Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Baltimore riots - Freddie Gray

F3SS

In terms of behaviorism, I can understand this, but in terms of politics, this is a failure of law enforcement, and in terms of human dignity, it uncomfortably reminds me of the scene in "Glory", where the one Union general has his soldiers looting and running around crazy because, as he explains to Matthew Broderick in front of Broderick's well-discipline troops, you can't really expect much more from black people (paraphrased).

• Like 6

In terms of behaviorism, I can understand this, but in terms of politics, this is a failure of law enforcement, and in terms of human dignity, it uncomfortably reminds me of the scene in "Glory", where the one Union general has his soldiers looting and running around crazy because, as he explains to Matthew Broderick in front of Broderick's well-discipline troops, you can't really expect much more from black people (paraphrased).

hmmm...

I'm just curious as to what space they were allowed to destroy. Was it an empty parking lot?

I'm just curious as to what space they were allowed to destroy. Was it an empty parking lot?

City union workers coned off a gauntlet of police cars, trash cans and lighter fluid.

City union workers coned off a gauntlet of police cars, trash cans and lighter fluid.

If it hasn't extended past that, it's a 'tempest in a teapot'.

A horrible call by the mayor is what it is. It's a glaring example of the idiocy of governing with emotion. It sets a precedent of entitlement I hadn't really considered much before.

• Like 2

A horrible call by the mayor is what it is. It's a glaring example of the idiocy of governing with emotion. It sets a precedent of entitlement I hadn't really considered much before.

But, 'precedents of entitlement' are known throughout history. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, just, hardly suprising.

Wiki: "An entitlement is a government program guaranteeing access to some benefit by members of a specific group and based on established rights or by legislation."

In your own United States... In my Canada, and too many other places to mention it's been the norm, for good and bad.

I'm just surprised that you're surprised.

• Like 1

But, 'precedents of entitlement' are known throughout history. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, just, hardly suprising.

Wiki: "An entitlement is a government program guaranteeing access to some benefit by members of a specific group and based on established rights or by legislation."

In your own United States... In my Canada, and too many other places to mention it's been the norm, for good and bad.

Well I'm surprised that your surprised about him being surprised. Because he's easily surprised, you know.

• Like 3

I am more interested in this statement:

Police later blamed the violence and criminal activity that occurred on “groups of outside agitators.”

It wouldn't be the first time that a bunch of rowdies actually took a road trip to the site of a disturbance just to cause some damage.

• Like 4

Aquatus they've been blaming "outside agitators" since ferguson. It's just a PC tag line to keep these protests looking innocent.

You shouldn't be. I'm not talking about an entitlement program. Think: inmates running the asylum. The entitlement I hadn't considered much before is an expected right to "destroy".

• Like 3

Aquatus they've been blaming "outside agitators" since ferguson. It's just a PC tag line to keep these protests looking innocent.

It's also an actual thing that happens, and so not so easily dismissed.

• Like 2

There once was a saying used by judges, "Incitement to riot is no excuse for rioting"... A pity we still don't go by that...

• Like 6

Freedom of expression, now i can see logic in this :D

• Like 1

There's so many things I want to say about this but I won't.

Of course it was people from the outside! We, Marylanders, don't destroy out stuff. We tend to protest "peacefully." when the Wall Street protestors were in Balitmore City they didn't riot.

On tumblr people were saying it was a good thing and a "revolution" should happen. [Eye roll.]

• Like 1

It's also an actual thing that happens, and so not so easily dismissed.

I don't dismiss it entirely but the phrase is used to completely dismiss the notion that these protests aren't made up of anything but innocent locals. I will guarantee you that a great many destroyers are destroying their own home towns.

There's so many things I want to say about this but I won't.

Of course it was people from the outside! We, Marylanders, don't destroy out stuff. We tend to protest "peacefully." when the Wall Street protestors were in Balitmore City they didn't riot.

On tumblr people were saying it was a good thing and a "revolution" should happen. [Eye roll.]

Say these things that you can't! I mean, you've finally told us where the moon kingdom is so that's a start. :)

There's a freedom of assembly, if 100 people assemble and two people destroy some property, does that warrant infringement on the other 98? Or does it mean that the 98 still have room, to destroy if that's what it comes down to, while the destruction itself can still be against the law? I think the latter is closer to the law than the former.

The Founders were incited to riot too for various reasons. When they decided they were going to kill the Brits for what they were doing here, George Washington and the gang were terrorists in the English newspapers. If the tree of liberty must be refreshed with blood....but never a police car? Are there such things as riotable offenses? Mysterious deaths and broken backs at the police station don't qualify? Once they're killing us, I don't know how much more excuse we need to riot than that. We should be rioting outside the Pentagon/DC for the govt defiling our right to due process. This is analogous with our Revolution whether brown people throwing rocks are politically correct enough to notice or not. It's not granting people the rights they're guaranteed by law, in this case by the Constitution, in that case the rights that English gentlemen were used to having in England.

Good thing we've got William Murphy Jr. on the case. A rare, respectable lawyer who takes our Bill of Rights as seriously as anyone. We need more just like him.

• Like 1

We should be rioting outside the Pentagon/DC for the govt defiling our right to due process. This is analogous with our Revolution whether brown people throwing rocks are politically correct enough to notice or not. It's not granting people the rights they're guaranteed by law, in this case by the Constitution, in that case the rights that English gentlemen were used to having in England.

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.

Barack Obama

To compare this to the founders revolution is absurd. First of all this whole thing in Baltimore is based on assumptions. Granted they seem to have a better case than Ferguson given what's known but still, no facts. Just blind rage fueled by speculation. I have yet to see a clear and concise list of grievances from any of these protests. All I hear is a broad and unclear demand for justice. It seems so asinine and considering that the Brown family is now on their own personal lawsuit event due to "the evidence that they have" it is quite clear that there is little reasoning or hope for relaxation. Welcome to Obama's America.

• Like 2

Granted they seem to have a better case than Ferguson given what's known but still, no facts.

there are facts, a guy died from injuries recived inside police van, while in custody, even police does not dispute this fact. but they offer no explanation. their investigation of themselves rearly leads to anything other then "officers actions were justified" so few even care what cops have to say, they see what cops do,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1