Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Joy of Bigfoot

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

I agree, there is definitely a fraud for profit angle to some of bigfootery. Since, I don't believe that many fraud for profiteers actually believe in its existence.

Wide-eyed kids are told facts, shown signs, and given bf experiences. If that isn't enough they even get to listen to a few scientists wax on about sasquatch.

But indoctrination into the unknown or unproven is nothing new.

Since there currently exists no scientific proof of these creatures, why not read the stories/reports (for fun), get out in the woods and explore the bf signs
"What do you think made this? How can we find out?
What is making that sound? How can we find out?
Does x prove the existence of bigfoot?
Where do you think it would live? Eat? How plausible is that ? Why?
Who is this bfspeaker we just listened to/read his book?"
and a million more and better thinking questions

Keep your beliefs if you want, but help kids to make up their own minds. To be critical thinkers who understand/appreciate the natural world and know the types of people who make up our real world, not passive believers who do not and end up preyed upon.

I've enjoy some classic dracula movies but I never made my  kids sleep with garlic around their necks.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 March 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#17    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,442 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

View PostORA ET LABORA, on 13 March 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

oh geez...

cause big foots so g-rated...what are u 12?

I'm not even close to age 12. What I am though is a forum moderator. I suggest you review the UM rules that you agreed to when you accepted the terms of service.

Here are two rules that apply:

3g. Suggestive conduct: Do not post sexually suggestive comments or content on the forums

6a. Compliance: You agree to co-operate with the requests of our site staff should you be asked to stop doing something that they deem to be disruptive, inappropriate or in violation of the terms of service.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#18    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,554 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

At the very least, it is lying, and filling uneducated peoples heads with a bunch of crap. Like our younger generations are not spoon fed enough fecal matter from TV and the Internet.

Well, this was  my point. As stupid and wasteful as it all is, I don't see it any different than... some celebrity endorsing $1,000 jeans, or someone funding a mountain climbing holiday with sponsors or anything like that. Are they all fraud? Yah, you could argue that I think. "Needing" $1,000 jeans is fraud.

Embrace the impossible.

#19    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

Fraud? Just watch infomercial TV after 2-3 am.
Gullible? There wouldn't be any infomercials if there weren't buyers.

Skin-care products have legally made claims for decades that are not even physiologically possible.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 March 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#20    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

Cody Lundin and Joe Teti (2013 Dual Survival) discussed bigfoot, but I only caught the last couple of seconds. Not sure if it was part of the episode I was half watching, they were in the Klamath Mt, California..

#21    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

At the risk of disagreeing with everyone, it's only fraud if you make promises to people. "If you go on this expedition with me you will see a Bigfoot." That's a promise of a reasonable expectation and if you in fact have no intention of fulfilling that is fraud. However, if you're going on an expedition to teach you what to look for, how to properly make a footprint cast, how to get DNA evidence without contamination, how to howl correctly, how to tree knock. Then so long as they do that......mind you, they don't even have to take you out in the woods to do any or all of those things.

It's a bloody "how to" seminar, not unlike literally hundreds I've attended in my professional life. Oh, and that price doesn't have include anything really, food, lodging, anything. I was sent to a CAD seminar once CAD standing for Computer Aided Design to be trained on a new analytically software that was an add on to our existing package and when I arrived there wasn't a single computer in the room. We literally watched an over head presentation on what the screens looked like and after sitting through the first session I called my boss and told him to cancel everyone else he was sending because it was a joke. Unfortunately I had to remain to get what I could from the seminar then I had to train the rest of the designers in the department on how to actually use the system.

Selling tee shirts and hats and all that sort of thing is what happens at a lot of these things as well. Look at Bobo from "Finding Bigfoot" he's got more crazy caps than any redneck good old boy I know and if you go on one of the BFRO's expeditions odds are good they'll have lots of cheaply made, sucky quality caps for you to buy at the outrageously low price of only $19.99, but by God you'll be just like old Bobo. Sadly, this is not fraud, it's marketing.

Personally, I'd not spend any of my money to go on any "expedition" or training seminar, I think the BFRO requires all their field researchers to attend three seminars of increasing degrees. Not really sure on that but I think I recall reading that over on their website.

#22    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,272 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

If anything I feel sad now. I have deliberately cut out our guys.

As I was going to move I had to stop the active exchange with our guys as I didn't want them risking coming close to the house or to others. I don't think they would have when they realized I was gone but it wasn't something to risk. I've done every thing I can to protect these guys after I learnt the hard way not to trust others.

I then spent a year out of action with illness, so now if I go for a bush walk I will sometimes get signs like calls that they are still around but thought it best to leave it alone. It's about migration time here so the group should be moving on over winter.

It makes me angry that people go out there making money, the odds of having any contact in the first night out is massive it takes months or even longer of constant multiple visits before you may get lucky enough to start making contact.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#23    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,156 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Posted Image

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#24    hatecraft

hatecraft

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Migration time?  Yeah, ok.

