Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

"World Events" board split

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,863 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

Recently we've been seeing a large amount of activity in the World Events and Current Affairs board to the point where it was becoming swamped with threads pertaining to recent events in the Middle-East and making it difficult for people to find and keep track of discussions about anything else, to remedy this we've decided to expand our world news coverage by dividing it up in to four regional sections.

The category formally known as News and Media is now News, Politics and Current Affairs.

The new organisation for world news and political topics is now as follows:

- United States and the Americas
----- (Sub) US Politics

- UK and Europe

- Middle-East

- Other World News

The World Politics board has been discontinued and its topics merged with the relevant regional forums.

An additional advantage to this layout is that members interested in news and politics pertaining to their own country can skip the other topics, it should also facilitate some expansion of the areas of world news that we cover here on the UM forums.

As we have several tens of thousands of threads on world news topics it will take a while for these to all be sorted in to the correct regional forums, in the meantime the unsorted threads can be found in Other World News.

#2    ships-cat

ships-cat

Alien Abducter

• 5,121 posts

• ..it's all too confusing for the working Cat to understand.... :(

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

View PostSaru, on 10 June 2010 - 01:01 PM, said:

....... we've decided to expand our world news coverage by dividing it up in to four regional sections.

<looks up, with a half-eaten sandwich (tuna) in his paw... >

What ... NOW ?

<crunchrip>

AAAAARGH ... the ground is splitting beneath my feet.

<jumps onto the UK and Europe section as it splits away>

Oh bugger.... I've left my lunch box in the Middle East ....

Meow Purr :(

A cat stretches from one end of my childhood to the other.

#3    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

❝ ♔ Beauty

• 8,240 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

Great. <3 This should make things easier. ^_^

Av by unicorns @ lacedskulls.

#4    Pseudo Intellectual

Pseudo Intellectual

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I don't like it. There are way too many forums now. Simply creating a sub-forum for Middle Eastern news/politics would've fixed the problem. :unsure2:

But I'll get used to it. <_<

Edited by Pseudo Intellectual, 10 June 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,244 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

View PostPseudo Intellectual, on 10 June 2010 - 02:50 PM, said:

I don't like it. There are way too many forums now. Simply creating a sub-forum for Middle Eastern news/politics would've fixed the problem. :unsure2:

Until the next big news story from another region dominates the news forum and then what? Another sub-forum to solve that problem.

This is a far more forward looking solution. It will also make looking for specific topics easier. Apart from some people's innate resistance to change I see nothing but positives in this improvement.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    Pseudo Intellectual

Pseudo Intellectual

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

The farsightedness makes sense, but what are the odds of the first few pages of the old World Events forum being dominated by 30 threads about, say, the UK? The Israel thing was new, at least to me.

I don't know, I've only been here for a year and a half. I guess I'm just grumpy about having to read 3 forums and one sub-forum instead of 1 forum and 2 sub-forums.

Don't worry, I'll get used to it.

#7    Ryinrea

Ryinrea

Princess of Yang

• 2,589 posts

• "Clark, you can't save the world. All you'll end up with is a messiah complex and a lot of enemies." -Lex Luthor Smallville

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Bows thank you this is very helpful to me since I am an avid poster in the political section.  :wub:

“In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.” - Thomas Jefferson

#8    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

View PostPseudo Intellectual, on 10 June 2010 - 02:50 PM, said:

But I'll get used to it. <_<

i was going to post pretty much what pseudo has said.

an extra sub forum (middle east) would, in my opinion, be more than sufficient enough. now, for those who primarily use that part (now parts) of the forum, it has become a bit of a mission to navigate and keep updated.

i know it won't matter, but as i'm guessing this thread is for feedback, both positive and negative, i have to say that i really don't like it much at all. i think it'll change the whole dynamic of posting in that part of the forum.

#9    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,547 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

This is a good solution to a difficult problem, especially with a couple of big issues coming up in the near future both in the Middle East, and in Europe.

#10    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,863 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

I'd like to de-emphasise that this change is solely for the purpose of organising the current Middle-East threads, the World Events board has been in need of this change for some time. When you have 350,000 posts packed in to a single forum section it makes it difficult for visitors to find the topics that interest them, concerns have been expressed before that those looking for news from one part of the world have to wade through hundreds of topics about another that they have no interest in. This is more about re-organising and expanding our news coverage than it is about simply solving the immediate issue, creating only a Middle-East subforum might have helped for the moment but it isn't a long term solution and the other problems would have still remained.

With the changes we've implemented here now if you are looking for US news you can go to the US section, if you're looking to keep up with what's happening in Europe you can go to the UK/Europe section and so on - its far more convenient than having to wade through hundreds of topics to find the ones that cover what you are interested in.

#11    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

yeah fair enough saru. after reading your post i can see that there are far more benefits with the new layout. i guess i've just spent so much time in that section that the change took me a little by surprise.

thanks.

#12    Pseudo Intellectual

Pseudo Intellectual

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:55 AM

I see now. It makes sense. I've already got used to it. :tu:

#13    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

Thank you!!!  :tu:

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) – Astrophysicist

#14    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,539 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally find it a bit confusing. If you're not sure whether a story might come under "US", "Europe", "Rest of World", or indeed, "Conspiracies and Secret Societies", it sometimes takes a bit of rummaging about to find a particular thread. And besides, a lot of stories concern several different countries. Where would the words of, say, an American politician about Israel go?

** For instance, I was trying to find a story about the alleged North Korean torpedoing of an S. Korean ship. I found it eventually under "US Politics".  :unsure2:

Edited by 747400, 11 June 2010 - 03:28 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#15    J.B.

J.B.

Alien Abducter

• 5,427 posts

• Deadpan snarker in your midst: Jokers beware. I eat jokes for fun and spit out seriousness just because that's how I roll. :P

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

In the U.S. Politics forum since it's a U.S. Politician's words. I rather favor the new change. I used to see U.S. subjects in the World events current affairs forum that I thought belonged in the U.S. section, but I knew they'd qualify for current events so they were allowed to sit where they were.

Good job on the new system, just took me a bit to get used to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users