Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Could the mythical blue tiger actually exist?

blue tiger maltese tiger mythical cryptids

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

One of the world's most famous cryptids is the so-called blue tiger, first sighted in China a century ago. Cryptozoologists have even worked how such a creature might come to be.

The blue tiger, or maltese tiger, came to international attention in 1910, when a missionary in the Fujian province of China noticed what he thought was a man in a blue suit. It turned out to be a tiger with a smoky blue coat striped with black.

http://io9.com/could...xist-1331164937

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,902 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

We used to have a family of 'blue' semi-feral cats on the farm a few years ago. Brilliant 'ratters'!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    emberdawn

emberdawn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

It be wonderful if they really do exist.

#4    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,266 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Mythical? they do actually exist, close to extinction apparently
http://en.wikipedia....i/Maltese_tiger
"In support of the blue tiger theory, Maltese-colored cats certainly do exist. The most common are a domestic cat breed, the Russian Blue, and a variety of the British Shorthair, the British Blue, but blue bobcats and lynxes have also been recorded, and there are genetic mutations and combinations that result in bluish hue, or at least in the impression of a blue-gray animal. Shuker suggested that blue tigers possessed two different pairs of recessive alleles – the non-agouti (s/s), and the dilute (d/d)[4] which combine to produce a solid blue-gray colour as found in domestic cats such as the British Blue and Russian Blue, but would not produce the striped blue tigers reported."

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

Most famous? This is the first time I've heard of this creature in 8 years of prowling these forums. That ain't very famous, IMHO.

Could they be real? Sure. The article postulates a possible way it could happen. Though apparently the best recorded sightings by Westerners (Who apparently are all Western Science cares about) was in the 1920s. So this particular genetic expression may be gone for good by now.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    Beadingterri

Beadingterri

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:30 AM

In rabbits, blue is a dilute of black which if it worked the same way in cats, the stripes would be blue, not the base coat of the tiger.  Could there have been a blue tiger somewhere in the past?  It is really hard to say, most of the tigers known to exist have coats that run from white to red with various shades of tan and orange in-between.  I am not saying that an orange tiger could not throw a blue tiger, but if it did, it would most likely be due to a mutation in the coat color rather than a true gene.  This is just my opinion based on years of breeding rabbits and I fully admit that I could be wrong

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

View PostBeadingterri, on 06 October 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

In rabbits, blue is a dilute of black which if it worked the same way in cats, the stripes would be blue, not the base coat of the tiger.  Could there have been a blue tiger somewhere in the past?  It is really hard to say, most of the tigers known to exist have coats that run from white to red with various shades of tan and orange in-between.  I am not saying that an orange tiger could not throw a blue tiger, but if it did, it would most likely be due to a mutation in the coat color rather than a true gene.  This is just my opinion based on years of breeding rabbits and I fully admit that I could be wrong
So does that mean a regular tiger is black with orange stripes?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

I'm no feline geneticist, but I met a blue housecat once (I have forgotten his breed). The cat's name was "Monk." Another person on another UM thread said, recently, that tigers and housecats share a lot of DNA. Ipso facto, a blue tiger wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Maybe they're celibate? No wonder there are so few. . .

Edited by szentgyorgy, 09 October 2013 - 12:44 AM.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users