Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Conspiracies are Mostly Flawed

KevinM

Ok apparently the world is run by super powerful secret societies working behind the scenes. You've got the Priori, the Illumanati, the scions of Atlantis, aliens from the planet Galefrey at war with aliens from the planet Skarro, The Cthuhlu Cult, Free Masons, Satanists and the ever popular US Govt all struggling to controll the world. Apparently though all of there agents went to the James Bond school for spies where flash is every thing and secrecy irrelevent.

COme on people do you really think that if these groups existed (several of them do to some extent admittedly ie the Govt and the Masons) you'd have ever heard about them? The US govt managed to keep the SR 71 black bird and stealth bomber complete secrets from the public for decades. Consider how our own inteligence community operates. They bind people to oaths of total secrecy enforcable under the law. Any one who has accesss to top secret information is monitored through most of there life complete with random checks and will be tried and executed for high treason if they talk even once. Yet every other month some "govt" offical comes out and admits he's aware that UFOs are really being kept in Area 51 or some other secret info. Spare me if any of it were true the Goverment would have hauled him off to the nearest jail cell the minute he even started talking to any media outlets. If secret societies have any real power I wouldn't doubt they'd kill to protect there secrets as well(some may have in fact). Yet we seem to think we are privy to this information just because people write "tell all" books and do tv shows claiming to tell the truth. Often forgotten fact: there is no legal requirement of when a fictional work has to start being fictional. For example Christ Carter put the claim that every thing the X Files showed was based on first hand accounts, and the movie Fargo claimed the same, heck Blair Witch Project still fools dozens of people into thinking its real. You can claim just about any fictional thing you write is fact because the claim itself is also fiction

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KevinM

• turbonium

• twinstead

• gazerbeams

I don't have a problem with conspiracy theories. I have a problem with people who won't believe anything but a conspiracy theory.

For instance. If the U.S. government were to come out tomorrow and publish information that the JFK assassination did indeed involve more than one individual, then it still wouldn't be the end for conspiracy theorists.

Even if the government gave full disclosure of all of the information and gave it all truthfully, conspiracy theorists would still find something else in that information to harp on.

It's a never-ending, viscious cycle.

However, as much as I am a skeptic and can't stand crack-pot views, the crack-pot views are essential for three reasons:

1.) If someone is spouting their crack-pot views, then they are doing so freely and are not being hushed up. The freedom to speak one's mind, regardless as to how ridiculous it may seem to others, is a basic human freedom that should be prevalent in ALL cultures. The citizens of Iraq didn't have that freedom. They do now. This is one example of how it's a good thing.

2.) It maintains a system of checks and balances for every government. Even if that government claims "plausible deniability", they still have to account for the fact that someone isn't buying everything they are selling, regardless of how much it may be true.

3.) It entertains the hell out of me.

I agree with MedicTJ on the three reasons why these views are important.

I also agree with Kevin, if these "secret" societies existed, we wouldn't know about it. Whenever someone says that they have proof of one of them, it is just another website claiming that they are going to take over the world.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying people don't have a right to talk about it. Hey I think most of them are absolutely hysterical. The utter lack of credibility and ignorance of what constitutes evidence. Its some what tragic because its also a sign of our degeneration back into a world of superstition and fear. Conspiracy theories can be very dangerous if the wrong people take them to heart. Look at what Joseph Mccarthy started when he became convinced that there was a huge communist conspiracy to overthrow America.

Medic you hit the nail on the head. It seems most conspiracy people believe only conspiaracies, no matter what the theroy is.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying people don't have a right to talk about it.  Hey I think most of them are absolutely hysterical.  The utter lack of credibility and ignorance of what constitutes evidence.  Its some what tragic because its also a sign of our degeneration back into a world of superstition and fear.  Conspiracy theories can be very dangerous if the wrong people take them to heart.  Look at what Joseph Mccarthy started when he became convinced that there was a huge communist conspiracy to overthrow America.

515234[/snapback]

so they've got to you now....... grin2.gif

Got to me? No no no you got it all wrong. I've been a Scion of Atlantis Cthuhu worshiping alien from Galifrey for three hundred years now. In my spare time I'm a grand master of the knights of templar, the grand high poohba of the Illumanati, and the mastermind behind every evil threat in the world from Teletubbies to Pokemon. Also I use the Ark of the Covenent as my coffee table, ate the holy grail yesterday(it was actually a porcupine), use the Spear of destiny for target practice and regularly have long dark tea times of the soul with Thor, Satan, the Antichrist, God and Jimmy Haffa. Paranormal investigation is just my day job.

