Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Americas: 9/11 art project sparks NY anger

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:37 PM

9/11 art project sparks NY anger
A US artist in a harness has thrown himself off a five-storey building more than 30 times to create photographs recalling the 11 September attacks.
Kerry Skarbakka was photographed as he repeatedly fell from the roof of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago.

He had the idea after seeing Twin Towers workers fall to their deaths. "I was so distraught, I needed some way to find an artistic response," he said.

New York mayor Michael Bloomberg called the project "nauseatingly offensive".

'Sick individual'

Skarbakka, 34, previously exhibited images of him falling off balconies, from trees and off stepladders.

"Mentally, physically and emotionally, from day to day, we fall. Even walking is falling. You take a step, fall and catch yourself," he said.

More than 2,700 people died when hijacked planes collided with New York's World Trade Center on 11 September 2001.

The mother of a man killed in the attacks was reportedly unimpressed by Skarbakka's latest photo project.

"What kind of a sick individual is he? Tell him to go jump off the Empire State Building and see how it feels," Paul Salvio's mother Rosemarie Giallombardo told the New York Daily News.

"He's an artist? Go paint a bowl of fruit or something."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/ente...rts/4104558.stm

.... yeah that is sick huh.gif

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#2    Monkyburd

Monkyburd

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• "TIME is an abstract concept created by carbon based life forms to monitor their ongoing decay" ~Thunderclese

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

You may be offended, but thats how art is; Artists seek out the edges of moral/social barriers and explore them. All art is controversial when its first shown... look at nude figures? The Venus DeMilo is still censored whenever its shown on TV, even though its nudity in the sake of art, not in a lewd or underhanded manner.

#3    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(Monkyburd @ Jun 17 2005, 12:41 PM)
You may be offended, but thats how art is; Artists seek out the edges of moral/social barriers and explore them. All art is controversial when its first shown... look at nude figures? The Venus DeMilo is still censored whenever its shown on TV, even though its nudity in the sake of art, not in a lewd or underhanded manner.

View Post

That is such an interesting reply... "Artists seek out the edges of moral/social barriers and explore them."

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#4    SnakeProphet

SnakeProphet

My dearest serpent

• 2,476 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

But you do know,that torture,murder etc are beyond the social border?

Posted Image

Someone is gonna die if you listen to me.

I try to salvage thoughts long gone,
I am the mountain that dreams on.

I am the sea that longs for freedom.
lashing out towards my chains.

#5    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:16 PM

^ Not always... I have seen a lot of killer's art work but this guy just went to far. Disgusting he would use that suicide to make money. no.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#6    SnakeProphet

SnakeProphet

My dearest serpent

• 2,476 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:19 PM

Not always... I have seen a lot of killer's art work but this guy just went to far. Disgusting he would use that suicide to make money.

No,not always.What I was trying to show,is that murderers do the very same thing.Does that mean they are artists?

Posted Image

Someone is gonna die if you listen to me.

I try to salvage thoughts long gone,
I am the mountain that dreams on.

I am the sea that longs for freedom.
lashing out towards my chains.

#7    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:25 PM

^ In the sick world of art... yes. There is some art that have been forwarded to me in e-mail that I can't even describe for this forum. The limits of art are no longer limited to nude bodies resting on a grape vine, as in the old ages. The vast art world of today has next to everything for "art".

Edit: Stupid typo demons!  devil.gif

Edited by __Kratos__, 17 June 2005 - 08:25 PM.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#8    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,886 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

Well, technically, it is art, in the sense that it is a medium being used to draw forth an emotional response from the viewer, and the man is an artist in the sense that this is the method which defines his life.  I can't really say it's sick, since it is not my place to judge anothers tastes and choices.  I will say it is in bad taste, and consideration should have been taken over the reception, but then, every artist faces the dangers of the public.

Ultimately, I will walk away from this art because I do not like what it represents, but I do recognize that it is art in its own right, albeit not necessarily good art.

#9    TooFarGone

TooFarGone

Blissfully Chaotic

• 3,682 posts

• I am chaos at its finest

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:36 PM

I dont find anything wrong with ti. He said he was distraught over seeing the 9/11 pictures, so he wanted an artistic way of expressing how he felt. Some of his pictures are really cool all the same.

Linky Linky

Too / FarGone
TooFar_Gone
TooFa/ rGone
TooFarG_one
T_oo/FarGone
Too/Far_Gone
Too_Far_Gone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users