Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schiff: The Real State of the Union 2013

Yamato

The POTUS seems to be trying to help the middle class, but I think his policies are destroying the middle class.

• Like 1

The POTUS seems to be trying to help the middle class, but I think his policies are destroying the middle class.

Odrama... he's good eh?

Odrama... he's good eh?

Yeah, he's one of the best liars I've ever heard about. Remember when he said something like if he didn't cut the deficit in half, he'd be a one-term president?

I could add some other lies he's told, but what's the point? I'd either be preaching to the choir or stir up the Kool Aid crowd.

:whistle:

eta: In my previous post, I meant more like, "he's pretending to want the help the middle class"....either that or he's really dumb, and I don't think he's that dumb...

Edited by Gummug
  • Like 3

Yeah, he's one of the best liars I've ever heard about. Remember when he said something like if he didn't cut the deficit in half, he'd be a one-term president?

I could add some other lies he's told, but what's the point? I'd either be preaching to the choir or stir up the Kool Aid crowd.

:whistle:

eta: In my previous post, I meant more like, "he's pretending to want the help the middle class"....either that or he's really dumb, and I don't think he's that dumb...

George W. Bush promised to cut the deficit in half too...exactly like Obama, and exactly like Obama, he failed. That's just campaign rhetoric. Obama forgot he even said it the day after he said it. Like cutting the deficit in half is even remotely sufficient of a return to fiscal responsibility, still, it'd be like moving heaven and earth for these bipartisan politiicans. Politically it's a lot easier to cut something in half after doubling it, but politically, even that's asking too much.

Only in Washington DC can a trillion dollars less in proposed spending increases be regarded as a "cut". I also actually believed the sequester would kick in in January. Sometimes it's even worse than I think it is, and that's pretty bad.

It appears more and more likely to me that in the end we're going to stiff our major creditors and thereby might avoid a sudden catastrophic loss in the value of our currency. But the gravy train still has to end at some point.

• Like 1

I wish they would **** and the Senate Sergeant of Arms would arrest the lot for treason

• Like 1

I wish they would **** and the Senate Sergeant of Arms would arrest the lot for treason

I wish we'd have had impeachment hearings for 10 of our last 20 Presidents. Amazing what they get away with today when their predecessors established greater and greater precedents of malfeasance. If Obama has an agenda he can pretty much do what he wants out there. It's probably just me but it seems like people don't engage in critical thinking anymore. It's either Obama's way or whatever thing Obama's trying to do ain't gonna happen because the will of our leader is some kind of divine providence and it's the only way. I just hope that the earth doesn't wobble out of orbit and crash into the Sun when Obama's not looking.

• Like 3

I'm afraid we may have what Germany had prior to WWII...runaway inflation, where money becomes essentially worthless. I'm 62 and I hope I'm not alive when and if that happens (I suspect it's more when and not so much if....although an alternate scenario is the government replaces our green currency with a different, pink- or red-colored currency, worth like a tenth as much...instantly cutting everyone's cash wealth by 90%), but I suspect I probably could be.

• Like 2

I'm afraid we may have what Germany had prior to WWII...runaway inflation, where money becomes essentially worthless. I'm 62 and I hope I'm not alive when and if that happens (I suspect it's more when and not so much if....although an alternate scenario is the government replaces our green currency with a different, pink- or red-colored currency, worth like a tenth as much...instantly cutting everyone's cash wealth by 90%), but I suspect I probably could be.

There is always a small but non-zero chance of this sort of thing. The thing to do is only have a small part of your assets in cash and cash-equivalents -- something you should do anyway.

Own your own home, and remember that if a super-inflation happens it will pay off your debts (unless some legislation is passed to avoid this). Have a little in gold or gold equivalents, some in land, of course equities in the type of company that deals with hard assets or has lots of property. Avoid cash rich companies and of course banks.

I would think though that you do not want to make all or even a large part of your decisions based on this scenario. Remember it is possible but not likely.

• Like 1

George W. Bush promised to cut the deficit in half too...exactly like Obama, and exactly like Obama, he failed. That's just campaign rhetoric. Obama forgot he even said it the day after he said it.

And then the bottom fell out with the 2008 recession and increased deficits were required to help stabilize the economy.

If Obama has an agenda he can pretty much do what he wants out there. It's probably just me but it seems like people don't engage in critical thinking anymore. It's either Obama's way or whatever thing Obama's trying to do ain't gonna happen because the will of our leader is some kind of divine providence and it's the only way.

