Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Myth of Human Progress

Big Bad Voodoo

Complex civilizations have a bad habit of destroying themselves. Anthropologists including Joseph Tainter in “The Collapse of Complex Societies,”

http://www.truthdig....gress_20130113/

Interesting article....though it seems that because of the content of it, perhaps it would fit better in another forum?

Very marxist approach to history and climatology. A bit confused article who would be better off in conspiracy theory or make belief faerie tales forum.

• Like 2

Interesting article. I agree with a lot of what he says, but not about the climate change. The climate has always been changing, how do we know for sure it's because of what we humans do? I also think oil drilling, and the fractal method in particular, get a bad rap.

Interesting article. I agree with a lot of what he says, but not about the climate change. The climate has always been changing, how do we know for sure it's because of what we humans do? I also think oil drilling, and the fractal method in particular, get a bad rap.

Shusss you gonna hurt some feelings saying that... In fact the Egyptians were already driving Humvee in the 3rd millennium BCE that is why Egypt and the entire Mediterranean coast of Africa became a desert.. they didn't pay attention to ozone layers nor CO2 emissions back then.

• Like 1

Very marxist approach to history and climatology. A bit confused article who would be better off in conspiracy theory or make belief faerie tales forum.

We have a make-believe fairie tales forum? Wouldn't that put it right back here in crypto where it started? :lol:

• Like 1

We have a make-believe fairie tales forum? Wouldn't that put it right back here in crypto where it started? :lol:

Didn't even noticed which forum it was in :P

Complex civilizations have a bad habit of destroying themselves. Anthropologists including Joseph Tainter in “The Collapse of Complex Societies,”

http://www.truthdig....gress_20130113/

I do not think we are doomed. This same senario plays out over and over again throughout history. Humans hate change, but when forced to it or even dragged in to it kicking and screaming we have an incredible ability to adapt and overcome. I believe this situation will turn out the same. In the end, right before it is too late we will throw ourselves into it and find a solution. It is a shame that it will come to that because it will cost more in every way imaginable, but such is life.

Very marxist approach to history and climatology.

"The human species, led by white Europeans and Euro-Americans, has been on a 500-year-long planetwide rampage of conquering, plundering, looting, exploiting and polluting the Earth—as well as killing the indigenous communities that stood in the way"

Wow, not very nuanced is it? Why doesn't he tell us how he really feels?

• Like 2

"The human species, led by white Europeans and Euro-Americans, has been on a 500-year-long planetwide rampage of conquering, plundering, looting, exploiting and polluting the Earth—as well as killing the indigenous communities that stood in the way"

I don't know I wasn't there and as far as I know I haven't killed anyone yet... haven't conquered anyone yet and haven't imposed my religious views to anyone yet... so do you care to re-phrase that????

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It reads like leftist propaganda. I would agree with the quote if the author would replace "White Europeans" and "Euro-Americans" with "violent people". I'm not a fan of racism in the guise of history. That includes racist insults of White people.

• Like 4

It reads like leftist propaganda. I would agree with the quote if the author would replace "White Europeans" and "Euro-Americans" with "violent people". I'm not a fan of racism in the guise of history. That includes racist insults of White people.

Empire building and violence is not only a white european trait it goes for people of all places on all continents.The europeans just spread farther possibly because of their technology.

• Like 2

I think, reading what you guys have said about it, that I will pass on this one and not waste my time or my anger reading it.

• Like 2

Empire building and violence is not only a white european trait it goes for people of all places on all continents.The europeans just spread farther possibly because of their technology.

There's no doubt about it. Just ask Genghis Khan. He and his military could have conquered Europe. They combined superior tactics with superior technology. The infantry was no match for his cavalry. The armor was no match for his arrows. His forces murdered and enslaved millions of Asians and Europeans. Somehow, I doubt that leftist authors mention this all that much.

• Like 1

I think, reading what you guys have said about it, that I will pass on this one and not waste my time or my anger reading it.

Speaking of the imperial Mongolians, the Vietnamese forces stopped them when they tried to conquer their country. The battles demonstrated how vital terrain is to combat.

There's no doubt about it. Just ask Genghis Khan. He and his military could have conquered Europe. They combined superior tactics with superior technology. The infantry was no match for his cavalry. The armor was no match for his arrows. His forces murdered and enslaved millions of Asians and Europeans. Somehow, I doubt that leftist authors mention this all that much.

Exactly,there are several cases like this throughout history.I have about 1000 pages i have written in a binder i did for a class a few years back of empires and other conquerors.I got the best grade in the class,but my prof would not let me share it with the class.Said he understood lots of these things happened but in his word's some things have to be politically correct.So............

• Like 1

Exactly,there are several cases like this throughout history.I have about 1000 pages i have written in a binder i did for a class a few years back of empires and other conquerors.I got the best grade in the class,but my prof would not let me share it with the class.Said he understood lots of these things happened but in his word's some things have to be politically correct.So............

That is messed up beyond belief! It shows that some students are brainwashed by propaganda. You were one of the few who could see through the obvious and odious indoctrination. PC mythology is no better than racist mythology.

• Like 2

That is messed up beyond belief! It shows that some students are brainwashed by propaganda. You were one of the few who could see through the obvious and odious indoctrination. PC mythology is no better than racist mythology.

I was pretty mad about it,but realized not much i could do.Got my grade and realized most now days enjoy being told how things are and were,instead of finding out the real truth.As i say having someone tell you how to do,what to do,and how to feel about it all makes being stupid easier for them.

• Like 1

I was pretty mad about it,but realized not much i could do.Got my grade and realized most now days enjoy being told how things are and were,instead of finding out the real truth.As i say having someone tell you how to do,what to do,and how to feel about it all makes being stupid easier for them.

Don't get me started on the Civil War. I read quotes from "the bad guys" and "the good guys" that contradicted what they taught me in school. I learned that Lincoln wasn't the saint that I believed him to be. That said, he was a man of his times.

• Like 1

Don't get me started on the Civil War. I read quotes from "the bad guys" and "the good guys" that contradicted what they taught me in school. I learned that Lincoln wasn't the saint that I believed him to be. That said, he was a man of his times.

Agreed lincoln was a good president and did good things,granted a lot of the modern stories have far over exaggerated his hand in them unfolding the way they did.A good bit of what he gets credited for was more secondary effects than his original purposes.

• Like 1

All the super powers like america,russia will fall one day.

Agreed cool everything eventually burns,cool pic btw curly was always my favorite of the stooges haha

• Like 1

Agreed cool everything eventually burns,cool pic btw curly was always my favorite of the stooges haha

That makes two of us. No one could replace him. Shemp was great, but he was no Curly. Curly Joe and Joe De Rita were like the Gummo Marx and Zeppo Marx of the Three Stooges.

• Like 1