Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Omaha Beach?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,064 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

When I was on vacation in northern France, we visited Omaha and one of the other landing sites.  I remember the remains of a Mulberry harbour and a WW2 tank (or anti-aircraft gun).  Can't say I experienced anything weird about it.

We also visited the American cemetery near Omaha.

Great thing about the beaches of France where we were (Brittany and Normandy) was the amount of WW2 German bunkers dotted along the coast that we found and explored.  There was still signs and text in German blackletter on them.  Fascinating to explore.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#17    Hugo Stiglitz

Hugo Stiglitz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• Man of The People

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

If they were ever a place for battlefield ghosts,it would have to be the dday beaches in normady,france.

"If you want to walk the Streets of Gold,you got to know the password, ROLL TIDE ROLL."
Paul "BEAR"Bryant

#18    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,064 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hugo Stiglitz, on 11 August 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

If they were ever a place for battlefield ghosts,it would have to be the dday beaches in normady,france.
As important and bloody an event it was, there are much more tragic and far deadlier examples from history.

About 20,000 soldiers (Allies and Germans) died during the landings and about 100,000 in the ensuing battle to secure Normandy for the Allies.

On the other hand, over one million soldiers died during the Battle of the Somme.  More British soldiers died on the first day of the Somme than the entire Allied forces killed during D-Day.

Not to belittle the Normandy landings of course.  It was an awesome military operation for a good cause and I loved visiting the site myself and visiting the local museums about it.  But much worse battles have happened in history in more tragic situations.

Don't people say that tragic deaths more likely lead to ghosts haunting the area?  Wouldn't a million men dying for meagre advances in an insane conflict that was for no good reason at all be far more likely to leave a heck of a lot more ghosts at the scene than thousands dying for a good cause?

Why should the Normandy landings stand out as being a prime candidate for haunting, more than any other military battles?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#19    RockShaman

RockShaman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

• If for no other reason, Space exists to fire our imaginations and act as a visible dream

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

You have a lot of good points, there, Jesse. I have been pondering over why one field over another might be more or less haunted - if at all - as I read through this. The truth is, I think it depends a lot on the beholder and the attachment they have to a given location. Perhaps attachment - ancestors involved in an event -, or study or interest enhances attunement, and they are more able to connect with one place as a whole, over another. Maybe that is it. Dunno *goes back to eating another piece of leftover pizza*

"Reality does not care one iota what we believe, it just is what it is."   - Waspie Dwarf

#20    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

has a cape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

the thing about ghosts and battlefields... is that there have been a lot of battlefields over the centuries. if ghosts are attached to traumatic events like battles, well, we could go beyond just the somme. if you factor in the just two world wars, shouldn't large sections of continental europe be overrun with ghosts? especially if you consider the bombing of so many cities.

we attach ghost stories to "significant" and landmark events. not every battle, or even every war is seen as a landmark to many people. normandy, however, is an event that is very significant to a large number of people, so it's more likely to have ghost stories told about it. that's my take, at least.

also, i just looked back. this thread is a ghost! it's haunting us from the distant land of 2005! sheesh.

#21    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,241 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hugo Stiglitz, on 11 August 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

You would not have said that if this was in Sri Lanka or wherever

#22    RockShaman

RockShaman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

• If for no other reason, Space exists to fire our imaginations and act as a visible dream

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

patagonianhorsesnake, on 12 August 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

we attach ghost stories to "significant" and landmark events. not every battle, or even every war is seen as a landmark to many people. normandy, however, is an event that is very significant to a large number of people, so it's more likely to have ghost stories told about it. that's my take, at least.

also, i just looked back. this thread is a ghost! it's haunting us from the distant land of 2005! sheesh.

Too funny :). But, it is interesting, nevertheless. I just had a day to see some of  this area of the world, so I find comments about it interesting. I do live near Civil War fields, though, so probably should go to one of those at least and pay my respects.

"Reality does not care one iota what we believe, it just is what it is."   - Waspie Dwarf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users