Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cthulu

Poetic Reven

Could anyone provide more info on this mythical creature? As far as I know, Ive played Call of Cthulu for Xbox but its just a game (a good one tho). I need something more better than a video game that gives only part of the story. Any clue?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Poetic Reven

• Bella-Angelique

• ArgenVert

• Never_Hit_Nirvana

Dagon, God of the Philistines

user posted image

Dagon is the father of Cthulu, Hydra is its mother. I tried googling but to no avail. Just crap sites.

If it is the online fiction classic you wish for Click Here

Great book. But I am pertaining to the mythical cthulhu. The one before lovecraft.

Well, I found this. It talks abour Inanna but it was originally for the unreleased Cthulhu movie. Inanna

Lovecraft and his friends invented the chraracters you are searching for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since all of the Cthulhu Mythos was invented by Lovecraft and his own "inner circle," it would be impossible for anyone else, even from the same traditions, to know what was being discussed when everyone started to use words from this mythos. Some collected information that showed mythological correspondences across cultures, knowing that there was one solid Dark Tradition that ran through these cultures and through the ancient world - a Tradition that was once esoteric and hidden from the Pagans of the Ancient World and later hidden from Judeo-Christian-Islam, more or less - sometimes it is infused and somewhat incorporated! This is what they all did in these groups with one very strange and unique addition: they collected stories and letters that were written by Lovecraft and August Derleth and anyone else in a related but invented mythology called the Cthulhu Mythos. In fact, Derleth is the person that gave it the name "Cthulhu Mythos." Lovecraft had his own inner circle and they had ways, within the stories they wrote, of "acknowledgeing" each other. Based on a lot of what Lovecraft himself said, especially about his dreams - and what he wrote in fiction - it was damned hard to believe that he was not familiar with some occult systems. However, he claimed he was not - and there is no reason to disbelieve him. He did say that he got some of it from Kaballa and from Tibetan and Tatar sources, though. source

Could anyone provide more info on this mythical creature? As far as I know, Ive played Call of Cthulu for Xbox but its just a game (a good one tho). I need something more better than a video game that gives only part of the story. Any clue?

Cthulhu is a fictional character in the Cthulhu Mythos created by horror author H.P. Lovecraft...

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a Lovecraftian horror first-person shooter developed by Headfirst Productions. It is based on the works of H. P. Lovecraft...

Inanna, the original "Holy Virgin," as the Sumerians called her, is the first known divinity associated with the planet Venus. This Sumerian goddess became identified with the Semitic goddesses Ishtar and Astarte, Greek Aphrodite and Etruscan/Roman Venus...

Lovecraft and his friends invented the chraracters you are searching for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since all of the Cthulhu Mythos was invented by Lovecraft and his own "inner circle," it would be impossible for anyone else, even from the same traditions, to know what was being discussed when everyone started to use words from this mythos. Some collected information that showed mythological correspondences across cultures, knowing that there was one solid Dark Tradition that ran through these cultures and through the ancient world - a Tradition that was once esoteric and hidden from the Pagans of the Ancient World and later hidden from Judeo-Christian-Islam, more or less - sometimes it is infused and somewhat incorporated! This is what they all did in these groups with one very strange and unique addition: they collected stories and letters that were written by Lovecraft and August Derleth and anyone else in a related but invented mythology called the Cthulhu Mythos. In fact, Derleth is the person that gave it the name "Cthulhu Mythos." Lovecraft had his own inner circle and they had ways, within the stories they wrote, of "acknowledgeing" each other. Based on a lot of what Lovecraft himself said, especially about his dreams - and what he wrote in fiction - it was damned hard to believe that he was not familiar with some occult systems. However, he claimed he was not - and there is no reason to disbelieve him. He did say that he got some of it from Kaballa and from Tibetan and Tatar sources, though. source

Damn. I thought it went deeper than that. The book and game were two great pieces of fiction that I thought Surly Cthulhu tied way back. If lovecraft did all this originally, then, Its damn hard to find that one man sane. :ph34r:

from Wiki

Cthulhu is a Great Old One and is by far the most prominent member of the group, as he is their High Priest. He currently lies in death-like sleep in the sunken city of R'lyeh somewhere in the Southeast Pacific Ocean. "When the stars are right", R'lyeh will rise from the sea, never to sink again, and Cthulhu will awaken and revel across the world — "ravening for delight".

It is implied that Cthulhu will ultimately require the assistance of his human cult to escape from his watery tomb in R'lyeh, though this hubris runs counter to Lovecraft's defining philosophy that mankind is insignificant in the cosmic scheme of things. It is worth noting, however, that Cthulhu's tomb is warded by the Elder Sign, which may prevent the intervention of other, more powerful, beings. Unlike other human religions, the cult of Cthulhu seeks no reward for serving their "god" such as eternal paradise after death. They serve only to bring the Great Clearing Off and will no doubt be served the same fate as the rest of Earth's denizens.

Cthulhu is said to be colossal, but his exact size is not given. In Lovecraft's story, he was able to pursue a ship across the Pacific Ocean for some distance, albeit on some underwater portion of risen R'lyeh, yet still keep most of his body above water. Although he can communicate with "the fleshy mind of mammals" in their dreams, this contact is currently blocked by his present immersion in seawater.

Cthulhu cannot be harmed by mortal weapons, as his body is made of cosmic material. He can control his physical form by sheer will alone and can regenerate any damage he suffers by summoning material from the depths of space. When the Old Ones tried to destroy his earthly form, all such attempts failed. The mere position of the stars interferes with his mental control so that he must remain sleeping in sunken R'lyeh.