It is just you. Congress has been unable to pass just about any legislation due to Republicans using the UNPRECEDENTED use of filibuster or threat of filibuster to stop nearly everything in the senate, thus creating a "do nothing" congress. I'm not sure how you think Obama is doing anything he wants.

I'm afraid we may have what Germany had prior to WWII...runaway inflation,

based on what evidence? we are so far from runaway inflation it's not even worth discussing.

InflationNov2012.jpg

And then the bottom fell out with the 2008 recession and increased deficits were required to help stabilize the economy.

So you were told and you believe what liars and politicians tell you. We've been through depressions and recessions galore in our history and we sprang back from all of them with fiscal responsibility and an intact currency. Suddenly we're in Keynesian Wonderland and the politicians have duped half of our people into new nonsensical rules that flip logic upside down on its head destroying the common sense of our markets and real value of our money. Loser corporations should be taken to the graveyard and put out of their pathetic misery, not propped up in the fascist Corporatocracy you can't seem to get enough of.

• Like 5

It is just you. Congress has been unable to pass just about any legislation due to Republicans using the UNPRECEDENTED use of filibuster or threat of filibuster to stop nearly everything in the senate, thus creating a "do nothing" congress. I'm not sure how you think Obama is doing anything he wants.

Congress is doing a trillion dollars more per year than they can afford. That's enough "nothing" for me thanks. It's not enough for liberals who don't know the value of a dollar when all they want to do is spend more of someone else's.

• Like 3

based on what evidence? we are so far from runaway inflation it's not even worth discussing.

InflationNov2012.jpg

For anyone who has been to the grocery store lately, or to the pumps, that graph looks awfully suspicious.

• Like 5

For anyone who has been to the grocery store lately, or to the pumps, that graph looks awfully suspicious.

There is nothing suspicious about it at all... it shows exactly the rate of inflation corresponding to the debt ratio. It demonstrates a no-win for the majority.

• Like 3

I dream't last night that the Republicans took control of the Senate and the first thing they did was pass a gay marriage bill.

So you were told and you believe what liars and politicians tell you.

No, I believe government needed a deficit during a recession.

We've been through depressions and recessions galore in our history and we sprang back from all of them with fiscal responsibility and an intact currency.

actually they were very unsettling, disruptive and bad times in our history. And with economies that were nothing like what we have now.

Loser corporations should be taken to the graveyard and put out of their pathetic misery, not propped up

I agree with that to a point. Too big to fail. The result of GM going away would have been disastrous. Should we have too big to fail? no. I think not. If it's too big to fail then it should be broken up. That's a real failure of those government bureaucrats you hate so much.

Congress is doing a trillion dollars more per year than they can afford.

almost all of which was passed in the last Congress/Administration. The Bush era tax cuts, Medicare Part D, the Iraq/Afghan wars, TARP

Edited by ninjadude

actually they were very unsettling, disruptive and bad times in our history. And with economies that were nothing like what we have now.

Many would disagree about the unsettling thing. But I suppose you dont drive by many soup kitchens in your area.

The result of GM going away would have been disastrous

They did a good job with the bailoput they got. But that doesnt mean all examples of bailouts especially the banks turned out the same. Also there is no evidence it would have been disastrous for them to claim bancruptcy.

CPI is a hoax that some people actually believe.

It's the same measure we have been using. In order to compare historical trends, you have to use the same base numbers.

There is nothing suspicious about it at all... it shows exactly the rate of inflation corresponding to the debt ratio. It demonstrates a no-win for the majority.

2% 3% these are not hyperinflationary numbers

I dream't last night that the Republicans took control of the Senate and the first thing they did was pass a gay marriage bill.

You took a bit too much Ambien :)

You took a bit too much Ambien :)

I lol'd :tu:

Many would disagree about the unsettling thing. But I suppose you dont drive by many soup kitchens in your area.

Sorry but historical panics were much worse. And there were no safety nets.

http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/wicker.banking.panics.us

http://history.howstuffworks.com/historical-events/5-financial-panics.htm

They did a good job with the bailoput they got. But that doesnt mean all examples of bailouts especially the banks turned out the same. Also there is no evidence it would have been disastrous for them to claim bancruptcy.

The banks? It's possible they should have failed. The problem that everyone feared was a banking panic. As listed in the links above. These were not fun times.