Edited by KevinM

While I'm certain that the american government is hush-hush about various things (and, in many cases with good reason -- can you imagine what would happen if they made highly sensitive military information available to the general public? As much as I oppose certain aspects of the american government, for them to go around advertising the locations, access codes, etc. of/to nuclear facilities would be suicide) I've found that 99% of conspiracy theories are unfounded and completely absurd.

The problem is that a good chunk of paranoid crackpots suffer from some form of mental illness. This in itself discredits their theories, and while it's not absolute proof that they're wrong, it lends itself towards creating the idea that nothing coming from this individuals mouth can be taken seriously.

I'm not saying that all conspiracy theorists are raving lunatics, of course. However, there's a huge difference between questioning whether or not the government is being upfront about everything, and covering your head in tin-foil to prevent the alien.gif Prime Grays alien.gif from Planet X from reading your thoughts. I just can't take those who fall into the latter category seriously.

You mean, the foil won't protect me? Are you sure?! What are your sources? ph34r.gif

You mean, the foil won't protect me? Are you sure?! What are your sources? ph34r.gif

517190[/snapback]

The Greys phoned me up the other night, told me that tinfoil is useless. Well, actually they were mostly b****ing about the long-distance rates involved in such a call, but we did touch on the subject of tinfoil and whatnot. It was awesome.

Well of course greys are all demons so you need to cover your head with 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons books. Since every one knows D&D is an evil game the demons posing as little gray men will break out the polyhedrons and generate mages to attack the darkness instead of abducting you. Just remember it has to be first or third edition demons don't like second because they stoped calling em demons in 2nd.

Gazer you hit it on the head. I think mental illness is on the rise in this country. This is a side effect of it.

What if the societeys (like the illuminati) wanted you to know of them, through finger prints?

Allow me to explain before you draw a judgement.

The illuminati are fascinated by symbology and numberology. They like to leave sutle fingerprints to remind us of them.

For example; The logo on the dollar bill. (most obviouse) World leaders flashing the sign of the devil. The pyramid of 666 gold peices of glass, ect.

www.infowars.com has loads, includeing a tsunami victim that was found with a NWO t-shirt. The NWO is the over name of the illuminati. Apparantly, sixteen people were found with exactly the same shirt.

I just don't buy that conspriacy theroy. Are there power brokers? Yes. But a world wide conspiracy of the illuminati , no I don't buy that. It is too much of a stretch. Grasping for straws.

Then how do you explain the finger prints?

I am not making a far fetched claim, so I don't have to explain anything. Your making the claim, its up to you to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. I am not being nasty to you, but people that believe these whacky things should put up or shut up.

I find that offensive. I've already provided evidence, the finger prints. Only if you can counter that evidence and debunk it, do I have to put foward more evidence. Currently, the ball is in your court.

I've already 'put up'. I have no reason to shut up.

That evidence is flaky at best. Come on Walken. Just agree to disagree. Also, every time I disagree with you, you find it offensive.

Edited by ericraven2003

Allow me to explain before you draw a judgement.

The illuminati are fascinated by symbology and numberology. They like to leave sutle fingerprints to remind us of them.

For example; The logo on the dollar bill. (most obviouse) World leaders flashing the sign of the devil. The pyramid of 666 gold peices of glass, ect.

www.infowars.com has loads, includeing a tsunami victim that was found with a NWO t-shirt. The NWO is the over name of the illuminati. Apparantly, sixteen people were found with exactly the same shirt.

517924[/snapback]

Okay. I don't believe in the Illuminati, but I do give credence to some of the "numerical" anamolies that occur from time to time. For instance, the number "11" and multiples of it seem to occur much more than one would think is randomly natural.

That being said, it doesn't mean that I believe there is some mystical, magical force driving everything. There is an explanation to it and when it is revealed, then I think we'll find that it is nothing real big, but something significant.

Uh-huh.

I didn't find what you said offensive, eric. I just challenged it. I've already provided evidence.

Tell me, why do you think its flaky?