Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

N.Korea to "wipe out U.S.

Lord Umbarger

What total chutzpah! LOL! I really can't see North Korea being able to wipe out any nation as large as ours without the help of a serious Fifth Column or total disunity among the population sort of like what we had with the Terror War on a greatly magnified scale. Even then though, it would be more of an issue of us tearing ourselves up than them actually being able to "wipe us out". Still, it makes for a good read and kind of demonstrates the mindset of this radical nation.

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea threatened Wednesday to wipe the United States off the map as Washington and its allies watched for signs the regime will launch a series of missiles in the coming days.

Off China's coast, a U.S. destroyer was tailing a North Korean ship suspected of transporting illicit weapons to Myanmar in what could be the first test of U.N. sanctions passed to punish the nation for an underground nuclear test last month.

The Kang Nam left the North Korean port of Nampo a week ago with the USS John S. McCain close behind. The ship, accused of transporting banned goods in the past, is believed bound for Myanmar, according to South Korean and U.S. officials.

The new U.N. Security Council resolution requires member states to seek permission to inspect suspicious cargo. North Korea has said it would consider interception a declaration of war and on Wednesday accused the U.S. of seeking to provoke another Korean War.

"If the U.S. imperialists start another war, the army and people of Korea will ... wipe out the aggressors on the globe once and for all," the official Korean Central News Agency said.

The warning came on the eve of the 59th anniversary of the start of the three-year Korean War, which ended in a truce in 1953, not a peace treaty, leaving the peninsula in state of war.

The U.S. has 28,500 troops in South Korea to protect against an outbreak of hostilities.

Tensions have been high since North Korea launched a long-range rocket in April and then conducted its second underground atomic test on May 25.

Reacting to U.N. condemnation of that test, North Korea walked away from nuclear disarmament talks and warned it would fire a long-range missile.

North Korea has banned ships from the waters off its east coast starting Thursday through July 10 for military exercises, Japan's Coast Guard said.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported Wednesday that the North may fire a Scud missile with a range of up to 310 miles (500 kilometers) or a short-range ground-to-ship missile with a range of 100 miles (160 kilometers) during the no-sail period.

A senior South Korean government official said the no-sail ban is believed connected to North Korean plans to fire short- or mid-range missiles. He spoke on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.

U.S. defense and counterproliferation officials in Washington said they also expected the North to launch short- to medium-range missiles. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.

South Korea will expedite the introduction of high-tech unmanned aerial surveillance systems and "bunker-buster" bombs in response to North Korea's provocations, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper said, citing unidentified ruling party members.

Meanwhile, a flurry of diplomatic efforts were under way to try getting North Korea to return to disarmament talks.

Russia's top nuclear envoy, Alexei Borodavkin, said after meeting with his South Korean counterpart that Moscow is open to other formats for discussion since Pyongyang has pulled out of formal six-nation negotiations.

In Beijing, top U.S. and Chinese defense officials also discussed North Korea. U.S. Defense Undersecretary Michele Flournoy was heading next to Tokyo and Seoul for talks.

South Korea has proposed high-level "consultations" to discuss North Korea with the U.S., Russia, China and Japan.

More of the story HERE! LOL!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MARAB0D

• AROCES

• questionmark

• Stardrive

Somebody should tell the "Beloved Leader" that he should take his Prozac and chill out....

This will anger Chuck Norris. You won't like Chuck when he's angry. The madder Chuck gets, the stronger he gets.

You cannot Scroop Ice Scream With Cop Stick! Kim Jung il Will go mad trying if we send to him peace offering of Ice Scream and no spoons. Oh Wait he is already Mad! :wacko:

Pavot

Man this Kim guy really has a bad case of "little man syndrom" he is pretty funny though did you guys see him in Team America, classic :lol:

It's not really a laughing matter considering North Korea has access to nuclear weapons, sure they won't win a war, but they will definitely kill thousands, if not hundreds of thousands.

