Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Fiction Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    littlelucky

littlelucky

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hey everyone!

I found a used book store on a recent trip and snagged a copy of "Girlfriend in a Coma" by Douglas Coupland.  It begins in the late 70s, and centers around a group of friends, one who has a precognition of a major disaster.  It's an easy and entertaining read.  What've you read, that you'd recommend?

Compassion and altruism are the roots of true happiness.

#2    Orkid

Orkid

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

I just read the wrong man from john katzenbach... good.. but I wanted something more... scary... heart stopping!!! ^_^

what do you recomend me?

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,032 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

View PostOrkid, on 28 October 2010 - 05:04 PM, said:

I just read the wrong man from john katzenbach... good.. but I wanted something more... scary... heart stopping!!! ^_^

what do you recomend me?

Anything by HP Lovecraft...
IMO he makes Stephen King's stories read like "Rebecca of Sunnybrooke Farm"...

#4    littlelucky

littlelucky

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

I love the victorian ghost stories of M. R. James -- if you can get past the flowery language, some of his stories are quite horrifying!  

HP Lovecraft is rather frightening too, Taun -- I'll have to take him down from the shelf this weekend.  I'll check out "The Wrong Man" too!

Speaking of Stephen King, his son is a writer as well -- he wrote a book called "Heart Shaped Box" which was about a man who bought a haunted suit on Ebay, as well as a collection of short stories called "Twentieth Century Ghosts."  Some of them are a bit too gory for me -- I always appreciate something spooky over a story of human beings that are awful to each other.

Edited to add: the author of Heart Shaped Box & Twentieth Century Ghosts goes by the name of Joe Hill.

Edited by littlelucky, 29 October 2010 - 08:03 PM.

Compassion and altruism are the roots of true happiness.

#5    A7X Vampyre 6661

A7X Vampyre 6661

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

• And when I can, I'm gonna build a castle that touches the clouds, NOT to get closer to God, but to get further from ya'll.

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

I probably should have made my last post from a different thread on this thread. haha. I too am looking for good horror fiction.  I would recommend Beneath Still Waters By: Ray Garton and Isolation By: Travis Thrasher. :)

We held hands on the last night on earth.  Our mouths filled with dust, we kissed in the fields and under trees, screaming like dogs, bleeding dark into the leaves.  It was empty on the edge of town but we knew everyone floated along the bottom of the river.  So we walked through the waste where the road curved into the sea and the shattered seasons lay, and the bitter smell of burning was on you like a disease.  In our cancer of passion you said,

"Death is a midnight runner."

#6    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,663 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

A very good author I've recently discovered is Walter John Williams.  I'm currently reading his novel titled Aristoi, but can't review it yet as I'm not even on page 200 yet.  However I did read a 1981 novel of his entitled Voice of the Whirlwind.  The plot synopsis on wikipedia is;

Etienne Steward is a clone, also known as a beta. When he awakes, his memories are fifteen years old, because the original Steward -- the alpha -- never bothered to have a brain-scan update.

In those fifteen years, the entire world has changed. An alien race known as The Powers has established relations with humanity. The Orbital Policorp which held his allegiance has collapsed. He fought and survived the off-world Artifacts War, but dozens of his friends did not. Both his first and second wives have divorced him.

More importantly, someone has murdered him, causing the activation of the beta back-up. Now Steward has to figure out who wanted him dead, if he doesn't want to die again.

I highly recomend this book.

#7    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

For a light paranormal read, I can get into some Dresden books from Jim Butcher...

#8    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Personally Haunted by Gracie Hatchet is my personal favorite!

#9    Orkid

Orkid

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

View PostA7X Vampyre 6661, on 04 November 2010 - 07:42 PM, said:

I probably should have made my last post from a different thread on this thread. haha. I too am looking for good horror fiction.  I would recommend Beneath Still Waters By: Ray Garton and Isolation By: Travis Thrasher. :)

Matthew J. Costello --- Would this be the author by any chance of Beneath still waters? I was looking to see the cover of the book and didnt find it under Mr. Ray Garton.. only M. Costello..

I am asking because I wanted to double check..thanks!

#10    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Some of my favorite fiction is by Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman.
The book they wrote together, Good Omens is one of my favorites period.

I've always enjoyed Clive Cussler's books as well.

Jim Butcher's another one I enjoy, combing pulp detective stories and magic.

THen of course there's the classics. Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlocke Holmes for the win!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#11    SolarPlexus

SolarPlexus

Warrior of Light

• 3,428 posts

• .....This moment contains all moments.....

...You dont have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.....

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

Fiction? Jules Verne :)

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Galileo Galilei
Posted Image
"Who never walks save where he sees men's tracks makes no discoveries."J.G. Holland

#12    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,259 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 09 November 2010 - 07:39 PM, said:

Some of my favorite fiction is by Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman.
The book they wrote together, Good Omens is one of my favorites period.

Best book EVER!

I picked up author Gregory Lamberson last year. I've read 3 of his books Johnny Gruesome & from  the occult detective horror series The Jake Helman Files (Persona Demons & Desperate Souls)

iheartsugarbear

#13    Dr Strange

Dr Strange

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

Recently, I read 'Interview with the Vampire' by Anne Rice and 'Pandaemonium' by Christopher Brookmyre, both great reads but Anne Rice does go on and on sometimes.
Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' I really really enjoyed.
Also, my all time favourite book ever: Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend'.

Posted Image

#14    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,742 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

one of the coolest books i've read in a while is clive barker's weaveworld. it's an old story, but well written and engaging.
i have over two thousand books in my library, topics ranging from gardening to life after death, and everything in between.
right now i'm into biographies - i'm thinking of tackling the queen's bio next, although it's like a million pages long!
edit to add:
anything by ray bradbury gets my vote too!

Edited by JGirl, 18 February 2011 - 04:19 PM.

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#15    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:42 AM

A Year and a Day. I forgot the name of the author but it is about two angels whom are sent to earth, Veangeance and Joy, and they fall in love. A good story and fun to read.

Robbie James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users