Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

R.I.P. MID

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#61    beale947

beale947

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

• There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

RIP MID :( You were a beacon of rationality and a damn good person and debater. You will be sorely missed :(

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

#62    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,175 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

When you join a forum like this you don't realize in the beginning you are joining a family of sorts.  RIP MID.

I just love his words of wisdom under his avatar.

.The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

#63    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 35,169 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

POPULAR

Thanks for the pointer in the Moon Thread Lilly.

Such a shock to the system. I, like The Source, just thought MID would always be here.
And, like so many here, I too learned much from MID. A great man, a man with not only a wealth of experience, but the kindness and good nature to share those experiences, and the knowledge he picked up along the way. I have many fond memories that I enjoyed sharing with my family this week when I told them of the sad news. Not only the great conversations, the debates, the wealth of information, the laughs, the sighs. I will never, ever forget him telling me of white knuckle moments in mission control, consuming far too much coffee and smoking way too many cigarrettes as they took men to the moon and back. How he was there for the Shuttle launches. The company he kept, as close as one can get to being there I always felt, and I will remain in his debt forever for enriching my life as he did. MID was the sort of man that could help a person restore one's faith in humanity on even the darkest of days. To me, NASA will always be merely a dream. MID took me as close to it as I imagine I ever could be.
Damn, I am going to miss him. I never met im in person, and I wish I could be there to see him off. It is amazing that someone who's face one never see's can still have such an impact on one's life. I guess the special people on this planet tend to leave a mark like that, and MID was up there with the best of them. I know as long as I remain alive, MID will remain alive in my memory, on the other side of the world from where he resided. That MID found, and spent so much time at UM was indeed all our good fortune.

Posted Image

RIP and Godspeed MID. Thank you for everything.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#64    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,910 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

POPULAR

I have spoken to MID's wife (via telephone) the funeral is tomorrow (Saturday). Perhaps we could all set aside a moment in our day to pay our final respect to our friend.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#65    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostLilly, on 18 January 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

I have spoken to MID's wife (via telephone) the funeral is tomorrow (Saturday). Perhaps we could all set aside a moment in our day to pay our final respect to our friend.

Nicely put and a nice gesture .. .. I didn't know you were a close friend of his too, I hope you are feeling ok Lilly..My heart goes out to all of you who were close to MID  I truly find this thread to be one of the most touching I have read in a while ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 18 January 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#66    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,625 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

We will make it so ! I too have talked to his wife and she`s been so supportive of us here at U/M and is going to give me a brief history and accomplishments of Mike.Look to the Moon when your needing a pick up and reminder of our great Men and women from NASA.

This is a Work in Progress!

#67    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Rest In Peace MID, and thanks to him for all that he shared with us.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#68    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,803 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Aawww...RIP, MID.  My thoughs are with his family and friends

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#69    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Thank you Lilly, I hope she's holding up okay.

#70    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 18 January 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

We will make it so ! I too have talked to his wife and she`s been so supportive of us here at U/M and is going to give me a brief history and accomplishments of Mike.Look to the Moon when your needing a pick up and reminder of our great Men and women from NASA.

Please do so, I would definitely like to know more about him.  I'm still kinda stunned, this just blindsided me today.  I haven't been here as long as many others but really liked his posts and his solid thinking, and was fortunate enough to interact directly with him a few times; he really added a lot to the camaraderie here.  It's definitely very sad, but I'm also very grateful to have made his acquaintance and, ha, see him in action doing one of the many things he excelled at when reading his debates.  And on a more personal level, to me it's a testament to him and his personality that I'm affected by the passing of someone who I've never met and know very little about, it just thoroughly demonstrates to me what a cool guy he was.  Fly on MID!!

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#71    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 12,128 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

Lilly and Big D., please allow me to express my gratitude, as have others, for keeping us up to date. I like the idea of taking a moment for MID, would either of you happen to know when exactly his funeral is?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#72    BazBear

BazBear

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

I originally posted this in the "Did we land on the Moon" thread, but I'll repeat it here:

Hello all. I wasn't even aware of this forum, or MID, until I read a post about MID's passing over at the ApolloHoax forum. I've read a good portion of his posts in this thread, and can see this forum has lost a very valuable and knowledgable member. My condolences to all of you who considered him a friend.

#73    turbonium

turbonium

Government Agent

• 4,344 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

POPULAR

Dear MID -

So long we were adversaries, through our countless posts back and forth....and yet, now I'm lost for words.

I always looked forward to the talks we had over the years.

Peace to you, always

#74    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,097 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

I didn't personally know MID in the forums but all I've read here has me thinking of him as a man of strong character who had great faith in our capacity to reach to the stars and beyond.  So I offer this tribute from the opening theme of Star Trek Enterprise, for a man with "faith of the heart".

Edited by libstaK, 19 January 2013 - 10:27 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#75    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,760 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for posting that, libstak.

I took the time to reflect today, thinking back on our friend,...

Still cant believe it.

Edited by Hazzard, 19 January 2013 - 03:18 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users