Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Earth struck by big asteroids 'all the time'

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,820 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Space is big, even in the solar system it is almost all empty; it is not like billiards; these collisions happen very rarely.

#17    cyclopes500

cyclopes500

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Asteroids don't bother me. Its comets I'm more worried about. Not only are they unpredictable, they moving a hell of a lot faster and can hit asteroids as well as the arth. Nobody expected Hale Bopp for example. Copied from Wikipedia. The estimated probability of impacting Earth in future passages through the inner Solar System is remote, about 2.5 x 10−9 per orbit.[33] However, given that the comet nucleus is around 60 km in diameter,[1] the consequences of such an impact would be apocalyptic. A calculation given by Weissman[33] conservatively estimates the diameter at 35 km; an estimated density of 0.6 g/cm3 then gives a cometary mass of 1.3 x 1019 g. An impact velocity of 52.5 km/s yields an impact energy of 1.9 x 1032 ergs, or 4.4 x 109 megatons, about 44 times the estimated energy of the K-T impact event. End of Wikipedia. End of Planet Earth even if it misses us and hits the moon.

#18    The Black Ghost

The Black Ghost

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

I would say that since most of what they are classifying as "asteroids" explode in the atmosphere, the risk of damage to us on the ground is minimal.

#19    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

I had no idea they were that frequent. Even if most of these explosions are occuring high in the atmosphere it's still pretty astonishing that there are explosions a couple of times a year of that size and people don't see more of them. I guess the odds are in our favor because of the fact that people only inhabit a small fraction of the planet but still...

#20    David Thomson

David Thomson

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

Asteroids of this size were not frequent until the solar system entered an Interstellar dust cloud in 2002. NASA seems to be hiding this fact for some reason. Instead of telling it as it is, they are inventing history by saying this has been happening all along but we haven't noticed. If these kinds of events have been happening all along, they would have been noticed a long time ago. We have been monitoring gamma ray bursts, have satellites in space monitoring the atmosphere, had space stations observing Earth, and have airplanes all over the planet in the air all the time. And now they only have data for impacts since 2001? They are pulling the wool over our eyes to hide the truth from everyone. Large asteroids in large quantities are here to stay for a few hundred years.

#21    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

You can watch the visualisation now here...

https://b612foundation.org

Maybe future Sentinels might even destroy or repel the most dangerous asteroids.

#22    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 4,021 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostDavid Thomson, on 22 April 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

Asteroids of this size were not frequent until the solar system entered an Interstellar dust cloud in 2002.
NASA seems to be hiding this fact for some reason.
Are you talking about the LIC (Lokal Interstellar Cloud) here? If not, can you pls provide a reliable source
that will back your claim? No NewAge/shaman/hippie sources please.

Edited by toast, 23 April 2014 - 11:13 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#23    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostDavid Thomson, on 22 April 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

Asteroids of this size were not frequent until the solar system entered an Interstellar dust cloud in 2002. NASA seems to be hiding this fact for some reason. Instead of telling it as it is, they are inventing history by saying this has been happening all along but we haven't noticed. If these kinds of events have been happening all along, they would have been noticed a long time ago. We have been monitoring gamma ray bursts, have satellites in space monitoring the atmosphere, had space stations observing Earth, and have airplanes all over the planet in the air all the time. And now they only have data for impacts since 2001? They are pulling the wool over our eyes to hide the truth from everyone. Large asteroids in large quantities are here to stay for a few hundred years.
I'm no expert but I try to stay current on astronomy. This is the first I've heard about an increase in asteroids. I would think NASA would be shouting this as loud as they could to get funding to beef up their observation programs. I would also like to see some sources for this revelation please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users