Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cooking / Recipes

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

I've noticed that there are quite a few people talking about food on various threads - whether it's the best barbecue, or breadmaking tips, or whatever.

What's your favorite recipe?

Here's one that's very easy for what's been a very hot summer. I make the asparagus first thing in the morning while it's still cool outside and when dinnertime rolls around, I don't have to turn on the stove.

Salmon Roll-ups
1 pkg - sliced, smoked salmon
asparagus
Cream cheese with scallions & chives

Steam asparagus so that it's still firm then quickly put into ice-cold bath of water. Remove from ice-water and place in container that can be tightly sealed.  Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or prepared salad dressing of your choice) and seal container. Let asparagus marinate at least a few hours - best if overnight.

Lay the salmon flat and spread about 2" from end with about a tbl. of cream cheese. Cut the asparagus into 1" sections and place four pieces (or however many you prefer) on the creamcheese at the tip of the salmon. Simply fold over and roll up completely, pop into your mouth and ENJOY! I sometimes add or substitute cucumber for the asparagus.

Edited by archernyc, 03 August 2010 - 05:14 PM.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#2    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,363 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

Food does seem to be on everyones mind at the moment  :D

Here's a few previous threads for anyone interested -

http://www.unexplain...urite food&st=0

http://www.unexplain...ite recipe&st=0

http://www.unexplain...1

Posted Image

#3    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Okay here goes.

Recipie 1.

Basic sponge cake recipie as told to me by my Nan, who was told it by hers and so on and so fourth.

Thats the basic layout of it.

2 eggs, 2 Oz's sugar, 2 Oz's of butter and 4 Oz's of self raising flour.

To this you may add all manner of things, fruit, chocolate chips, brandy, vanilla, cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg, ground cardamon (my favourite).

Whisk butter and sugar, whisk in eggs and any essence you want, then fold (NOT WHISK!) in the rest, pour into greased and lined cake tin, cook for 50-70 mins at 150 (Fan Oven). Done.

Very simple, cheap and most of all adaptable, it does not make the best sponge in the world (that needs far more eggs) but its a great base for all manner of flavours ect.

Will add more later.

Recipie 2 - Rice with Fish

This is not really even a recipie... it just a combination of things in a bowl than you eat, its incredible cheap, very filling with low fat and low calories. I discovered it after an uncle suggested it as "cheap, fast diet food". Now its not for everyone but i find its very very tasty, far more so than the ingrediants would suggest.

Essentially its perfect student food....

What you will need.
Brown Whole-grain rice, enough for one bowl, any rice will do but whole grain is better for you, if you are REALLY ina rush then you can use micro-waveable rice, then it will be ready in 1 min 30 seconds.

1 tin of fish, any fish will do, i find sardines, pichards or mackerel in tomato sauce is best, stops the dish being to dry.

Capers, you can get them in salt, they last years in the cuboard and have tons of flavour for thier cost, you only need a few too!

Salt, and pepper to taste.

Instructions, cook rice, place rice in a bowl, add fish and capers, stir, eat.

Thats it... simple eh? you can add sweet-corn, chopped tommies, anything you like but in the end its still cheap, fast and filling its not huat-cuisine but it yummy any-ways.

Will update soon.. with home-made mushroom soup, pea and mint pasta and various cake recipies....

Enjoy!

EDIT - Update

Recipie 2 - Cream of Mushroom Soup - Serves 4

This is a recipie i pulled from a book years ago, i have tinkered with it and altered it to suit my tastes and i would recomend that people play with the herb and spices, i favour copious ammounts of cumin and fennel seed but the choice is up to you. This soup can be frozen and will keep for a goodly while, simply de-frost and re-heat. This is a good warming soup, and goes well with crusty bread either as a main meal or a starter. I consider it a staple recipie and hope you will too!

What you will need.

250 Grams of Mushrooms - any kind will do though i favour chesnut mushrooms as they have a pleasing colour and stronger flavour.
1 Large white onion - You can can add more if you wish though the mushrooms should always out-weigh the onions
3-4 cloves of garlic
3/4 pint of veggie/chicken stock
3/4 pint of semi-skinned milk
1 large table spoon of butter - More may be needed, depends on how low cal you want the end result
2 bay leaves
1 large tablespoon of white flour

Herb/Spice selection - I have found all of these herbs are good, i favour cumin, fennel and bay and leave out the basil, experiment and see what you like!
Basil
Fennel Seeds
Cumin Seeds
Black Pepper
Salt

How to make it.
De-stalk a few of the mushrooms and lay them aside (around 1/5th of your total) chop up the rest of the mushrooms and the onion and garlic, melt the butter in a heavy bottom saucepan abd add the mushrooms, onion, cumin and fennel and cook till soft, make sure they are well coated in the melted butter. After 5-6 mins of gentle cooking add the table-spoon of flour, stir well and cook for 2 mins, be careful! the flour-mixture will burn very easily and if it does you will need to start over.

