Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Disappearance of Kristen Modafferi

JonathanVonErich

Eighteen-year-old Kristen Modafferi was a college honor student from North Carolina spending her summer in San Francisco. On Monday, June 23rd, 1997, she arrived for work at the Crocker Galleria mall. She had taken a job at a coffee shop to pay for a photography course at U.C. Berkeley. At the end of her shift, Kristen left the coffee shop and was never seen again.

From the start, authorities were frustrated by intriguing clues that went nowhere and a trail that led directly into the ocean. As in many missing person's cases, police had few leads to work with. One of the first pieces of the puzzle was identifying a blonde woman seen with Kristin the day she disappeared. Forty-five minutes after Kristin's shift ended, a man who worked with her noticed them at the mall together. Police used a bloodhound to try to retrace Kristen's route the day that she vanished. The dog immediately located her trail, but police weren't sure if this was a route Kristen took the day she disappeared, or some other day. The dog then led them to Geary Street, heading toward Land's End Beach. Kristen's co-workers had said that on the day she vanished, she talked about visiting Land's End Beach.

But if Kristen didn't drown, what happened to her? Seventeen days after she vanished, a man called a local news station and claimed Kristen had been murdered. Bill Magee, the assignment editor at KGO-TV, received the call:

"He went into a very long description of who he said killed her and he told me that there were two women, and he named them. He said that Kristen had been killed as a result of a lesbian love affair that went wrong."

Detectives tracked down the two women named by the caller, but determined they didn't know Kristen and had nothing to do with her disappearance. Nobody have seen Kristen since June 23, 1997.

When Kristen was last seen alive she was with a blonde woman. The man who saw them together said that they were walking very close from each other, like a couple or two close friends would do. What's strange is that Kristen said she had no friends in San Francisco, logical since she was in the city only since June 1. Some people believe that the blonde woman seduced Kristen, then brought Kristen to her abductor. The Authorities tried very hard to find who that blonde woman was, asked her to come forward but she never did and to this day we still have no idea who was this woman.

20100303__modafferi~1_GALLERY.JPG

DOB: 6/1/79

Height: 5’8”

Weight: 140 lb.

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Brown

Defining Characteristics: Facial dimples

Remarks: Last seen 6/23/97

The only suspect in the case is a man named Jon Onuma. Onuma is the one who made the phone call to the ABC studio annonymously saying two lesbians killed Kristen and that one of the gals worked at the local YMCA. Mahanay interviewed these women and it was obvious from the start that they had nothing to do with this. The women told the police that a guy named 'Jon Onuma' made the phone call - and that is how he surfaced in this case. He remains the prime suspect. (Source: http://www.findkristen.com/OnumaCallsDennis.html)

Here is the link to a great site about Kristen Modafferi's case. Mr. Dennis Mahon, creator of the site, is still investigating the case and know everything about it.

WWW.FINDKRISTEN.COM

Here is the Unsolved Mysteries episode about the case :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYEaW394wuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTABeD-Fw34&feature=related

Edited by JVE

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonathanVonErich

• JVE

• Cloudshill

• sarah snow

I wrote another e-mail to Dennis Mahon, I'm trying to know more about this case. For now here is the link to the F.B.I. Website. The F.B.I. is still investigating the disappearance of Kristen.

F.B.I. : Kristen Modafferi

thanks...interesting, I hope they solve it

thanks...interesting, I hope they solve it

You are welcome, sir.

Here is a link to the Kristen Foundation, Offering Hope to the families of endangered adults.

THE KRISTEN FOUNDATION

I'm trying to get in contact with Mr. Mahon again, hopefully he'll share more details with me, keeping you posted.

• 4 weeks later...

I just read something very interesting. Some people claims that the disappearance of Kristen might be linked to Joseph Naso, a 77-year-old accused serial killer who often lived in California. I'll try to find more on this interesting theory.

