Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hundreds of killer whales seen

Cetacea

Hundreds of killer whales seen in Gulf of Mexico

It was a fish story that even veteran boat captains found fascinating: As many as 200 killer whales feeding on tuna in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

"It was like being at Sea World because they'd come right up to the boat," said Eddie Hall, captain of the Shady Lady, the 60-foot charter boat that spotted the shiny black sea beasts with white eye patches and undersides. "It was pretty neat."

It was also hard for some skeptics to believe: Orcas, as killer whales are also known, typically are thought to live in cold water and eat seals.

But Hall's description of what he saw last Oct. 31 was no tall tale: A government biologist who saw video taken from Hall's boat confirmed the captain had spotted the creatures. And last week that same scientist, Keith Mullin, explained at a public meeting in Orange Beach, Ala., that yes, contrary to common perceptions, killer whales really do live in the Gulf, far from land.

Mullin, whose outfit has been working for years to get an accurate count of the Gulf's whale population, said it may be time to dramatically increase estimates on how many killer whales are lurking in the deep waters off the Gulf Coast. He's taking part in a research expedition this summer that could determine if his hunch is right.

Scientists believe the whales have been in the Gulf for years, Mullin said, and that their presence - though startling to some anglers - isn't a sign of climate change or other manmade condition. Their relatively small population and the speed at which pods move make them difficult to count, which could have led to lower estimates.

More here

Although slightly innacurate in that orcas have been sighted in warm waters and there are well studied populations that do not feed of seals such as the BC resident population which are fish eaters, still thought it was interesting article.

Wish I'd been there, never seen an orca so far :(

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cetacea

• theGhost_and_theDarkness

• Enigmatic Ghost

• Samuronin

I wish I could've seen that, I bet it was stunning.

I had no idea they even lived anywhere near there. Apparently this isn't new, but it's news to me. That is pretty awesome. :)

I wish I have seen it , I really love whales ..

I wish I have seen it , I really love whales ..

(their dolphins mate).

(their dolphins mate).

on the ball i see matt, i thought they were whales. which plonker called them "killer Whales" then.

on the ball i see matt, i thought they were whales. which plonker called them "killer Whales" then.

Killer whale is believed to be a bastardisation of the original name 'whale killers', given to them because they, well, kill whales. Also I am not sure how advanced taxonomy was when they were originally named.

I love dolphins too!!!

They are also known as the "Sea wolf" We get a few Pods that come down off the central Oregon Coast, but for the most part we get the Gray Whale migrating the Oregon Coast twice a year and some resident whales. I bet those Sea wolfs Chased some of those Huge Tuna Fish Right up and out of the sea, the Orcas are Bad ***.

Pavot

Hehehe, Orange Beach. That's right where I live. . .

I'm very pleased to be living here. . .and am actually wondering how it will turn out. I'm with a local dolphin research and rescue center currently. . .I wonder if they will lend a hand in the expedition. . . There are a few different groups down here, and I'm not sure right now who's going to be involved. It'd be really exciting if I could weasel my way in to be a part of it. :innocent:

Edit: I forgot to add. . .During certain times of the year tourists (of which plague these coastal towns to no end. . *cough*) can actually go on boat rides to see the whales and dolphins. I'm wonder how many problems this will cause for the researchers. . .I know it causes problems for my group.

Edited by theGhost_and_theDarkness

I'm very pleased to be living here. . .and am actually wondering how it will turn out. I'm with a local dolphin research and rescue center currently. . .I wonder if they will lend a hand in the expedition. . . There are a few different groups down here, and I'm not sure right now who's going to be involved. It'd be really exciting if I could weasel my way in to be a part of it. :innocent:

Edit: I forgot to add. . .During certain times of the year tourists (of which plague these coastal towns to no end. . *cough*) can actually go on boat rides to see the whales and dolphins. I'm wonder how many problems this will cause for the researchers. . .I know it causes problems for my group.

Lucky you! I am very jealous!

I know what you mean about tourists, while I myself enjoy a good whale watching trip, unregulated operators can really have terrible effects, mainly on the cetaceans but also on the people trying to carry out research. I interned with a dolphin project a while back and we had endless problems with boats tailing the dolphins with as little as a metre to spare, but those weren't the worst, don't get me started on the people that sped towards them full throttle to try to get them to bow ride :angry: Not to speak of those who tried to pet them or feed them or those that wanted to swim with them! Seriously, you see a pod of dolphins wildly reeling around a shoal of bait fish and your response is to jump in with them???! Where did common sense go...

