Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where do you get your equipment

shmrckdog

So I am in the process of building a paranormal investigation group and just started purchasing different equipment. I wanted to know where people recommend or purchase there own items.

Thanks in advance for the help

• Like 1

Depends on where you live. I'm lucky to have a business that markets to paranormal groups so I have bought some stuff from him. I've also bought stuff from Wal-Mart, Radio Shack and Home Depot. Rest of the stuff I get off of Amazon. The main thing to remember is the majority of stuff used in ghost hunting wasn't intended for it. If you do some research and shop around you can find equipment that does not have a ghost hunting approved sticker on it and it will be cheaper. EMF detector is one that comes to mind. Pawn shops are another great place to find stuff like camcorders and such.

Also start out small and work your way up. We started out with just digital audio recorders and a few camcorders before getting a cheap DVR system, which was just a DVD recorder and a camera.

Good luck.

• Like 1

@ RyanREMTP

Hey, that video clip you have of Paul's jacket collar being pulled on , when I watched that show and seen that , I felt that he looked uncomfortable about it , not in the sense that it was a paranormal thing, but to maybe boast t.v ratings .

Hey, that video clip you have of Paul's jacket collar being pulled on , when I watched that show and seen that , I felt that he looked uncomfortable about it , not in the sense that it was a paranormal thing, but to maybe boast t.v ratings .

That's Grant Wilson's collar pull. Personally when I watched it he did seemed suprised but then it could have been faked, it's hard not to be skeptical. We don't know, there has been several attempt to 'debunk' this piece of footage involving a string but I haven't been convinced either way, I guess it's one of those things when you have to trust his honesty and many critics of the show are not ready to go there.

The fact is that Grant Wilson still stands by his word to this day. When he leaved the show in 2013 he was interviewed in a 75 min radio show called The Reveal and the host asked him about this; he isn't too bothered, obviously no one like to be called a cheat or a fraud but he seems convinced that what he experienced was genuine and if people won't believe him at the end of the day he can't do much about it..

Here's the interview: http://thereveal.pod...T10_40_52-08_00 (The collar pull discussion starts at 24:40 min)

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

Radio Shack or a hardware store should have all the ghost hunting gear you'll ever need.

This years models, too. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

That's Grant Wilson's collar pull. Personally when I watched it he did seemed suprised but then it could have been faked, it's hard not to be skeptical. We don't know, there has been several attempt to 'debunk' this piece of footage involving a string but I haven't been convinced either way, I guess it's one of those things when you have to trust his honesty and many critics of the show are not ready to go there.

The fact is that Grant Wilson still stands by his word to this day. When he leaved the show in 2013 he was interviewed in a 75 min radio show called The Reveal and the host asked him about this; he isn't too bothered, obviously no one like to be called a cheat or a fraud but he seems convinced that what he experienced was genuine and if people won't believe him at the end of the day he can't do much about it..

Here's the interview: http://thereveal.pod...T10_40_52-08_00 (The collar pull discussion starts at 24:40 min)

I don't know why i said Paul maybe 'cause I read pull Grants . I think that he and Steve are pretty O.K. I think they're decent , but I think that was not real. would it surprise you if it were faked ?

Radio Shack or a hardware store should have all the ghost hunting gear you'll ever need.

This years models, too. :rolleyes:

hey , I hear that Radio Shack may go out of business . they can't keep up with the competition , Best Buy and all. But you may be on to something. I like that idea. They should invest a lil more into something other than what they have going now.

• Like 1

I don't know why i said Paul maybe 'cause I read pull Grants . I think that he and Steve are pretty O.K. I think they're decent , but I think that was not real. would it surprise you if it were faked ?

If that were faked then Grant Wilson is a hoaxer and he certainly wouldn't be OK or decent. You've got wonder what is there really to gain doing such a thing and lying to everyone about it. That's deceitful and very dishonest, far from everyone would go there even for extra money on a contract. I don't know the man personally but informations one can glean about him suggest he isn't the type of guy who would put his intergrity on the line and go for such nonsens.

This sums up my thoughts on it:

''Obviously Grant has a lot of fun with the job, and from what I witnessed myself, I’m not sure why they’d go so far as to fake that event. There are some videos calling the show “fake” because of the staged setups, where the team would position themselves before a take, but that’s going to happen in any reality show, whether you want to believe it or not.''

Source: http://cliqueclack.c...ve-event-faked/

Critics and 'debunkers' will push the hoax theory as a fact because that's what they want to believe, since anything 'paranormal' don't exist anyway. But outside this agenda it is true that the possiblity of hoax cannot be dimissed for a skeptival mind, and since Grant Wilson cannot prove what he experienced there is not much he can do about it. Whether or not you want to give him the benefit of the doubt is up to you.

Edited by sam_comm

Welcome to UM shmrckdog :st Please, read the site rules, check out some threads, and enjoy your time here on UM :)

I think it depends on what kind of equipment you are looking for where you should shop for it. Some places have better deals on things like cameras and sound recorders. Other places might have better deals on other things people sometimes use for ghost hunting. If you have a science and surplus store around you they might have all sorts of neat things.

But more important than where to get it I think is that you understand how to use it. Like if you use a camera, make sure you set up your timestamp function and learn how to use the camera right. How to save your data without messing with the original before you start messing with copies. Same thing goes for sound recorders and data saving. Or if you want to use other stuff- really learn what those devices do and use them in a controlled environment before you try ghost hunting with them. Like an EMF detector is popular- but learn what all or not those things read and where they work or not before trying to use them for ghost hunting.

Thanks all. Yea I was a member of a team for a while but found after a while the team just wasn't the right fit any longer. I wasn't in the position of purchasing our equipment so figured asking others was the best place to start my project. I welcome all advise and suggestions thats for sure.

Thanks again

As for the collar pull, at the time I thought it was a fake. Just judging from the video and reactions from others and all. Now I could care less. It's a TV show. From my experience nothing on TV is 100% accurate. Even the media will hype something or anything up to get ratings. But this is all for another thread.

send me £500 and i will knock you a box up equipped with flashy lights to help you.

If that were faked then Grant Wilson is a hoaxer and he certainly wouldn't be OK or decent. You've got wonder what is there really to gain doing such a thing and lying to everyone about it. That's deceitful and very dishonest, far from everyone would go there even for extra money on a contract. I don't know the man personally but informations one can glean about him suggest he isn't the type of guy who would put his intergrity on the line and go for such nonsens.

This sums up my thoughts on it:

''Obviously Grant has a lot of fun with the job, and from what I witnessed myself, I’m not sure why they’d go so far as to fake that event. There are some videos calling the show “fake” because of the staged setups, where the team would position themselves before a take, but that’s going to happen in any reality show, whether you want to believe it or not.''

Source: http://cliqueclack.c...ve-event-faked/

Critics and 'debunkers' will push the hoax theory as a fact because that's what they want to believe, since anything 'paranormal' don't exist anyway. But outside this agenda it is true that the possiblity of hoax cannot be dimissed for a skeptival mind, and since Grant Wilson cannot prove what he experienced there is not much he can do about it. Whether or not you want to give him the benefit of the doubt is up to you.

I don't think he himself is a fake. I think that sometimes producers force people to do things, they normally wouldn't do. Are they still together ? Or did they spilt up ? Were they the sole producers ? Did they have entire say over things ? Were ratings dropping ? I don't know??? I just really really really felt that was not real . Even so , it didn't effect my feelings about them though...I do find their show to be not as exciting as it once was.

Edited by Reann