Cthulhu is sometimes regarded as "evil", but this is not how he is depicted in "The Call of Cthulhu" and other works. Instead, he is portrayed as amoral, with an ethic that transcends conventional notions of good and evil. Cthulhu's amorality might be compared to what S. T. Joshi and David E. Schultz call the "anti-mythology" of Lovecraft's fiction[9]. In most mythologies, man's significance in the universe is validated by his connection to divine agents with similar moral values. Lovecraft shattered this conceit by basing his stories on the "premise that common human laws and interests and emotions have no validity or significance in the vast cosmos-at-large... To achieve the essence of real externality, whether of space or time or dimension, one must forget that such things as organic life, good and evil, love and hate, and all such local attributes of a negligible and temporary race called mankind, have any existence at all... When we cross the line to the boundless and hideous unknown—the shadow haunted Outside—we must remember to leave our humanity and terrestrialism at the threshold."[10] Cthulhu's nature seems to be consistent with this view.

Cthulhu is closely identified with this quotation from the Necronomicon:

That is not dead which can eternal lie,

And with strange æons, even death may die.

He is also associated with the phrase "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", which translates to "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming". This line is ostensibly part of a couplet from the Necronomicon, the second line of which is "yet He shall rise and His kingdom shall cover the Earth."

Cthulhu has several avatars, including B'moth (Beh'moth, the Devourer) and Chorazin, although these are not mentioned in Lovecraft's work and are actually later additions. Cthulhu is served by the beings known as the star-spawn (see below), which look like smaller versions of Cthulhu himself. His coming to earth aeons ago and the sinking of R'lyeh were recorded by the Elder Things (in At the Mountains of Madness) with whom he warred.

user posted image

Cool pic, demonic. Love that one.

This one is good, too.

user posted image

And this one was done by the Man Himself:

user posted image

Metallica had a song on their Ride The Lightning album called The Call of Ktulu, it is an instrumental, so I don't know if this is what they meant by it or not, but I am assuming that they were.

If lovecraft did all this originally, then, Its damn hard to find that one man sane. :ph34r:

Lovecraft did not do it all by himself.

In a way Lovecraft and his friends were the orginal Dungeons and Dragons players, where they invented characters and evolving stories in group conversations and through correspondence.

Edited by Bella-Angelique

Lovecraft did not do it all by himself.

In a way Lovecraft and his friends were the orginal Dungeouns and Dragons players, where they invented characters and evolving stories in group conversations and through correspondence.

But they were so much cooler than D & D. Although there is something called a mindflayer or some such thing in D & D that looks like Cthulu.

Two most recent Cthulu pop culture influences I can think of: the bad guys in 'Hellboy' and Davy Jones in "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest".

And let's not forget Cthulhu Dawn by Cradle of Filth.

Metallica had a song on their Ride The Lightning album called The Call of Ktulu, it is an instrumental, so I don't know if this is what they meant by it or not, but I am assuming that they were.

Metallica also has a song called The Thing That Should Not Be, not sure what album its on, but if you look at the lyrics and the stuff i posted about Cthulhu from Wiki, that song is all about Cthulhu

And let's not forget Cthulhu Dawn by Cradle of Filth.

:tu: one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands

Cthulhu is sometimes regarded as "evil", but this is not how he is depicted in "The Call of Cthulhu" and other works. Instead, he is portrayed as amoral, with an ethic that transcends conventional notions of good and evil. Cthulhu's amorality might be compared to what S. T. Joshi and David E. Schultz call the "anti-mythology" of Lovecraft's fiction[9]. In most mythologies, man's significance in the universe is validated by his connection to divine agents with similar moral values. Lovecraft shattered this conceit by basing his stories on the "premise that common human laws and interests and emotions have no validity or significance in the vast cosmos-at-large... To achieve the essence of real externality, whether of space or time or dimension, one must forget that such things as organic life, good and evil, love and hate, and all such local attributes of a negligible and temporary race called mankind, have any existence at all... When we cross the line to the boundless and hideous unknown—the shadow haunted Outside—we must remember to leave our humanity and terrestrialism at the threshold."[10] Cthulhu's nature seems to be consistent with this view.

What I hate is that Derleth latter made it a battle between good and evil. :angry2: He also made up a stupid elemental system for the "gods". And when he didn't have enough gods to fill the categories, he decided to make a few up. The reason that they're so awsome in the first place is because they are amoral and unfathomable. Once you start giving them human notions, then they no longer carry that air of mysteriousness.

Having said all that, reading a wiki synopsys doesn't hold a candle to reading the actual stories. And the optimal way to read them is in bed at 2:00 AM with only enough light to read by. :devil:

My recomendation is to watch the movie Dagon followed by Death to Smoochy.

They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

My recomendation is to watch the movie Dagon followed by Death to Smoochy.

They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Um, I never seen either before.... And, might I ask, Why would a movie about killing a guy in a dinosaur costume go down smoothly with a movie about Dagon?

Metallica also has a song called The Thing That Should Not Be, not sure what album its on, but if you look at the lyrics and the stuff i posted about Cthulhu from Wiki, that song is all about Cthulhu

It's on Master of Puppets.

Cliff Burton was a big H.P. Lovecraft fan and got the other guys in the band into it before he died. Horribly.

http://artscool.cfa.cmu.edu/~lee/deanimator.html

That's a game I played for a little while earlier this year, says it's based on Lovecraft. Mildly entertaining.

Just could not get into the roleplaying version of the game... my characters always died before anything "wierd" Could happen.

"The Thing That Should Not Be"

Messenger of fear in sight

Dark deception kills the light

Hybrid children watch the sea

Pray for father, roaming free

Fearless wretch

Insanity

He watches

Lurking beneath the sea

Great old one

Forbidden site

He searches