Add the stock and milk, mix in well then add the remaining herbs, season with salt and pepper to taste. bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 15-20 mins till rich and foaming on top, taste frequently and add herbs ect as needed. Take the soup off the heat, remove bay-leaves (unles you like stringy stalk!) and blend till smooth, whilst this is happening take the mushroom caps you set aside at the start and slice them finely, fry them in a small ammount of butter till crispy, add these to the now smooth blended soup, pour into bowls, garnish with a dollop of cream (if your feeling indulgent) and serve with fresh bread.

Enjoy!

Edited by Wyrdlight, 03 August 2010 - 07:31 PM.

#4    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 03 August 2010 - 07:07 PM, said:

Food does seem to be on everyones mind at the moment  :D

Here's a few previous threads for anyone interested -

http://www.unexplain...urite food&st=0

http://www.unexplain...ite recipe&st=0

http://www.unexplain...1
Ooh, I like the "Foods I Want to Try" thread. My choice would be truffles.  I've had plenty of foods with truffle oil (in fact, I use it in my mac n cheese recipe) but never the real thing.  Truffle oil drizzled on popcorn is delish!

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#5    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

Thank you for this thread :) ...

It's National Watermelon Day!  :w00t:

Make a Vodka Watermelon : http://www.wikihow.c...odka-Watermelon

Posted Image

#6    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:42 PM

View PostSoulMan, on 03 August 2010 - 11:35 PM, said:

Thank you for this thread :) ...

It's National Watermelon Day!  :w00t:

Make a Vodka Watermelon : http://www.wikihow.c...odka-Watermelon
My pleasure! I saw your post about needing a thread like this. ^_^

When I was in college, we used to make spiked watermelon all the time! Yumm!  Now, I make Sangria:

One bottle of red wine (If you're really cheap, 2 buck chuck from Trader Joes, but I like Coppola Rosso)
1 cup of Cointreau or Grand Marnier
Orange Juice & 7-Up to taste (maybe 1/2c-1 c each? I just pour and then taste
cubed/sliced fruit of your choice: apples, grapes, pineapple, oranges, etc.
& the "secret" ingredient: cinnamon! Sprinkle heavily on top, then stir in.
YUMMMY! :yes:

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#7    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:21 AM

archernyc Thank you again :) .

---

Today i recommend to you :

A very easy italian salad for summer :

Ingredients

4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
fine sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1.On a large platter, alternate and overlap the tomato slices, mozzarella cheese slices, and basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with sea salt and pepper.

I make this salad when i come back from my job... is very good for you and for your wonderful family .  :tu:

Posted Image

#8    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:54 AM

View PostSoulMan, on 05 August 2010 - 12:21 AM, said:

archernyc Thank you again :) .

---

Today i recommend to you :

4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
fine sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
That's known as a Caprese salad.  I make this all the time as I grow my own basil.  I just got a recipe for mozzarella and want to try to make my own.  We have a big kitchen where I work, which is also near the Union Sq. greenmarket, so I'll often go to the greenmarket to buy heirloom tomatoes ($5 each!) and sourdough baguettes to soak up all the goodness. I also use balsamic vinegar with mine.

Here's another good summer salad:
Orzo
Chopped tomotoes
Green veggie: could be broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, your choice (just discovered a new variety of squash at the greenmarket called an "avocado squash." The flesh is like zucchini, but its shaped more like a small acorn squash with a skin similar to a watermelon. I like this one too.)
mozzarella
roasted red peppers
red onion
minced garlic
balsamic vinegar and olive oil to taste

One of my favorites! Yummmy!!! :yes:

If this thread is still going when the weather cools down, I'll post my mac n cheese recipe with truffle oil. It's super rich and fattening.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#9    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

Dear archernyc I put it my own Mozzarella, tomatoes and garlic from my garden and then the result is a diferrent taste,specially becarful with Mozzarella because some of them got many bacteries.

Posted Image

#10    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

Sangria is a spanish copcktel and is delicious,is easy !