#25    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 13 March 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

At the risk of disagreeing with everyone, it's only fraud if you make promises to people. "If you go on this expedition with me you will see a Bigfoot." That's a promise of a reasonable expectation and if you in fact have no intention of fulfilling that is fraud. However, if you're going on an expedition to teach you what to look for, how to properly make a footprint cast, how to get DNA evidence without contamination, how to howl correctly, how to tree knock. Then so long as they do that......mind you, they don't even have to take you out in the woods to do any or all of those things.

It's a bloody "how to" seminar, not unlike literally hundreds I've attended in my professional life. Oh, and that price doesn't have include anything really, food, lodging, anything. I was sent to a CAD seminar once CAD standing for Computer Aided Design to be trained on a new analytically software that was an add on to our existing package and when I arrived there wasn't a single computer in the room. We literally watched an over head presentation on what the screens looked like and after sitting through the first session I called my boss and told him to cancel everyone else he was sending because it was a joke. Unfortunately I had to remain to get what I could from the seminar then I had to train the rest of the designers in the department on how to actually use the system.

Selling tee shirts and hats and all that sort of thing is what happens at a lot of these things as well. Look at Bobo from "Finding Bigfoot" he's got more crazy caps than any redneck good old boy I know and if you go on one of the BFRO's expeditions odds are good they'll have lots of cheaply made, sucky quality caps for you to buy at the outrageously low price of only $19.99, but by God you'll be just like old Bobo. Sadly, this is not fraud, it's marketing.

Personally, I'd not spend any of my money to go on any "expedition" or training seminar, I think the BFRO requires all their field researchers to attend three seminars of increasing degrees. Not really sure on that but I think I recall reading that over on their website.

I agree.
Except some make claims that your expedition will be in an area with (known, recent) bigfoot activity.
And they talk about their encounters and have their shills talk about their encounters on the last expedition. Even the ones who are careful not to promise anything sure hype up a high level of expectation. Otherwise, who would go?
Dishonest at best. Keeping one inch from using fraudulent language to promote isn't what I'd call ethical business practices.

Maybe they can make outlandish promises of encounters as long as you sign a paper saying you understand that an encounter can not be guaranteed and you won't sue. The expedition/etc is for entertainment purposes only.

I don't care about the T-shirts and bumper stickers and hats. I'd wear them myself if I wasn't over the age of 12. That's about the age my kids quite wearing superhero and cartoon paraphernalia. Though, I would like to find a little Big Guy to hang from my rear view mirror.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 March 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#26    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 13 March 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Posted Image

I remember that episode! It was right after he came back from an expedition. He was so excited!
Well, as excited as soft-spoken Bob was capable of...

#27    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

"You need to read through this more than once to get a functional grasp of the dynamics of these behaviors. Once you have that grasp, then everything that happens around you will make more sense, and not shock you as much. You will be less likely to panic, or vomit, or defecate, etc., druing your first encounter." http://www.bfro.net/green_men.asp
(underlining, mine)

Participants in expeditions are told to read this hype and more before their first expedition. In fact, they are told to read suggested material more than once.

Hmmmm? Is this concern for the participants? Or, does this help ensure an "encounter" when one is already all hyped up about it prior to the event?

Marketing, sure. You can't sell what you don't market. But that doesn't excuse "fraudulent"...disgusting dishonesty/deceitfulness, imo.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 March 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#28    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Just because it may be impossible to prove fraud when it comes to some things bigfoot... How do you prove it wasn't bigfoot you smelled on the expedition? (unless someone somehow catches expedition sanctioned hoaxers in the act, if indeed there are any)
...only makes it an easy con to play on others, not less deceitful.

#29    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Posted Image

View PostPurplos, on 13 March 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

I really don't get everyone who says, "It's time to grow up." Why? What's so wrong about entertaining fun fantasies?

This is a good point and is close to the heart of the Joy of Bigfoot.

View PostQuiteContrary, on 13 March 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Except some make claims that your expedition will be in an area with (known, recent) bigfoot activity.
And they talk about their encounters and have their shills talk about their encounters on the last expedition. Even the ones who are careful not to promise anything sure hype up a high level of expectation. Otherwise, who would go?
Dishonest at best. Keeping one inch from using fraudulent language to promote isn't what I'd call ethical business practices.

At worst it is dishonest. At best it is Legend-Tripping! Just like calling on Bloody Mary or visiting the local haunted house. The thrill of danger is REAL - people have actually died whilst legend-tripping, you know (but not from Bigfoot or Bloody Mary or ghosts or...)

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#30    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

I posted this before in another thread, but I think it is joyous!!

Samuel L. Jackson in.... Bigfoots on a Plane...

Attached File  B'Foots on a Plane.jpg   92.05K   4 downloads

"I'm sick of these mother F*ing bigfoots on this mother F*ing plane!!!"

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users