitely destroyed more than we've fixed. We have taken huge amounts of forests down out of their natural cycle. Overfishing is a problem because we are fishing more than the fish can reproduce (coupled with other species getting tangled in the nets we don't eat). Poor management of waste in some countries have had a huge affect on the wildlife.

Not to mention pollution, the air quality over some cities is detrimental. Those species we "brought from the brink of extinction" were mostly in that situation because of us, from hunting to introduction of domesticated pets and pests. I could go on and on but we are trying to fix the problems we've caused, unfortunately not enough.

Some companies are thinking in the long term and recognise this problem and try to conserve what they use and make it more sustainable, others just want quick money and will have the world pay for their greed later on.

We rely on nature to live, you put it against its own order of things and it will throw it off balance.

#60    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,802 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 12 October 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

And the Elephant? That lovable gentle giant? LOL!!

They murder us, each other, the raid crops, and can be very bad tempered. I take it you have never seen a doco with an Elephant. Some have gathered groups with what appears to be the intention of killing villages of humans. Keep an eye out for a Doco called The Dark Side Of Elephants.

Both are beautiful creatures, but they are not benevolent.

Posted Image

Why do you hate humanity?

That picture is from a festival where the elephants are being used as ceremonial beasts. They are smart creatures. Sometimes when you've been used for too long you snap. Just like the elephant.

I am also quite sure that an intelligent creature would recognise when their own home ground starts to shrink. And in retaliation, attack those who are responsible for that, humans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users