That's exactly what I'm talking about!! Down here there's a re-occurring type of tourist that comes down every year at the same time. . .enough so that they probably keep a boat at one of the marina's and they know the waters better than the locals. Its very frustrating because they just barrel on in with no great concern for the animals themselves. It makes it worse because there's just SO many of those people down here. Littering is becoming more and more of a problem as well. People dumping bags of Cheetos out for the dolphins (*facepalm*) And then dumping the bag out right after. Unregulated operators are actually extremely out of control in these parts. As tourism increases, I can only assume the problem will increase with it.

Don't be too jealous. I highly doubt I'll be able to get in on it. I'm not part of any of the regular teams and I'm only "used" sparingly. :lol: Marine animals aren't my specialty at all. I've only just started getting involved with it after a chance encounter with the head researcher at a deli...she's really been great about my non-existent qualifications. I still haven't even gotten my diver's certification. I think I'm the only one without it, actually.

I guess I can dream though. hehe.

Here in Oregon upon the Coast with the twice annual Gray Whale Migration there are small boats that take tourist out to see the Whales in hopes they the Gray Whales will Rise up and out and watch their huge flukes depart back into the sea, there is a legal boundary for which the Captains of these water crafts must obey, they cannot get within a close range but it is not in my opinion set far enough away in respect for the Whales and their Young, it is passive harassment, and it is not necessary as it stresses the Whales and their new Calves.

We set up with scopes and drive the scenic coastline stopping at the many State provided car turn outs and use our Binoculars as well to watch the wee Gray Whales rise up and Spy Hop, it is very far away from them and is just fine, we enjoy or Coastal trips. We have a whale here that is of another Species, he is a Resident Whale, and lives within a Cove of the Sea, I will not mention the Cove as he should also be left alone to dive and roll the waters of his home.

Because of the Global warming causing warmer water currents, the Whales are moving into newer territorial waters, and one species of huge whales are Moving into the L.A. Shipping Lanes and when I first heard of this I was greatly concerned because we have seen the damages done to the Manatees in the Florida Water Ways with Great damages in injuries to their Fins and Flukes? Tails? Where Boat Propellers have Taken huge gouges of their flesh, and these huge Whales now making Home within the L.S. Shipping lanes are in danger of being slit open by the Huge Bow of the Freighters, and Oil Takers and the Propellers of Ships and Boats.

I have not heard any more upon them and I do hope that it is not a case of events getting lost in all the other events in the news although if it comes down to it, the Whales will lose out to Man, the Ships and Oil Tankers will still have rule the Waterways.

Pavot

Edited by Pavot

People dumping bags of Cheetos out for the dolphins (*facepalm*) And then dumping the bag out right after.

Oh yeah, I know those people :rolleyes: There was one specific bottlenose dolphin in Florida called Beggar, he had made a habit of actually ( as the name suggests) begging from boats, people would feed him absolutely anything, I am surprised he has made it to this age... People can be completely unreasonable, there are signs literally everywhere saying do not feed the dolphins, do not touch the the dolphins (as he has a very limited range they hung up a lot of signs around the part of the channel he utilises mainly). Yet anytime I went through there there was someone trying to pet/feed him and he is known for biting people, yet there were parents encouraging their 3 year old to stick her hand in the water to attract him! Never mind the man who lost a finger and his wedding ring to him and then phoned up the place I worked and told them they should get it back for him because they were clearly responsible for him! When asked what he expected them to do he actually suggested they should shoot him and cut him open to get the ring back :wacko:

I used to live on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, we had A and K Pod that would come into our little bay occasionally. They were always so cool to watch. I've also had a close encounter with one while I was in a 16ft sailboat on Hood Canal... it surfaced a few feet from my boat. Scared the crud out of me. I was afraid it would try to come up UNDER my boat! LOL.

We also get the gray whales up here and the ferry boat captains were always great about pointing them out to passengers when they spotted them. We also have sperm whales I think it is(?).

I went on a gray whale watch out of Depot Bay Oregon (not my idea, someone else dragged me on it) and I was shocked by how close the whales were coming to the boat, literally within feet. They actually seemed to perform for us... they'd swim in close, then take off quite fast and breach further out. Then swim in again, wave their tails around and repeat. It was pretty crazy. That was about 20 years ago though.

I used to live on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound, we had A and K Pod that would come into our little bay occasionally. They were always so cool to watch. I've also had a close encounter with one while I was in a 16ft sailboat on Hood Canal... it surfaced a few feet from my boat. Scared the crud out of me. I was afraid it would try to come up UNDER my boat! LOL.

Oooh Puget Sound, since I read Alexandra Morton's Listening to Whales I've always wanted to go, I believe it's one of the few places you are more or less guaranteed to see orcas if you stay for a few days. I 'adopted' one of the transients up there through the WDCS, adult male named Arrow.

I can imagine that is a scary experience though, I know we heard a fair few about bottlenose dolphins nearly knocking over canoes when I was in Sarasota but Orcas are another size category altogether!