It's not really a laughing matter considering North Korea has access to nuclear weapons, sure they won't win a war, but they will definitely kill thousands, if not hundreds of thousands.

Agreed. Goliath also thought David was a laughing stock. I can only note that the AP had this Korean statement published on 24th June, and for the next 12 hours neither BBC not CNN mentioned it - this only can mean US government simply did not know what to say, and this may account for... panic.

It is interesting that being allies, Iran and North Korea seem to have split the responsibilities. Iran is mainly pressing anger against UK, while N Korea, as it looks, promised to take care of USA...

Agreed. Goliath also thought David was a laughing stock. I can only note that the AP had this Korean statement published on 24th June, and for the next 12 hours neither BBC not CNN mentioned it - this only can mean US government simply did not know what to say, and this may account for... panic.

It is interesting that being allies, Iran and North Korea seem to have split the responsibilities. Iran is mainly pressing anger against UK, while N Korea, as it looks, promised to take care of USA...

Wonder if Obama's the type of President to act before something happens, or to react when it does. If I was president, I'd drop a merc team in there, wack the guy, then plant evidence against iran. Heh heh heh.

I don't know where you got that from, North Korea is as much an ally of Iran as Pakistan...they have common business interest, but that is it.

I don't know where you got that from, North Korea is as much an ally of Iran as Pakistan...they have common business interest, but that is it.

The fact is that N Korea starts talking hard way each time Israel is about to bomb Iran. They are allies by necessity, and cover each other's back - and when needed their "secret" supporters step in, China and Russia. Last August Russia saved Iran by attacking Georgia - as US was just about to use its airfields for the attack. N Korea is very far from being on its own at all.

The fact is that N Korea starts talking hard way each time Israel is about to bomb Iran. They are allies by necessity, and cover each other's back - and when needed their "secret" supporters step in, China and Russia. Last August Russia saved Iran by attacking Georgia - as US was just about to use its airfields for the attack. N Korea is very far from being on its own at all.

Ye...and so does China, and Russia, and Yemen, and Oman, ans Syria, and Sudan and about 200 other basket cases...but most of them would claw each others heart out if they could. Allies is something else.

Wonder if Obama's the type of President to act before something happens, or to react when it does. If I was president, I'd drop a merc team in there, wack the guy, then plant evidence against iran. Heh heh heh.

If we look at the location of the Korean nuclear test site, it is in some 50 km from Chinese border and a bit further away, some 100 km from Russian border. Means, it is covered by neighbors' airdefences. Hardly any US president could authorize an attack on NK with intercontinental or cruise missiles, as these would be flying toward Russia and China and with 90% probability would cause a retaliative strike. The only way is to attack with aircraft-carried nukes - but N Korea just has demonstrated that they control their airspace pretty tightly and have abundance of antiaircraft warfare. On the ground the objects are covered by 1-million army always on alert state...

This seems to be making the decision being irrelevant to the personality of Obama - the entire situation demonstrates the loss of American influence, so any little nuclear predator can afford to dictate.

Ye...and so does China, and Russia, and Yemen, and Oman, ans Syria, and Sudan and about 200 other basket cases...but most of them would claw each others heart out if they could. Allies is something else.

Allies are the countries which have to act together in order to survive. Alliances are created of necessity, and each country always prefers to act unanimously but is often forced into an alliance due to the lack of own capacity. Use the advantage of being in Greece and buy Thucydides' "Peloponnese War", the mechanism of creating alliances is studied in it in most possible details. Just replace Athens with USA, Sparta with Russia and Thebes with China (or in any other combination, as they are all possible). Then N Korea would be some Korkira or whatever you like more to compare it with.

Allies are the countries which have to act together in order to survive. Alliances are created of necessity, and each country always prefers to act unanimously but is often forced into an alliance due to the lack of own capacity. Use the advantage of being in Greece and buy Thucydides' "Peloponnese War", the mechanism of creating alliances is studied in it in most possible details. Just replace Athens with USA, Sparta with Russia and Thebes with China (or in any other combination, as they are all possible). Then N Korea would be some Korkira or whatever you like more to compare it with.

