Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another recently discovered species

Homer

We have just recently discussed the newly discovered Giant Squid and even more recent Giant Octopus, but it appears in Southern California scientists have discovered at least a half-dozen new insect species, among them the largest bug ever found in the region. For more information CLICK HERE

[glow=blue,2,300]Homer :sj

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• Tommy

• Loonboy

• PurpleStuart

Thanks Homer,  :)

Thats one ugly looking bug!  :s9

Tommy

:sh

(needed this post to stay ahead of KC  ;D)

What I don't understand is how did they overlook the largest bug in the region?

Go ahead Tommy!   :D

I love a challenge!   :sk

Now I'd better read the article!!   ;D

A  silk-spinning cricket?  I just can't see it!  I thought crickets were the dinner the spiders packed away!  Ah,  the tables are turned!!  :s02

Oh,  and I never knew coyotes ate bugs!

KC

(at least I'm still in the race,  right Tommy?) :s04

*hides behind homer*

****, i hate bugs

*shiver*

[blue]I guess if they missed a few new species in California, it speaks volumes about the chances of overlooking Bigfoot in the Pacific Northwest....

;D

[/blue]

You're on KC!  :s04

But a race would imply that it finishes somewhere... :s6

But anywhoo, back to the thread:  "The newly identified insects, still unnamed scientifically..."  might I propose the name 'the ugliest bug in the world'  :sr  I can't even tell which end his head is it!  :s2

Tommy

Too busy running away to note which way that bugger was facing!

Tommy,

You said you can't tell which end the bugs head is at, unfortunately I've been told the same thing about me :s2

Although they rate it as a 'discovery', I think the meaning is related more to an exact scientific classification, rather than the species never having been physically 'seen' or encountered before. There is an enormous difference between reclassifying types of insects previously thought to be inclusive of a known 'group,' and discovering something entirely unknown.  This is from the article;

"Previously, scientists believed all Jerusalem crickets in California represented a single species.""You suddenly have a lot of things that everyone thought was the same thing," said Fisher...

I would guess the thinking was a cricket is a cricket until this detailed, thorough study. There are millions of insects, it will be awhile before they have them all sorted, in my opinion. I don't think this case lends itself well to the supposition that this 'discovery' makes the existence of 'bigfoot' any more plausible, however.  Its pretty difficult to overlook a seven foot tall, 500 pound, hairy, smelly 'beast', even given the vastness of the Pacific Northwest. Some of the area may have been remote and inaccessible 30 or 40 years ago, but I really don't think those deterrents apply that much anymore. The creature loses more and more 'mystique' every year as we encroach into its territory and fail to find any concrete evidence of its viability. Still, its our 'Loch Ness Monster', and there will always be those who believe.

Magikman  :sg

* - Just to tease you a bit, this is one of the latest photo's thought to be of a bigfoot (taken in Oregon);

Ummm...me too, Loonboy...I think...

However, not including Bigfeet, this is still an important discovery and leads one to think that if new species can be discovered/identified in an urban area, just imagine what's waiting to be discovered/identified in rural areas, or better yet, areas that have yet to be populated at all. The Amazon has new discoveries on a relatively frequent basis.

Well you guys might have been joking, but to me, the ugly bugger looks symmetrical!  :s01 :sf

Tommy

:s9

Tommy,

We were joking about Bigfoot/Bigfeet, not about the bugs. The bug thing is for real and I agree with you, the creepy bugger looks symmetrical all right.

Damn you Brits and your dry, indecipherable wit.  ;D  I see I'm going to have to dust off my old "Python" tapes and immerse myself in them again just to keep up with the humor and double-entendres.  :s03

Magikman  :)

But Tommy, I thought Siamese Bugs weren't supposed to be re-classified until next year ;D

It certainly gets an invite to "The ugly bugs ball" :s2 :s2 or both of them do ;D

Baldrick could have made a feast out if it had it been discovered in World War 1  :s01