Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Most well documented UFO case?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    supersnatch

supersnatch

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

For me it has to be Bentwaters after everything I have read/seen.  Wondering what some of you think.

#2    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

I was about to say Rendlesham Forest until I realized it was the same thing.

#3    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

From the publicly available records, there were a couple cases that really grabbed the attention of the people involved in the UFO investigation in the early days, like these:  ONE stood for the Office of National Estimates, which was part of the CIA.

If you could run down some of the names on this list, you'd learn quite a bit more about UFOs.  This was also the first time I had seen Bill Bundy's name connected with this subject.  It was also the first time I have seen J. Edgar Hoover called "Dr" since in fact he was a lawyer.

Admiral Bieri was President Eisenhower's chief of staff.  NOTE: This Office did not deal only with UFOs but produced the National Intelligence Estimates (NIEs) on a wide variety of subjects.  It was sort of the elite think-tank within the CIA.

O/SI refers to the CIA's Office of Scientific Intelligence, which from 1949 was also heavily involved with the Pentagon's Research and Development Board--and were know that both were very interested in UFOs.  In other words, this document is more evidence of the secret, high-level UFO investigation that was running parallel to Project Sign and Blue Book.  

These were the people who got the really good UFO reports, including the ones about possible crashed saucers and alien remains, which had been pulled from the regular military channels.  

Edward Ruppelt once described them as "scientists—rocket experts, nuclear physicists, and intelligence experts. They had banded together to study our UFO reports because they were convinced that some of the UFO’s that were being reported were interplanetary spaceships", and we know who some of them were.
Posted Image

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 12 January 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#4    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

If I had to pick the most important and influential UFO case of all time, it would be the Washington DC flap of 1952, but of course there have been many other important cases.

I would say that the 1977 Colares UFO cases in Brazil are among the best documented, as well as some of the strangest.

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 12 January 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#5    Lorelilly

Lorelilly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

• Godís drifting in heaven, devilís in the mailbox
    I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Illinois UFO Sighting

This case involved the sighting of a huge unidentified triangular-shaped UFO by police officers and others in the early morning hours of January 5, 2000, over the state of Illinois. The officers, from a number of small Illinois towns, were able to track the unknown object and maintain radio contact with each other during the event. Their in-depth testimonies have been fully documented by investigators.

They put together a computer animated tape that took into account each of the eyewitnesses sighting and it was so ... amazing. The fact that at least 3 of the eyewitnesses were Policemen in 3 separated counties made it believable. To this day, at least for me, this is the most believable sighting. Whether it was from another world is a whole other story...

Edited by Lorelilly, 01 July 2013 - 09:48 PM.

pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until in our despair there comes wisdom through the awful grace of God  ~Aeschylus

#6    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

The Hessdalen Lights in Norway.

No, it doesn't involve flying saucers and aliens, but it's a real and continuous phenomenon and was scientifically investigated over several months which produced a long report with no solid conclusions. This makes it more interesting than stories about little green men and it is certainly far better documented than the popular cases.

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,581 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

View Postscowl, on 01 July 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

The Hessdalen Lights in Norway.

No, it doesn't involve flying saucers and aliens, but it's a real and continuous phenomenon and was scientifically investigated over several months which produced a long report with no solid conclusions. This makes it more interesting than stories about little green men and it is certainly far better documented than the popular cases.

:tu:   thats the best for me, filmed, photographed, very well documented, seriously investigated, professionally too, a dedicated study shack set up...and it went on night after night for years...

then it seemed to slow down .... no other case, so far as I know, has had that kind of serious and prolonged study, ever.

http://www.hessdalen.org/pictures/

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#8    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

I don't know why UFOlogists don't get excited about the Hessdalen Lights. Here we have dozens of high quality pictures taken over several months of unidentified lights flying around in the sky and sometimes disappearing, and a shack full of scientists with excellent test equipment (including radar) couldn't figure out what they were.

Maybe because this case doesn't sell magazines or get them on cable television?

#9    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,581 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

View Postscowl, on 01 July 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

I don't know why UFOlogists don't get excited about the Hessdalen Lights. Here we have dozens of high quality pictures taken over several months of unidentified lights flying around in the sky and sometimes disappearing, and a shack full of scientists with excellent test equipment (including radar) couldn't figure out what they were.

Maybe because this case doesn't sell magazines or get them on cable television?

Or maybe because the photos arent sensationalized and captioned with "Giant UFO over a nuke facility", or..."UFO's chase a motorist"

Just the sensible approach of, " Here we have real unexplained phenomena of lights in the sky", you know, with a calm and rational response...

ufo nuts want the glamor, the danger, the thrill, sadly, and aliens with bug eyes doing prostate exams on people with probes not unlike Dildo's,,,,

But NOT the serious down to earth view - and calm study...

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#10    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yes, there were no reports of aliens, abductions, or cattle mutilations associated with the lights.

I agree on the captioning. If you posted one of the photos with a story that began "Norwegian scientists study strange luminous phenomenon", probably no one would respond.

However you would quickly get a hundred post thread if you posted the same photo with a story that began with, "I was driving down I-84 last night, my radio stopped working, looked up saw this UFO took picture of it with my cell phone. Anybody know what planet its from?"

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,558 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

A good analysis of the Hessdalen Lights by Brian Dunning for his Skeptoid podcast.

His theory - aircraft landing lights account for the vast majority of sightings.

Read the transcript or listen to the podcast here:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4270

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#12    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

The 3 big ones to me would be the Betty and Barney Hill sighting/abduction, Roswell and Bentwaters.

#13    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,581 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostRafterman, on 02 July 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

A good analysis of the Hessdalen Lights by Brian Dunning for his Skeptoid podcast.

His theory - aircraft landing lights account for the vast majority of sightings.

Read the transcript or listen to the podcast here:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4270

The thing with that article is, it states the phenomena started in the 80's, but the lights were seen from the 40's, Again  in the last paragraph of your link, it states:  "By no means am I suggesting that aircraft landing lights are the cause of all the Hessdalen sightings"

But its possible some automated cameras may have snapped planes, sure.

wiki gives these descriptions of what they can be:

http://en.wikipedia....le_explanations

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,761 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

This is my favorite, but would not fall under "most documented":

#15    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,553 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Mine are my favorite but they're hardly documented at all.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users