I hope they solve it

Me too, Cloudy. Her poor family. It must be awful, not knowing :unsure:

How sad, hope they find her :unsure:

Me too, Cloudy. Her poor family. It must be awful, not knowing :unsure:

Yeah, must be horrible, they don't even know if she is still alive or dead. Maybe she was sold to be a sex slave in another country, who knows ?? Must be horrible for her parents, I can't imagine living without knowing if your child is dead or alive. :(

The links between the disappearance of Kristen and serial killer Joseph Naso are:

- Naso was a professional photographer who traveled between New York and California extensively for decades. Naso used photography as a ruse to access his victims. Kristen Modafferi was enrolled in a photography class.

- Naso lived in San Francisco in the 90's. However we don't know if he was in San Francisco in 1997, when Kristen disappeared.

I'm trying to find more informations.

I could not relate to what Kristen's family suffer through even today however, I can imagine there's a great big hole inside each one of them as they try to go on with their lives, with no answer as to what happened to hers.

I would love to read an update on this, like that what was in the news some months ago where a little girl abducted nearly 20 years ago was found alive and living a life she didn't know had been because she was stolen away from her birth family. I look forward to that news very much.

My heart goes out to the Modafferi family and everyone who misses Kristen and continues to hope for answers. I do too.

I would love to read an update on this, like that what was in the news some months ago where a little girl abducted nearly 20 years ago was found alive and living a life she didn't know had been because she was stolen away from her birth family.

It would be amazing, but in the case of Kristen she was 18 and not 11 like Jaycee Dugard was, so I don't think somebody kidnapped her and tried to raise her as his/her child, my guess is that Kristen was the victim of a sexual predator and that the chances that she is still alive are very weak.

But then again I could be wrong, and I'm sure her parents and family are still trying to be positive and I'm sure they also think about the case of Jaycee. Anything is possible.

Still trying to learn more about the links between Kristen and Serial killer Joseph Naso.

Edited by JonathanVonErich

• 2 months later...

I wasn't able to link the disappearance of Kristen with Serial Killer Joseph Naso. It's very frustrating. I'm trying to contact one of the investigator involved in the case, I want to ask him/them if they are investigating the link between Kristen and Naso.

i don't what is about this story but this screams supernatural phenomenon

i don't what is about this story but this screams supernatural phenomenon

I don't know if you are serious but in my opinion there is nothing paranormal about this case.

Sadly Kristen was probably the victim of a sexual predator.

I could not relate to what Kristen's family suffer through even today however, I can imagine there's a great big hole inside each one of them as they try to go on with their lives, with no answer as to what happened to hers.

I would love to read an update on this, like that what was in the news some months ago where a little girl abducted nearly 20 years ago was found alive and living a life she didn't know had been because she was stolen away from her birth family. I look forward to that news very much.

My heart goes out to the Modafferi family and everyone who misses Kristen and continues to hope for answers. I do too.

At least some of these missing person cases have happy endings and these people are found alive.

At least some of these missing person cases have happy endings and these people are found alive.

True.

In my opinion the chances that Kristen is still alive are weak, sadly, but anything is possible.

Same thing with Natalee Holloway. Some people believes that she is still alive.

That's why it's important to investigate these cases. Anything is possible.

• 1 month later...

This is a link to a possible sighting of Kristen in Nicaragua, in May 2000, 3 years after she disappeared.

A man named Randal Davis tells the story. He is a 53-year-old man who traveled to Central America in the spring of 2000, and met a young woman in a small town called Granada, Nicaragua. He remembers her being called "Kristen" by a young man named Lawrence, whose family lived in Granada. He remembers her saying that she was from the Carolinas, and then Kentucky, and thinks this might have been a slip, and an attempt to cover up. The young woman was troubled, having lost contact with her family. Randal spent several hours talking with her, and suggested to her that she contact her family and find her way home. She said that she needed to find herself first.