The difference is, that to the contrary of the Peloponnese Wars, coming shove to push nobody is going to stick their necks out for North Korea, as the last few security council resolutions have demonstrated, they ended in unanimous condemnation. And there is nothing to gain by sticking up for Korea either.

North Korea has access to nuclear weapons, sure they won't win a war, but they will definitely kill thousands, if not hundreds of thousands.

True, look at all the trouble that the 19 terrorists caused with a few airplanes and a death count of just under 3,000. Just imagine how ape **** the U.S., and most of the rest of modern world would get if a couple of nukes went off somewhere.

The old Bush Plan, eh? LOL! Nah, I'm actually sort of surprised that something like that hasn't already happened. Kind of shocking that the Chi-Coms haven't done it just to prevent a bigger war with the West at some point. I mean, I don't think that they really liked being dragged in the Korean Conflict of 1950-52. Knowing that they would almost have to assist the North Koreans again, it would seem like they would be more interested in having a sensible leader in power there now.

The difference is, that to the contrary of the Peloponnese Wars, coming shove to push nobody is going to stick their necks out for North Korea, as the last few security council resolutions have demonstrated, they ended in unanimous condemnation. And there is nothing to gain by sticking up for Korea either.

Can't you see that UN resolution is just words? By approving the sanctions, China and Russia simply refuse to take responsibility for what NK can do in future. So, if US is in fact badly scratched, they would always shrug their shoulders and say - we did not ask it to scratch you, remember we were for the sanctions... NK of course cannot wipe US off the map - but it can try to provoke the others to do this, say by attacking continental US at such moment when China and Russia have no time for a logical decision what to do with the American retaliative missiles approaching their borders. It is only 15 minutes for a missile to cross Pacific, and there is not enough mutual trust between them all three to just sit and wait where exactly it flies! If this happens amid the night, then the decision to attack USA would be made by some lieutenant or a colonel near the button before someone wakes up the leaders (who in Russia's case can be simply drunk if it coincides with some celebration like New Year day). Think about it!

Can't you see that UN resolution is just words? By approving the sanctions, China and Russia simply refuse to take responsibility for what NK can do in future. So, if US is in fact badly scratched, they would always shrug their shoulders and say - we did not ask it to scratch you, remember we were for the sanctions... NK of course cannot wipe US off the map - but it can try to provoke the others to do this, say by attacking continental US at such moment when China and Russia have no time for a logical decision what to do with the American retaliative missiles approaching their borders. It is only 15 minutes for a missile to cross Pacific, and there is not enough mutual trust between them all three to just sit and wait where exactly it flies! If this happens amid the night, then the decision to attack USA would be made by some lieutenant or a colonel near the button before someone wakes up the leaders (who in Russia's case can be simply drunk if it coincides with some celebration like New Year day). Think about it!

so one dimensional thinking. hope you dont play chess.

the first thing that the USA would do is to call leaders in china and Russia and tell them what we are doing. no "low on the totem pole" colonel or general is going to push the button as you say could happen, i dont care what the case.

the only way NK could bomb us over here is to send a bomb in a shipping container or some like way.

and in a way an event like the bombing of one of our big cities could actually help the worlds' economies. all the irresponsible countries would have their nuclear capabilities taken away.

the only way NK could bomb us over here is to send a bomb in a shipping container or some like way.
They don't have to. If they were to strike an ally or one of our bases in the region, it would have the same effect as hitting us in our homeland. We'd be obliged to retaliate.

I've got my money on the North Koreans hitting either Japan or a U.S. base in Japan. I could be wrong but, that is what I'm guessing would be the most likely targets. Even though it would actually make more sense to hit South Korea in a lot of ways, I'd lean against that target because I think that they would be a little wary of alienating the people that they are trying to take over any more than necessary. If they hit Japan, they can claim that they are striking out at an age old enemy. If they hit a U.S. base in the area, they can say that they are fighting for the freedom of Asia from U.S. domination.

