Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran sends monkey into space

Waspie_Dwarf

Iran 'successfully sends monkey into space'

Iran says it has successfully sent a monkey into space.

The primate travelled in a Pishgam rocket, which reached an altitude of some 120km (75 miles) for a sub-orbital flight before "returning its shipment intact", the defence ministry said.

Iranian state TV showed images of the monkey, which was strapped into a harness, being taken to the rocket.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Well good for them bad for the monkey.

Unless it was a super cool thrill seeking monkey. I choose to believe it was.

• Like 4

So the next world war will start with a monkey launching a nuke from space.

• Like 3

So the next world war will start with a monkey launching a nuke from space.

Diabolical Iran. Diabolical.

Impressive. I had no idea the Iranian space program was so advanced as to do this.

• Like 1

We (the USA) should retort back with a prompt elephant launch, just to show em' who's boss. :D

I thought they should have launched their leader into space.

• Like 1

THey are still useing Testors Rocket kits they get at our Hobby Stores here in the U.S. But What the Hey ? That monkey will no doubt make a Movie deal outta it ! :tu:

This is just too obvious for a joke so I'll read what others post.

Send a monkey into space.

I wonder if every Iranian kid will from now on read at school that Iran was the 1st ever country to send a creature that wasn't a dog into space.....

Iran is taking well care of its thrill seeking monkeys. They must have lotsa money to build a ride like that. And to pick it up aint a joke. Thats a space program if they left the atmosphere ala Russia launching a monkey into space in the early days of there space program. ill say I was actually impressed by this. And no prelaunch scare tactics. :tu:

• Like 1

Firstly it is important to point out that this was not an orbital flight. The monkey simply followed a ballistic trajectory which peaked at 120 Km (75 miles) altitude. It counts as a spaceflight as it exceed the official designation of space which is 100 Km (62 miles).

The other thing is that with all the comments and jokes made no one here seems to have grasped the real serious implication of this Iranian technology. The ability to launch this capsule and recover it means that Iran either has, or is close to having, the technology to create a usable warhead for a missile.

Iran is far closer to building a usable long range missile system than North Korea is.

• Like 7

Its kinda of like nobody cares that the Constitution is getting shredded in America (off topic). TBH I know I am numb these days and these things alone would certainly make me feel exactly what you point out. But when I put it all into my head its lost the ability to "feel" as it was just a monkey shot off into space on a missile. But yeah. There technology is getting impressive. Hopefully Yamato is correct and they since they havent attacked anyone in hundreds of years our fears are just that..fears.. But from where I am sitting there is nothing I can do to alter it so it becomes easier to make a joke I guess.

Great job Iran we need more people looking toweards stars. And chill please just because they might build a nuclear device still doesnt mean they will use it.. Isreal,N.Korea,even US have them but noone used it so far.. except US..So stop speculating what might be and look to what has done so far? Why do people take Iran as threat?

• Like 1

Maybe they are developing nuclear physics for some sort propulsion or power.. Yet US and Isreal are saying they are developing nuclear bombs come on not everyone thinks like US and Israel.. Give them a break... they arent threathing anyone like US or Isreal. Leave them alone... On the other hand US had developed nuclear physic just for making weapons of mass destruction and they even used it so... Who is a real threat some lunatic with whole arsenal of missiles or one with noone ...and even if you people think they are making scary bombs ... you think they will use one bomb vs. US or Isreal or any other country no they wont, they aint nothing like your military..

Give me one firm evidence they are making nuclear " warheads " !

Edit: Like China and Russia arent allowing US or Isreal to interfer they wont allow Iran to launch any missiles for that matter...Some people arent all about war...

Edited by Tesla II

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/15/us-iran-satellite-idUSTRE75E5I020110615

(Reuters) - Iran has successfully launched a second domestically built satellite into orbit, Iran's Arabic language al-Alam television reported on Wednesday.

The United States and its allies fear Iran is seeking to build nuclear bombs and are concerned that the long-range ballistic technology used to put satellites into orbit can also be used to launch warheads.

"Iran launched a domestically built rocket and the Rasad 1 (satellite) has been put into orbit," al-Alam reported.

In February 2009, Iran launched its first domestically-built satellite, the OMID (Hope) research and telecoms satellite, in what it described as a big step coinciding with the 30th anniversary of its 1979 Islamic revolution.

Iran, which regards its space program as a matter of national pride, says its nuclear program is solely to generate electricity.

Physically a missile launched from Iran will not hit American soil. Fact. We insist on making it our problem despite this.

I coulda swore I saw the monkey smiling in the video.

• Like 1

Well maybe there still is hope of ending wars which are ignited by words of people in power...Gotta love those two post about this one! +1 to both!

The Iranian politicos, perhaps justifiably, do fear the West in light of events going back to the 50's revolution. These fears are understandable and are certainly perpetuated to political advantage. But, this political ethos that may be often at odds with the general Persian population that is arguably more pro-west than most other Islamic populations. So, given this perspective, the launching of the projectile can certainly be viewed as potentially hostile, or perhaps more benevolently as a scientific endeavor that both demonstrates military might as well as scientific and engineering acumen of "don't tread on me."

• Like 1

The Iranian politicos, perhaps justifiably, do fear the West in light of events going back to the 50's revolution. These fears are understandable and are certainly perpetuated to political advantage. But, this political ethos that may be often at odds with the general Persian population that is arguably more pro-west than most other Islamic populations. So, given this perspective, the launching of the projectile can certainly be viewed as potentially hostile, or perhaps more benevolently as a scientific endeavor that both demonstrates military might as well as scientific and engineering acumen of "don't tread on me."

Yea -- everyone sees the world from a different perspective. It takes work to try to see the world as an Iranian Mullah might see it, though.
  • Like 1

People change, times change,... US isnt so much of a superpower as it was.. Back in days America was a good example, even i thought highly about it. But now it went haywire and Bush family started this trend. You people need to fix your own problems first like in country they have too... than maybe help others, and by help i actually mean HELP.. Not destruction and massive troop involvment.. Look at french they sent only a small platoon of soldiers to help locals in their endevaour. You people are sending entire regiments or military " help "...which so far resulted in massive civilian death, that is no help.. thats massacre..

It was a monkey strapped to a missile.

• Like 1