In the months that followed his trip to Nicaragua, Randal Davis had no knowledge of Kristen Modafferi, until nearly a year had gone by and he was watching a national TV news show in which Bob and Debbie appeared talking about Kristen's disappearance and their efforts with Kristen's Law. On that day in the Spring of 2001, Randal saw the photos of Kristen on TV and became convinced that this was the same young woman he had befriended in Granada, Nicaragua one year earlier in May, 2000. To this day, Randal is 100% convinced that the young woman he met was Kristen Modafferi, or "her exact double".

Full Story

My question is: if indeed this girl was Kristen then why was she in Nicaragua ? Was she sold to be a sex slave in this country ? This is a very strange but intriguing story.

Edited by JonathanVonErich

I don't know what to think about this possible sighting of Kristen in Nicaragua, 11 years ago. The witness is credible and he have no reasons to create a hoax.

The witness said that the young girl said to him : "I quit college and I haven't spoken to my parents in a long time." This is strange. If indeed Kristen was abducted and then brought to Nicaragua then why she didn't told the story to this witness, why not telling him that she was abducted and asking him for help ?? Maybe she was scared, but this is really strange.

I was convinced that Kristen was murdered in San Francisco, that she never left the country. Now I don't know what to believe. I'll write an email to Dennis Mahon, the man who is investigating the case, I need to find out more about this very interesting story.

• 1 year later...

Any news? This case interested me. Here in Poland there's very loud about case of finding three mising womans in the house of 52 y.o. man. When I was checking their case at FBI page i've found Kirsten's case very interesting. There's no leads. Only one blonde haired womand. That's it?

Any news? What about the lead with Nicaragua?

Any news? This case interested me. Here in Poland there's very loud about case of finding three mising womans in the house of 52 y.o. man. When I was checking their case at FBI page i've found Kirsten's case very interesting. There's no leads. Only one blonde haired womand. That's it?

Any news? What about the lead with Nicaragua?

i think the amanda berry case (aswell as all the other women and children that could havebeen with them) has brought much light to the whole missing persons field.

if they found these after 10 years, they can find other women to.

• 2 years later...

I recently stumbled into this case, and have been reading up on it in my free time. It's really amazing that she just sort of vanished without a trace anywhere. They don't even know for sure she's dead. She seems like the kind of person who wouldn't leave her family in worry if she was alive, so my gut reaction is that she was murdered.

It hits a little close to home, as I was in San Francisco around the same time period, and she's only a year older than I was. Though I was with family when I went. I can not imagine how she did everything alone, like going to the concert on a train by herself. It's pretty unbelievable.

I've scoured the FindKristen.com website and though there is a lot of great information, some things seem to be lacking.

Like Jon Onuma, has some aliases that aren't listed. Here's what I've come up with: Toshi, Jade, Jade Zekkou from Zekkou Ultimedia, JadeAvAssociates (his ebay name), JadeSeven (http://jadeseven.deviantart.com/), exoticxdom (aol username), & jade yoshino. I have a friend who has discussed Jill Lampo with me, and she assured them that "Toshi" is the nickname preferred by Onuma's "friends" and Onuma himself.

He really doesn't want people to know his real name these days.

http://www.thaivisa....iang-mai/page-9

Excerpt from post 216 from the above link:

"...When that didn't pan out, Daniel made plans to document his travels to South America and Central America and take Jade with him. This required international booking using Jade's real name, Jon Onuma . When he overheard me making travel arrangements, he overreacted, yelling and screaming at me that his name not be known to ANYONE. He threatened me, my family and those that were in the office. I tried to call the police but Jade pulled the phone cord out of the wall. I made it clear to Daniel and Geri that I would not tolerate that behavior and insisted that Jade be barred from the office area....."

From all I know, he sounds like a sadist. "He told the owner the the sight of a woman's vagina no longer excited him and that he need to beat the woman up just to get an erection. " - http://www.findkrist...he-Plumber.html As a matter of fact, Jill Lampo told my friend that the reason she finally broke up with Onuma was because the violence in their relationship had escalated to the point that he choked her unconscious, nearly to death.

