Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3.5 billion-year-old fossil discovered

Saru

Researchers have uncovered bacteria fossils so old that they predate oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere.

Researchers have found fossils of bacteria that are nearly 3. 5 billion years old, believed to be the oldest visible fossils ever uncovered.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

Cool find! Thanks for posting.

So it would be possible for life to form on other planets even without oxygen present.

• Like 5

Yeah, my wife tried to suffocate me once, but I am still alive! :w00t:

• Like 2

So it would be possible for life to form on other planets even without oxygen present.

I'm not calling you foolish but I think the notion that life must have oxygen is foolish. IMO life is as much part of the universe as gravity and the other fundamental forces
  • Like 1

I'm not calling you foolish but I think the notion that life must have oxygen is foolish. IMO life is as much part of the universe as gravity and the other fundamental forces

Isn't that going a little too far? The fundamental forces of the universe are pervasive. "Life", apparently, does not even come close to that analogy of pervasiveness.

Is "Life" beyond earth "out there" ?

Don't know, but I would suspect there is.

However, I seriously doubt that "life" is as pervasive as the "fundamental forces, given the complex chemical interactions and environmental conditions necessary to sustain it towards evolutionary maturation.

I don't think "life" is all that common, but I do believe it's "out there", including very highly advanced intelligent forms, likely hundreds within each galaxy. And "basic" life forms are likely even more common.

Just my opinion, no proof.

• Like 4

Neat! Life started in Australia! Then came XXXX

• Like 1

There are multi-verses. There are billions upon billions of galaxies in the universe, which Hubble has not even glimpsed the predicted edge of. There are billions of stars in this galaxy. There are billions of planets orbiting those stars. There are even billions of planets in the 'goldilocks' zone. Earth is but one known planet with conscious life, (which all life probably is). The 'stuff' Earth is made of came from 'out there'. Matter is universal. Guess what? Life came from 'out there'. In fact it would probably be impossible to prevent it from thriving here thus making it, most probably, the standard, not the exception.

• Like 1

There are multiverses? Really? What proof do we have of this alleged fact, any scientific proof, empirical data, no, nothing at all.

If life is the norm in the universe which we exist in based on very small fractions determining our existence and non existence (fine tuning), we have zero scientific and empirical proof of life out there....

Doesnt the primordial earths atmosphere and soup of chemicals include oxygen to make protiens (amino acids) form out of nothing (abiogenesis), which are building blocks of life?

Yet here we have bacteria much earlier than this perfect primordial soup which allegedly formed life out of nothing...

• Like 1

Life out there doesn't have to be anything like us, not even intelligent life. Maybe they don't even need oxygen to survive and evolve. Maybe they could be so different we wouldn't even recognize them as intelligent life forms.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

There are multi-verses. There are billions upon billions of galaxies in the universe, which Hubble has not even glimpsed the predicted edge of. There are billions of stars in this galaxy. There are billions of planets orbiting those stars. There are even billions of planets in the 'goldilocks' zone. Earth is but one known planet with conscious life, (which all life probably is). The 'stuff' Earth is made of came from 'out there'. Matter is universal. Guess what? Life came from 'out there'. In fact it would probably be impossible to prevent it from thriving here thus making it, most probably, the standard, not the exception.

I really don't believe in multi-universes. I think there is only one but I do agree life on Earth is probably not the exception but the rule.
  • Like 1

Neat! Life started in Australia! Then came XXXX

XXXX makes me wish there was no life on earth ;)

Isn't oxygen only necessary for multi-celled organisms as we know them?

Isn't oxygen only necessary for multi-celled organisms as we know them?

Life can exist without oxygen but free oxygen, which quickly binds with other elements, can't exist without photosynthesis (or some similar process) to continuously produce more of it. That's why oxygen in a planet's atmosphere would indicate life there.

When will you stupid scientologists stop pushing evolution atheist and cult nonsense? Shut up already and accept reality. God damn, grow up. "Dur I hate God some I'm gonna believe in evolution and big bangs and not admit the Bible is true duuuur." Shut up, what immaturity.

http://eternian.wordpress.com/evidence

When will you stupid scientologists stop pushing evolution atheist and cult nonsense? Shut up already and accept reality. God damn, grow up. "Dur I hate God some I'm gonna believe in evolution and big bangs and not admit the Bible is true duuuur." Shut up, what immaturity.

OK ....... if you say so....... but you know before slamming some of your beliefs in our faces you should read the UM rules....... and no I wont shut up. And I wont let your dogma step over my Dharma

• Like 1

are you flipping serious? What immaturity is right. So someone thinks different than you. Big deal. Honestly did it occur to you to allow others freewill in what to think, say, and do? At least your God had the decency for that allowance. Who knows maybe everyone is correct or no one is correct. Who cares anyways this place is for expressing free thought. God bless you, and may you learn tolerance for your fellow man.

• Like 1

Those plants are something we should be thankful to.

I had to look twice at your name my friend... I thought the last letter was a T for just the slightest moment. Haven't seen you around. I hope to see you post more. Heck for that matter I haven't been around much either I'd like to see me post more too!! Hahaha