Ingredients

1/2 cup brandy
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
1/3 cup orange juice
1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
1/2 cup triple sec
1 lemon, sliced into rounds
1 orange, sliced into rounds
1 lime, sliced into rounds
1/4 cup white sugar (if you want)
8 maraschino cherries

Directions

1.In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the brandy, lemon juice, lemonade concentrate, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and sugar. Float slices of lemon, orange and lime, and maraschino cherries in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

For a fizzy sangria, add club soda just before serving.The brandy is the key to this recipe.

Que aproveche :) .

Posted Image

#11    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

My mother made this for me all the time and i still love it .  :w00t:

Ingredients

1 1/4 pounds ground beef
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 hamburger buns, split

Directions

1.Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.

2.In a bowl, mix the ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, basil, garlic salt, and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 burger patties.

3.Lightly oil the grill grate, and cook burgers about 6 minutes, turning once, to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C), or to desired doneness. Serve on hamburger buns.

These are very juicy.Usually when I make burgers they come out dry and my dauther doesn't like them but not these. B)

Posted Image

#12    my_psychosis

my_psychosis

Psychic spy

• 2,731 posts

• Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
    "Pigkiller"

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

Here is an very easy recipe for an appetizer that my family loves.

Dried Beef Roll Ups

8 oz. cream cheese

1/4 t. garlic salt

1/4 t. fresh cracked black pepper

small dill pickles

1 glass jar dried beef

Mix cream cheese, garlic salt and pepper together until smooth.

Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on a piece of beef. Add the pickle in the center and roll the beef around it, and stick a toothpick in to it to hold together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Onomatopoeia. Well, that doesn't change the fact that it's a dumb word. I mean, you gotta wonder what was going on in the room the day they needed to make up that word.
Bridgette Dubois ( from TV's Medium)

#13    laffing1

laffing1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• "Sometimes the only way out, is through."- Swampman

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:53 AM

Great idea for a thread! All of these sound so delicious, I can't wait to try them.
Here are my contributions,
They're easy because I am a lazy cook. :blush:
Oh, and I also don't measure anything so the amounts are all rough estimates.

Mix in a bowl,
2 or 3 very ripe tomatoes cut in smallish pieces
chopped garlic 1 or 2 cloves or more, depending on your taste
chopped green onions once again depending on taste
salt
pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
Add whatever else you think would make it taste good
Stir it all together and put the bowl in the refrigerator while you cook the pasta.
Cook whatever kind of pasta you like, rotini is my favorite.
When the pasta is done, rinse it with cold water and stir in the tomato mixture.
Delicious!

This one is a little more work,

Put 1 or 2 lbs of boneless white meat chicken cut up in pieces in a pan and cook with the lid on, stirring frequently, you can add a little water if you need to.
When the chicken is done remove it from the pan, but keep the juice in the pan.
In a separate bowl mix 2 tablespoons of flour or cornstarch with 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce until it is well blended then add to the pan
then add,
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup of dark syrup, doesn't matter what kind, I prefer cane syrup but even cheap pancake syrup will work
1 tablespoon or more of hot sauce, or none, depending on your taste

Stir this mixture almost constantly until it thickens and then add the chicken back in.

Serve over rice or on buns.

#14    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,700 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

I would like to share the recipe of my favourite snack...Ripe Plantain Fritters...its a South Indian Delicacy

Ingredients

3 - Ripe plantains
1 cup - Rice flour
3 tbsp - Maida / all purpose flour
3 tbsp - Sugar
a pinch or two - Turmeric powder
a pinch - salt
oil to fry

Method

1) Peel the skin off the ripe plantain and cut into two parts. Then cut each part into 3- 4 slices,lengthwise.
Posted Image

2 )Mix rice powder, maida, sugar, turmeric powder and salt. Make a thick batter.

3) Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Dip the sliced plantains in the batter and deep fry till golden brown in colour.

Serve with evening tea.

Posted Image
Variation

With the sliced ripe plantain....Heat ghee or butter in a non-stick pan. Fry the slices on both side till light brown in colour.Drain and place on a serving plate. Sprinkle some sugar on the fried plantains and serve.

Edited by The Spartan, 11 August 2010 - 06:10 AM.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#15    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• 1,752 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:35 AM

View Postmy_psychosis, on 10 August 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

Here is an very easy recipe for an appetizer that my family loves.

Dried Beef Roll Ups

8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 t. garlic salt
1/4 t. fresh cracked black pepper
small dill pickles
1 glass jar dried beef

Mix cream cheese, garlic salt and pepper together until smooth.

Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on a piece of beef. Add the pickle in the center and roll the beef around it, and stick a toothpick in to it to hold together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This sounds yummy, but I've never seen jars of dried beef.  Is that something common to the midwest?

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users