And he threatened someone with Kristen's name. "He said, "You know I'm going to have to kill you. I can't let you go. 'Now you know what happened to Kristen Modafferi!' - http://www.findkrist...Threatened.html

But I'm not convinced he's the one who actually killed her.

He called in the fake tip from the very beginning to get back at people for the way they treated his girlfriend at the time Jill Lampo AKA Jillian Suzanne, AKA Jillian Lazzaro (Her FB page is under Lezzaro). https://www.facebook...121822771194436

He said it was a prank. He has a sick sense of humor, and he's been paying for it ever since, constantly changing his name, because if anyone looks up his real name they see these sites.

There was supposedly a sighting of her in Nicaragua. This person who called in the tip, supposedly was in Nicaragua and about a year later was in Hawaii (2001), and finds out about the case, and puts 2 and 2 together, right? Isn't it a little bit interesting that the tipster calls in the tip while being in Hawaii where Onuma was hanging out? (http://www.findkrist.../nicaragua.html)

I sincerely believe that Onuma got this guy to put the tip in for him as a joke, or just another prank. Either to have fun, or to throw people off the track.

What I'm more interested in is Matthew Luque! His name is in the date book that has those 2 days ripped out. And when Mahon calls up Matt to find this Kelley Strathman, Matt sounds nice and pleasent until he hears Kristen's name and then flips out!

"Look", he said, "I've got nothing to do with this." Don't you ever call me again!"

"You got that?"

"You got that?"

"You got that?"

(http://www.findkrist...thew-Luque.html)

Was it Matt who ripped those pages out? not Onuma?

And who is Kelley Strathman? Mahon has the name written 3 different ways on the website, his last name with and without an 'r' and his first name with and without an 'e'. No one has been able to find this guy and he was best friends with Luque!

Don't you think it's a little bizarre that no one knows who Kelley Strathman is? My theories are it was an alias from the beginning or Kelley was a middle name and he goes by his first name now. Either way, people always point out the blond haired woman never got in contact with the police, what about this Kelley person? Why haven't they?

Kelley Strathman & Matt Luque were best friends. I also checked out Matt and his brother Mike's facebook pages and they seem to be Satanists. Could this have been some sort of ritual killing? We don't know if she was a virgin or not, what if?

Matt Luque AKA Fyist - https://www.facebook...luque.9?fref=ts

Mike Luque AKA DOOM - https://www.facebook...keluque?fref=ts

Kelley Strathman was working at Spinelli's Coffee when Kristen disappeared and Matt Luque was working there after.

Of course, the other fascinating detail is that Jill Lampo was dating Matt Luque who was best friends with Strathman, so she obviously knew Strathman as well. It seems almost likely that Jill was the blond seen in the mall with Kristen the day she disappeared. Jill clearly enjoys being dominated by sadistic sociopaths, and could have easily been enlisted in a scheme to lure/abduct Kristen from the mall. It would have been easy for a psycho like Jill to dupe someone young and innocent like Kristen. If anyone has any contact information for Kelley Strathman please post it here, and I can forward it to the proper authorities.

-----

God please shine your light and help bring justice for all those who have been lost due to the wicked men of this world. In Jesus Christ's name I pray.

Psalm 10 Why standest thou afar off, O Lord? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble? 2 The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the Lord abhorreth.4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.5 His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them.6 He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.8He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor.9 He lieth in wait secretly as a lion in his den: he lieth in wait to catch the poor: he doth catch the poor, when he draweth him into his net.10 He croucheth, and humbleth himself, that the poor may fall by his strong ones.11 He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.12 Arise, O Lord; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble.13 Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it.14 Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.15 Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness till thou find none.16 The Lord is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land.17 Lord, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:18 To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.