Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

What do you think of the Mokele Mbembe?

dinosaurs mokele mbembe cryptozoology cryptid congo

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

There is simply no chance for it to be a sauropod. They were particularly ill-suited for both semi-aquatic and forest life, with their long, inflexible necks and tails, massive weight and foot anatomy. Also, there is no evidence that any non-avian dinosaur populations survived the K-T event and the ecological niches where sauropods would fit into are already filled by the African forest elephant and the okapi, among others.

I would also discount the rhino hypothesis. We know of no forest-dwelling rhinos from Africa and due to the immense price one can get for rhino horns these days, I'm pretty sure poachers would have jumped onto what must be the healthiest rhino population of the continent.

I think the mokele mbembe craze is due to overzealous Westerners misunderstanding what the locals said, confusing mythical and real animals and relying on less than useful methods, like the good old "let's show them pictures of sauropods and see what happens" (for one, we now know that no sauropod looked even superficially like what they thought to look like in the 1930s).

Also the local tribes might just be messing with the researchers. The Maasai, for example, are known to habitually make up nonsense when talking to Western anthropologists, for teh lulz.

#17    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 29 November 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

No, it is not. They evolved at the same time, and Crocodilians outlived Dinosaurs.

They are both Archosaurs, and both come from a common ancestor, in the clade of Archosauria, represented today by birds and crocodiles. This is again broken down to two main clades, Pseudosuchia, which includes crocodilians and their extinct relatives, and Avemetatarsalia, which includes birds and their extinct relatives (such as non-avian dinosaurs and pterosaurs).

LINKS:

Archosauria

Pseudosuchia

Avemetatarsalia

Did Crocodiles Descend From Dinosaurs?
Thanks for the info Psyche much appriciated :tu:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#18    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostClobhair-cean, on 29 November 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Also the local tribes might just be messing with the researchers. The Maasai, for example, are known to habitually make up nonsense when talking to Western anthropologists, for teh lulz.

Anthropologists have noted that native informants do become uninterested and unwilling to answer questions, definitely more so when the questioning becomes  intimate and embarrassing, such as in regards to; family quarrels, sexual relationships, or birth control including abortions, which would not be surprising with any person.  To suggest from this, that a majority of those natives simply lie for the fun of it seems a bit of an overstatement.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#19    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostInsanity, on 29 November 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Anthropologists have noted that native informants do become uninterested and unwilling to answer questions, definitely more so when the questioning becomes  intimate and embarrassing, such as in regards to; family quarrels, sexual relationships, or birth control including abortions, which would not be surprising with any person.  To suggest from this, that a majority of those natives simply lie for the fun of it seems a bit of an overstatement.

I'm not saying that a majority does it, but it does happen more often than you'd think, there are many documented examples. Why wouldn't they have some light-hearted fun? I know I would start messing around when the fifteenth anthropologist arrives.

#20    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,016 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostClobhair-cean, on 30 November 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

I'm not saying that a majority does it, but it does happen more often than you'd think, there are many documented examples. Why wouldn't they have some light-hearted fun? I know I would start messing around when the fifteenth anthropologist arrives.

Furthermore, look what happens when any outsider temporarily joins an insider-group (sport team, work crew, family, circle of friends, etc) - they get screwed with. It's playful rather than malicious and can go on to create and maintain some recurring themes and amazing legends. It's human nature...

Now, does anyone know where I can find a good left-handed screwdriver?

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#21    HMS Dreadnought

HMS Dreadnought

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Surely it's some sort of African hyrax pretending to be a were-dinosaur?

Dear you guys. Words cannot express how much I hate you guys. As we fight our way northward into the great unknown, only that one thing remains certain: that I hate you guys with every tired muscle in my confederate body. We have taken Topeka and I must rally the men onward to Missouri. Because I will not stop until we have won it all, and you guys are my slaves. Because I hate you guys. I hate you guys so very very much. Yours, General Cartman Lee.

#22    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostClobhair-cean, on 30 November 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

If there are many documented examples, would it be too much trouble to reference a few?

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#23    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostInsanity, on 30 November 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

If there are many documented examples, would it be too much trouble to reference a few?

