Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unitarians & Christian Scientists

Rafterman

A couple of good podcast offerings from the past week for those interested.

The Thinking Atheist takes a look at Unitarians.

and

Oh No Ross and Carrie learn a bit about the Church of Christ, Scientist.

I'll freely admit that I didn't know much about the UUs and the podcast shed a lot of light on them and their beliefs (or lack thereof). The history of the church was quite fascinating.

As for the Christian Scientists, well, they're just bat **** crazy in my opinion. And Ross & Carrie do their usual comedic send up of the entire thing.

Enjoy.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/podcast/the-unitarians

Unitarian churches are essentially promoted as houses without walls, places were diverse opinions and cultures can converge in safety and without judgment. But how can churches not have doctrines, specific holy books and/or dogmas? Does the Unitarian church have merit as a place of respectful discussion on topics relating to belief, purpose and truth? What are the colors, cultures, branches, sects and flavors of Universalist churches out there? Michael Werner's book "Regaining Balance: the Evolution of the UUA" http://huumanists.org/store/regaining-balance-evolution-uua - See more at: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/podcast/the-unitarians#sthash.OTddUQ9K.dpuf

http://ohnopodcast.com/

Ross and Carrie join the congregation at their local Christian Science church, learn that disease is all in your head, cerebral palsy is an illusion, germs don't exist, and peeing on the floor is gross. Plus, learn about the history of the discoverer and founder of Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy!

• Like 1

Thank you I loved the podcast on the UU Church. I go to the local UU Church. I am not really a Universalist Unitarian. For some of same reasons the podcaster said near the end. I'm not as tolerant of all religions being will and good. I go to the Pagan stuff in the backyard. It is very kind of the Church to give us space and we support the Church all we can.

I know there are a lot of Unitarians who are atheists. I'm not sure why they need to be teased apart here, or why on earth they would be in the same title along with Christian Scientists.

Are they being compared here? I'm not understanding why they would be.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

There are 7 Principles, and that's the closest thing to "dogma" you're gonna find...

• 1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • 2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • 3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • 4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • 5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • 6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • 7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

It's from the UUA website.

• Like 1

I agree, UU's <----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Christian Scientists are not even on the same planet.

• Like 1

I know there are a lot of Unitarians who are atheists. I'm not sure why they need to be teased apart here, or why on earth they would be in the same title along with Christian Scientists.

Are they being compared here? I'm not understanding why they would be.

No comparison - the podcasts just came out the same week so I put them into one post since they were both focusing on specific religions.