Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Coelacanth

Frau Cerra

I have read of several captures of the coelacanth fish, and have seen a reoccuring similarity. They have been captured in December, and surrounding months. I was wondering if anyone knew of their reproductive cycles, or any other reason why these fish may be being caught around this time. Maybe they are swimming in shallower waters near these months? O.o If anyone has any info, please post (: I am very open minded, but try to stick to the topic please, don't come cursing and screaming at me. Lol (: Thank you.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Jack_of_Blades

• schizoidwoman

• Frau Cerra

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if anyone knew of their reproductive cycles

Very little is really know about Coelacanth's (they are my favorite animal btw :) ), but I do remember hearing

that they give birth to live young. I'll see if I can't dig some more up for you.

*Edit* here's some more on reproduction, not much, but I hope it helps:

The reproduction of Latimeria is of a type called ovoviviparous, which means that it has internal fertilization, and the foetuses are kept are kept inside the mother until they are large enough to look after themselves. Only one ovary matures (usually the right) and 19-26 enormous eggs about 9cm in diameter and 320g in weight develop inside it. The huge yolk of each egg supplied the nutrients necessary for the foetus to grow. The 26 pups found inside the female Mozambique coelacanth indicate that the fish may breed faster and produce more young than was previously thought. This female had been carrying around an extra 12 kg weight
Edited by Jack_of_Blades

I found a little bit of detail here, but it's very brief.

Weather gets quite wild during Monsoon times, maybe there is a tie in that way?

A very strange question I must admitt

Many scientists belive that these have a major role in the evolution...

Female coelacanths give birth to live young, called "pups", in groups of between 5 and 25 fry at a time; the pups are capable of surviving on their own immediately after birth. Their reproductive behaviors are not well known, but it is believed that they are not sexually mature until after 20 years of age. Gestation time is 13 -15 months.

That was from Wiki

Please click Here

Thakns

B???

Edited by behaviour???