Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Massive melting of Andes glaciers

andes glaciers andean melting

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 38,331 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Glaciers in the tropical Andes have shrunk by an average of 30-50% since the 1970s, according to a study.

The glaciers, which provide fresh water for tens of millions in South America, are retreating at their fastest rate in the past 300 years.

The study included data on about half of all Andean glaciers and blamed the melting on an average temperature rise of 0.7C from 1950-1994.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21163386

Posted Image

#2    wolfknight

wolfknight

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA Kentucky

  • There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Wow wonder how many decades they have left. I wonder it this is the flawing before another ice age


#3    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,446 posts
  • Joined:23 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:27North 80West

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yes, more signs of global warming, climate change, whatever.

The political question is "did man contribute or cause the effect?"  I certainly don't know, but suspect he made some contribution.

Those who deny it's happening are usually in the habit of denying other obvious facts.


#4    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Joined:15 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central Texas

  • The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

FOX News told me to "Move along. There's nothing to see here."

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#5    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 23 January 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Glaciers in the tropical Andes have shrunk by an average of 30-50% since the 1970s, according to a study.

The glaciers, which provide fresh water for tens of millions in South America, are retreating at their fastest rate in the past 300 years.

The study included data on about half of all Andean glaciers and blamed the melting on an average temperature rise of 0.7C from 1950-1994.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21163386

I don't believe anything the BBC tells me about the climate.

The global warming-obsessed Met Office reported on Christmas Eve (when it knew there would be no newspapers to report it) that global warming stopped in 1997.  Yet you wouldn't have thought so with the way the left-wing press like the BBC, The Grauniad and The Independent are still banging on about "record global temperatures" and bushfires in Australia, a naturally hot country which has had bushfires for millennia.

These so-called retreating glaciers in the Andes - if, indeed, they are really retreating - cannot be caused by global warming due to the simple fact that global warming, if it ever happened at all, stopped in 1997.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 29 January 2013 - 03:34 PM.


#6    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 23 January 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

I wonder it this is the flawing before another ice age

The world is actually very much due an ice age.


#7    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,445 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 29 January 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

I don't believe anything the BBC tells me about the climate.

The global warming-obsessed Met Office reported on Christmas Eve (when it knew there would be no newspapers to report it) that global warming stopped in 1997.  Yet you wouldn't have thought so with the way the left-wing press like the BBC, The Grauniad and The Independent are still banging on about "record global temperatures" and bushfires in Australia, a naturally hot country which has had bushfires for millennia.

These so-called retreating glaciers in the Andes - if, indeed, they are really retreating - cannot be caused by global warming due to the simple fact that global warming, if it ever happened at all, stopped in 1997.
They did no such thing. They never claimed that the global warming had stopped - you are repeating the misrepresentation of what the Mail and Telegraph misquoted them as saying. The trend is still clearly upwards. Go read the actual original statement on the Met Office website and you will clearly see that you are wrong.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#8    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,445 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 29 January 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

The world is actually very much due an ice age.
This is grossly wrong - the milankovich cycles, which govern the ice age cycle, predict an ice age in about 20 thousand years. You are simply repeating more misinformation from paid shills and have clearly never actually read any real climate science.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson





Also tagged with andes, glaciers, andean, melting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users