They don't have to. If they were to strike an ally or one of our bases in the region, it would have the same effect as hitting us in our homeland. We'd be obliged to retaliate.

I've got my money on the North Koreans hitting either Japan or a U.S. base in Japan. I could be wrong but, that is what I'm guessing would be the most likely targets. Even though it would actually make more sense to hit South Korea in a lot of ways, I'd lean against that target because I think that they would be a little wary of alienating the people that they are trying to take over any more than necessary. If they hit Japan, they can claim that they are striking out at an age old enemy. If they hit a U.S. base in the area, they can say that they are fighting for the freedom of Asia from U.S. domination.

The actual threat was to start with the US base in South Korea with 28,000 troops, as the threat was directly related to US statement that US takes S Korea under nuclear umbrella. This is technically possible and can be accomplished any second. But of course I have noticed how suddenly quiet Japan became for the last few weeks... They only mentioned continental USA at the very end.

so one dimensional thinking. hope you dont play chess.

the first thing that the USA would do is to call leaders in china and Russia and tell them what we are doing. no "low on the totem pole" colonel or general is going to push the button as you say could happen, i dont care what the case.

and in a way an event like the bombing of one of our big cities could actually help the worlds' economies. all the irresponsible countries would have their nuclear capabilities taken away.

Sorry, I did not realize at once that a Grossmeister was among the auditory, this is why I skipped explaining the details like for the kindy kids and mentioned only the "lack of trust" between the involved parties. Your brave 2-dimensional thinking comes from the idea that the world is a chessboard (good not a cheeseboard!) and you think there is only two players on it - but this chessboard is multidimensional and has many players at once, and some cool ones too...

I know, for a peaceful chess-player it is hard to understand that immediate response to such telephone call from US would only be a total military alarm in expectation of a possible nuclear strike - so the permission to launch would be given UPFRONT thus transferring the responsibility to the army personnel, while the Presidents themselves would proceed into their shelters. Meanwhile about 90% of Russia's nuclear potential (10-15 thousand of tactical nukes) is not under President's control at all, as it belongs to the tactical structures like Army or Navy and its usage does not require anything but an order from the generals - which are also capable to make a retaliatory strike on their own, though a much weaker one than the one by Strategic Forces. Weaker means instead of 15-20 megaton they would use 4-5 charges of 20-25 kilotons. Not that destructive, but much dirtier...

Also, when you take a queen on the board, it does not leave nuclear fallout around - which is different from the case when N Korea is nuked. One must really be delirious to think that R. and C. would appreciate a nuclear war on their borders without interfering in it, and one must be super-delirious to think they would support that exactly country which covered their own citizens with radionuclides.

can anyone say second korean war?

anyways, it would be something to see how this one would turn out

China would be on them like stink on a cowpie if they nuked anyone.

Yeah. I reckon they'd invade North Korea to beat the U.S to the punch. LOL.

Better them than the U.S taking over a nation at their doorstep. (From their point of view).

Edited by Ins0mniac

i'm not surprised....America was bound to p*** someone off being the world police and all.

i just hope Australia doesn't get involved and if our government is thinking about it then they should ask the public first if we should go to war to help america if the situation ever erose.

i'm not surprised....America was bound to p*** someone off being the world police and all.

i just hope Australia doesn't get involved and if our government is thinking about it then they should ask the public first if we should go to war to help america if the situation ever erose.

Do not worry, Mate! To nuke Australia is a very expensive and inefficient exercise. Missiles cost a fortune, while the gain is miserable - Australia possesses the same type Territory factor as China, Canada, Russia and USA, but lacks their population size. In fact it is Australia which must now think of developing its own nuclear weapons - because (hahaha) if North Korea really takes off the US, then Australia would stay completely unprotected, and a country of such size and wealth cannot simply rely on a few Collins subs to deter a potential invasion.