Page two of this PDF, for example: http://eprints.lse.a...ography_PhD.pdf

I remember some other instances, but I have to dig them up.

#24    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

What do I think of Mokele Mbembe?  I think he's plainly rude for pretending to exist while steadfastly supplying no actual evidence that he does.  The jerk.

Edited by orangepeaceful79, 01 December 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#25    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,016 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

View PostClobhair-cean, on 01 December 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Page two of this PDF, for example: http://eprints.lse.a...ography_PhD.pdf

I remember some other instances, but I have to dig them up.

The Margaret Mead hoax is a good example:

Posted Image

http://www.weirdrepu...m/episode12.htm

Vilcabamba: the town of very old people - http://www.museumofh...very_old_people

Edited by Night Walker, 01 December 2012 - 09:26 PM.

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#26    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,704 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

View PostClobhair-cean, on 29 November 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

There is simply no chance for it to be a sauropod. They were particularly ill-suited for both semi-aquatic and forest life, with their long, inflexible necks and tails, massive weight and foot anatomy.
Maybe jungle would be a better word? Open woodland was the sauropods environment I thought. The long neck being used to browes from many trees while the body was basically still. Or is this also an old idea?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#27    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 02 December 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

Maybe jungle would be a better word? Open woodland was the sauropods environment I thought. The long neck being used to browes from many trees while the body was basically still. Or is this also an old idea?

For example, most North American sauropods are known from the Morrison Formation, which was a large floodplain with occasional patches of forest and generally few trees. I really can't imagine a 20+ metre long, horizontally inflexible animal existing in dense woodland, as it couldn't really move around there.

From where did most sauropods eat is still hotly debated, but yes, they probably grazed on tree leaves. But you don't really see giraffes in a dense forest either. What you have there is the okapi, with a "regular" neck to aid mobility.

#28    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,704 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostClobhair-cean, on 02 December 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

For example, most North American sauropods are known from the Morrison Formation, which was a large floodplain with occasional patches of forest and generally few trees. I really can't imagine a 20+ metre long, horizontally inflexible animal existing in dense woodland, as it couldn't really move around there.

From where did most sauropods eat is still hotly debated, but yes, they probably grazed on tree leaves. But you don't really see giraffes in a dense forest either. What you have there is the okapi, with a "regular" neck to aid mobility.
Right. But the sauropods wouldn't need such very long necks unless the trees were closer together then their neck is long. Logically they would need to be able to reach multiple trees in order to be more efficent. Unless they also grazed ground cover??

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#29    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• 1,145 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 03 December 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

Right. But the sauropods wouldn't need such very long necks unless the trees were closer together then their neck is long. Logically they would need to be able to reach multiple trees in order to be more efficent. Unless they also grazed ground cover??

That is a possibility, but not for all sauropods. I would doubt that the likes of Brachiosaurus or Sauroposeidon, and others with near-vertical necks would have been low grazers.

But bear in mind that sauropods were a very diverse groups of animals, with huge and relatively small individuals, albeit the latter are generally known from either very old strata or are "special". Like the Magyarosaurus, which was only six metres long (still somewhat unsuited for forest life), but this was due to insular dwarfism. The last sauropods, the titanosaurs, more "regularly" humongous.

#30    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,259 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

View PostNight Walker, on 30 November 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Furthermore, look what happens when any outsider temporarily joins an insider-group (sport team, work crew, family, circle of friends, etc) - they get screwed with. It's playful rather than malicious and can go on to create and maintain some recurring themes and amazing legends. It's human nature...

In all walks of life. Brilliant exemple. Illustrates the point perfectly. I am sure every person on this board has experienced such to some extent.

View PostNight Walker, on 30 November 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Now, does anyone know where I can find a good left-handed screwdriver?

Hrrmzz, where the hell did I Put that!! I just HAD the bloody thing before I put my 9 inch copulation tool back in my pocket and grabbed my metric shifting spanner to remove this square drill bit that I have stuck..........

Edited by psyche101, 05 December 2012 - 05:37 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

Also tagged with dinosaurs, mokele mbembe, cryptozoology, cryptid, congo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users