Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ancient Builders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 29 June 2001 - 08:20 PM

I just read about an experiment in California, to demonstrate how the ancient Egyptians may have been able to erect large stones.  They used a mammoth kite to set a 6,900 pound obelisk upright.  It took two tries but less than 5 minutes to raise the obelisk, which had been prone on the ground. I think that's pretty fascinating. I mean, how many people would have thought of using the wind?(Besides you, Magikman!!)
   NORA

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#2    reese92

reese92

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 08:36 PM

Actually, Ancient Greeks, used wind and water for the basis of their lives, on many different levels.  They were a very advanced civilization, but also they were very concious people of nature, and their surroundings.  It would not be too far fetched to think that they might have thought of this technology.   :-*

#3    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 29 June 2001 - 08:37 PM

Nora,

I had seen the same idea featured a while ago. I don't know exactly where, but I found a link to a Time magazine article that discusses it. It is an intriguing theory, but problematic in several ways. There is no colaborating evidence to suggest the Egyptians used this method in any historical records or even any stylized hieroglyphs of the time. The tried and true ramping and brute human strength is still the popular theory.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/printout/0,8816,35072,00.html

MAGIKMAN

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#4    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 30 June 2001 - 04:29 PM

Thanks again, Magikman!  :D  
    Interesting site, I had just read about it in our Sunday newspaper! (Leading me to believe it was recent!) :(

NORABDAWG

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users