Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientology and the cloak of religion

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 11,977 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Scientology isn't a religion.  It's a business that obtained it's "religious" status with the IRS with some very suspicious means.

Most religions are free.  You go to the services and learn the doctrine.  No charge.  You can pick up their religious books and writings at most of their locations for free.  

Scientology does NOT do this.  In order to obtain "enlightenment" or become "clear" you must pay large sums of money for every step.

I could go on all day about how Scientology is a dangerous, abusive business.  NOT a religion.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#17    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,683 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 31 January 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Scientology isn't a religion.  It's a business that obtained it's "religious" status with the IRS with some very suspicious means.

Most religions are free.  You go to the services and learn the doctrine.  No charge.  You can pick up their religious books and writings at most of their locations for free.  

Scientology does NOT do this.  In order to obtain "enlightenment" or become "clear" you must pay large sums of money for every step.

I could go on all day about how Scientology is a dangerous, abusive business.  NOT a religion.

Nibs

Exactly.  They are ruthless in their dealings.   Hiding murder and extortion behind the label of religion frustrates the hell out of me.  I sure hope all this crap Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes caused actually draws so much negative attention that the 'church' starts to erode.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#18    notforgotten

notforgotten

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

• Those who could not hear the music thought those who were dancing to be insane.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Scientolgy is a cult that does not believe in a God, merely spirits...whoop-t-do!

#19    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,683 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 31 January 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Scientolgy is a cult that does not believe in a God, merely spirits...whoop-t-do!
The whoop-t-do is the murder, extortion and harassment  that the followers practice.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#20    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

I remember reading L. Ron Hubbards book, which claimed to be the greastest self help book ever. Self help? Three quarters of the way through it, in big bold print  " DO NOT TRY THIS BY YOUR SELF" After I had finished laughing I through the piece of s**t away.

I also remember in the late seventies, taking one of their free personality test/profiles. After only a few minutes with a scientologist I felt extremely uncomfortable and had a hard time getting the hell out of there. It was really quite unnerving and to this day when every I hear anything about scientology I 'm thinking ya...right, what a crock of s**t.

#21    notforgotten

notforgotten

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

• Those who could not hear the music thought those who were dancing to be insane.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 31 January 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

The whoop-t-do is the murder, extortion and harassment  that the followers practice.
I meant, no big deal!

#22    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

View PostAntilles, on 31 January 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

All mainstream religions are based on atonement of your own wrongs and helping other people.

Oh boy. Where did you get that one from? Afaic, you pulled that claim out of thin air.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#23    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 31 January 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

That would describe islam too, which is a so-called mainstream religion.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#24    FreeZoner

FreeZoner

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 31 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

It's basically now a religion though sense the 'cult leader' per say died and the church is now run by multiple leaders. Just look at Christianity, in the early days it was considered a cult due to following one man, now though it's just a religion.
There is one cult leader. The Church of Scientology is the cult and David Miscavige rules with an iron fisit. Then there is the FreeZone, comporised of several groups and individuals that practice Scientology free of any infulence of the "church".

#25    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 31 January 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

One big difference is Scientology was penned by one man in order to fleece people.

Most every religion is pinned by one man. I can´t think of any that is the result of a co-operative effort.
So take that artificial distinction and flush it.

#26    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

(Oscar Wilde)

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 31 January 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

One big difference is Scientology was penned by one man in order to fleece people.

Most every religion is pinned by one man. I can´t think of any that is the result of a co-operative effort.

Edited by Zaphod222, 30 April 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#27    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,139 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 30 April 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

H'm. You gave us your post twice.  Any flushing my friend needs to be done with these posts of yours and Scientology. Because they are both made of the same waste material.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users