Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Global warming 田an be reversed"

global warming reverse gas wells carbon dioxide underground

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#46    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,142 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 15 July 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

China and India have very vigorous programs of alternatives development, much more so than the US and Europe.
Br Cornelius
Let's hope it pays off.

In 2013, China produced 70% of its energy from coal, emitted more carbon dioxide than the next two largest countries combined (U.S.A. and India) and emissions had been increasing by 10% a year.
Chinese energy experts are estimating that by 2050 the percentage of China's energy requirements that are satisfied by coal-fired plants will have declined to 30-50% of total energy consumption and that the remaining 50-70% will be provided by a combination of oil, natural gas, hydropower, nuclear power, biomass and other renewable energy sources.
Source

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#47    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

I certainly don't agree with coal fired power stations. The stupid South African government have just bought a few more.

#48    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,142 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

I used to retort that the "Green" movement hippies, after their daylong protests against nuclear power, would all go home, wash their long hair in hot water, and blow it dry with 1500 Watt screaming blow dryers.

These days, I'm hopeful that "green" will soon mean nuclear.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#49    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostHarte, on 18 July 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

I used to retort that the "Green" movement hippies, after their daylong protests against nuclear power, would all go home, wash their long hair in hot water, and blow it dry with 1500 Watt screaming blow dryers.

These days, I'm hopeful that "green" will soon mean nuclear.

Harte
Until they work out how to storte the waste - and the peak plutonium issues, I wouldn't count on that.

Fukishima was a statistical inevitability the literal fallout of which the world will have to deal with for thousands of years. That disaster hasn't played out yet and could get massively worse at any moment (for basic mechanical reasons that the containment pools could collapse at any moment). Recent radiation readings have massively spiked around the plants so it is definitely ongoing.

If you build more nuclear power plants expects a Fukishima scale disaster at about 10 year intervals - because that is what the risk analysis says to expect. I personally don't think that risk is one we can live with.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 18 July 2013 - 08:41 AM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#50    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,483 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 18 July 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

If you build more nuclear power plants expects a Fukishima scale disaster at about 10 year intervals - because that is what the risk analysis says to expect. I personally don't think that risk is one we can live with.
I don't think we have to.  Wind technology can do it now.  All we need is to conversion strategy - and I think I know one that would work, at least in the US.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#51    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,622 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 18 July 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

I don't think we have to.  Wind technology can do it now.  All we need is to conversion strategy - and I think I know one that would work, at least in the US.
Doug

Seeing that the Germans have managed to get in these few years up to 25-29% of renewable energy consumption (and growing as we talk) I fail to see why we can't do it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#52    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,772 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 18 July 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Seeing that the Germans have managed to get in these few years up to 25-29% of renewable energy consumption (and growing as we talk) I fail to see why we can't do it.

Germany is turning back to coal, and Germany is not the only one, western countries are turning back towards the reliable and cheaper fossil fuels. world wide fossil fuels being used went up 6%. and for coal alone, coal energy used world wide accounts for just over 30%.

the Green movement can never be taken serious when it comes to the serious business of running a country and their economies. they'd have us bankrupt and sitting in the dark. whats the point in reducing emissions which includes all green house gases by 0.0001% of the total atmosphere. as a percentage. -

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#53    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,622 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 18 July 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

Germany is turning back to coal, and Germany is not the only one, western countries are turning back towards the reliable and cheaper fossil fuels. world wide fossil fuels being used went up 6%. and for coal alone, coal energy used world wide accounts for just over 30%.

the Green movement can never be taken serious when it comes to the serious business of running a country and their economies. they'd have us bankrupt and sitting in the dark. whats the point in reducing emissions which includes all green house gases by 0.0001% of the total atmosphere. as a percentage. -

Germany never turned away from coal. And their consumption has remained pretty stable:

Posted Image

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#54    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,319 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 18 July 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

As you stated yourself, germanies coal use is the same.  So if they're producing more renewable energy. That means that they need more power or they cut someplace else.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#55    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,319 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

We have had globial warming for the last ten thousand years.  Humans have been pumping co2 from factories for about two hundred years.  We have been keeping track of the climate for around fifty years.  I don't about the doom and gloom crowd, but I don't think we have been keeping track of the climate long enough.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#56    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

View Postdanielost, on 19 July 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

We have had globial warming for the last ten thousand years.  Humans have been pumping co2 from factories for about two hundred years.  We have been keeping track of the climate for around fifty years.  I don't about the doom and gloom crowd, but I don't think we have been keeping track of the climate long enough.
Temps were in a steady slow decline with up and downs over the last 8 thousand years or so (after a spike after the last ice age), the last two hundred years are in sharp contrast to this gradual decline and show temperatures rising faster than they have over that whole post glacial period.

The climate changes argument just doesn't account for what has happened in the anthropogenic period.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#57    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,319 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

Just that we are at the peak of the warming trend.  It was one of the charts used to prove man did it two years ago

#58    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,386 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

There is a problem; it may not be as severe as some say it is, but it is a problem.  It would be nice if governments worked out how to deal with it and acted in a unified way.  That does not seem to be in the cards.

#59    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,054 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 18 July 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

I dont know how recent or accurate your data is Steve.

"Opponents of renewables in North America are pouncing on the news of a new coal plant in Germany, especially because German Environmental Minister Peter Altmaier cut the ribbon, so to speak. Altmaier said Germany will need the conventional fossil power plants for “decades to come,” though he did not say it was, as Fox Business put it, to “complement unreliable and intermittent renewable energies such as wind and solar power.” In fact, he stated that “fossil energy and renewables should not be played as cards against each other” and that we have to move beyond “making enemies of the two.”
It took six years to build the plant, meaning that the process started in 2006. It is by no means a reaction to the nuclear phaseout of 2011. And as Altmaier himself points out, the new plant can ramp up and down by 150 megawatts within five minutes and by 500 megawatts within 15, making it a flexible complement to intermittant renewables. In the area, 12 coal plants more than 40 years old have been decommissioned, and the new 2,200 megawatt plant is to directly replace 16 older 150 megawatts blocks by the end of this year, so 2,200 megawatts of new, more flexible, somewhat cleaner capacity (the new plant has an efficiency of 43 percent, whereas 35 percent would be considered ambitious for most old coal plants) is directly replacing 2,400 old megawatts.
Germany has a target of 35 percent renewable power by 2020, rising to 85 percent by 2050 – meaning that 65 percent of its power supply will be conventional in 2020, and the country will still have 15 percent conventional power by mid-century. Obviously, Germany needs to build some new conventional power plants to reach even that ambitious goal for renewables"

Source: http://climatecrocks...nts-in-germany/

This site links to all of its sources for data, so cannot be described as "Fringe".

#60    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,319 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Post27vet, on 17 July 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

I certainly don't agree with coal fired power stations. The stupid South African government have just bought a few more.

We have nothing to replace them.  So if you like cold milk, you'll have to put up with them or go back to the old ice boxes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users