Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Schiff: The Real State of the Union 2013

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#31    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,430 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

View Postninjadude, on 17 February 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

almost all of which was passed in the last Congress/Administration. The Bush era tax cuts, Medicare Part D, the Iraq/Afghan wars, TARP
So basically, everything that's going wrong today is still Bush's fault.
Damnit, I'm a Liberal and I'm agreeing with the Republicans here.

#32    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

People have an exaggerated notion of what a president can do, and this leads to people blaming him or her for everything that goes wrong.  There are always plenty of others around willing to claim credit for things that go well, but when they go wrong the buck stops at the president.

#33    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,671 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 February 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

People have an exaggerated notion of what a president can do, and this leads to people blaming him or her for everything that goes wrong.  There are always plenty of others around willing to claim credit for things that go well, but when they go wrong the buck stops at the president.
The Presidents have an exaggerated notion of what a President is supposed to be able to do.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#34    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,950 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostYamato, on 19 February 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

So?

You quoted the current Congress.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#35    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,950 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostYamato, on 19 February 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

The result of "GM going away" wouldn't have been all bad like it never is when companies go bankrupt,

you have no idea of what you are talking about. The shear depth that US businesses were/are linked to certain others - like GM.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#36    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,950 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 19 February 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

So basically, everything that's going wrong today is still Bush's fault.

yes it is. And it will continue for some time yet. The republicans screwed up the country so bad that it will take decades to undo.

You'll notice that originally I said the "Bush era". We note certain events by what president was there when many others were also responsible. I don't solely blame Bush.

Edited by ninjadude, 20 February 2013 - 04:45 AM.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#37    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,671 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

View Postninjadude, on 20 February 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

you have no idea of what you are talking about. The shear depth that US businesses were/are linked to certain others - like GM.
Spoken just like an oil lobbyist.  I don't believe in statist protectionism, sorry.   GM's time was up.   Their demise would serve as a lesson for others not to commit the same mistakes.  As the economy stands now, there is little to no responsibility, unknown accountability, and fiat consequences.

As much as bankruptcy doesn't mean "demise", even if we followed the rule of bankruptcy law in this country like we're supposed to, contracts would have been given to Ford and other automakers.  And what's wrong with that? What's wrong with rewarding success?   The market would have been ripe for a new startup with competitive advantages GM didn't have, without the $100+billion pension debt that drove GM under.  I had no idea that you believed in corporate Americana so greatly that you think they should be saved by the pockets of the innocent who had nothing to do with their failure. It's a new era of liberalism in this country.  Rewarding losers and punishing winners.   The economics of anti-common sense.

Your thinking is symptomatic of the Corporatocracy's mindset:  If GM ceases to exist, the entire economy is doomed!  Conversely, if the federal government doesn't do something, it won't get done any other way!   It's either big-business and big-government in bed together, or the sky will fall.   That's not even any good definition of liberal I've ever seen.   It's Fascism.

We've had scores of recessions in our country's history, and we never needed this nanny-Statism that our modern day Keynesians acting more like Fascists keep claiming we do.  This is the greediest most immoral generation in the history of America.  I'm ashamed of what we're putting up with.

Edited by Yamato, 20 February 2013 - 05:16 AM.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#38    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,671 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

View Postninjadude, on 20 February 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

You quoted the current Congress.
I did?   In what reply #?    It is meaningless whether these pathetic programs were started under George W. Bush or not.  Isn't that enough reason to join me in opposing them?   No, because it's okie dokie when Obama does it.

#39    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,671 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

View Postninjadude, on 20 February 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

yes it is. And it will continue for some time yet. The republicans screwed up the country so bad that it will take decades to undo.

You'll notice that originally I said the "Bush era". We note certain events by what president was there when many others were also responsible. I don't solely blame Bush.
Posted Image

#40    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,306 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

View Postninjadude, on 18 February 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

so show me where it's hyper-inflationary as the poster claimed.
If you're referring to me (I assume you are), I didn't exactly say we have hyper-inflation now. I said:

I'm afraid we may have what Germany had prior to WWII...runaway inflation, where money becomes essentially worthless. I'm 62 and I hope I'm not alive when and if that happens (I suspect it's more when and not so much if....although an alternate scenario is the government replaces our green currency with a different, pink- or red-colored currency, worth like a tenth as much...instantly cutting everyone's cash wealth by 90%), but I suspect I probably could be.
meaning that is one possible, and frightening, scenario. Even if we don't have that (let's hope we don't) I'm afraid we are in for a bumpy ride.

Posted Image

#41    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,272 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

View Postninjadude, on 20 February 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

Picking and choosing who gets bailed out has corruption oozing all over it... Get it yet?

Edited by acidhead, 20 February 2013 - 05:47 AM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#42    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 2,668 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostGummug, on 15 February 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

The POTUS seems to be trying to help the middle class, but I think his policies are destroying the middle class.

He's not trying to help the middle class.  All he's helping is himself.  What he is trying to do is to combine the middle and poor classes into a controlled implement for the benefit of the state.

"I don't see one link on this thread providing one shred of evidence for the disgusting jew-hate BS you Zionist liars keep accusing me of." - Yamato

#43    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

One group holds that the recipe needs more sugar, the other that it needs more salt.  They reach a compromise.  Then they go to the next ingredient and do the same thing.  Over and over.  One wonders what the dish will taste like.

#44    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 2,668 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostYamato, on 15 February 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

[media=]http://youtu.be/yYaMKd75aKI[/media]
You know Yam, we're not suppose to concern ourselves with such things.  Don't you know that Papa Bama has it all taken care of.  All we need to do is admire the Emperor's new closthes.

"I don't see one link on this thread providing one shred of evidence for the disgusting jew-hate BS you Zionist liars keep accusing me of." - Yamato

#45    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,671 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 February 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

One group holds that the recipe needs more sugar, the other that it needs more salt.  They reach a compromise.  Then they go to the next ingredient and do the same thing.  Over and over.  One wonders what the dish will taste like.
Sweet and salty. How else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users