Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Women may join front line combat

Still Waters

Women may be allowed to fight in front line combat roles for the first time - pending a further review by the Ministry of Defence.

A government-commissioned report on the ban on women serving in close combat roles called for more research to assess the physical demands involved.

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said armed forces roles "should be determined by ability and not gender".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30539111

• Like 1

What changed from this:

This list of women who engaged in war, found throughout mythology and folklore, studied in fields such as literature, sociology, psychology, anthropology, film studies, mass communication, cultural studies, and women's studies. A mythological figure does not always mean a fictional one, but rather, someone of whom stories have been told that have entered the cultural heritage of a people. Some women warriors are documented in the written record and as such form part of history (e.g. the Ancient Briton queen Boudica, who led the Iceni into battle against the Romans). However, to be considered a warrior, the woman in question must have belonged to some sort of military, be it recognized, like an organized army, or unrecognized, like revolutionaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women_warriors_in_folklore

Apart from some men in the military not wanting women to spoil their war games!

Today times have changed, women want equal rights and there is no reason they should not be allowed to be on the front line. There is no church today who will dare call them witches, (not publicly anyway).

The stay at home mum while daddy goes and earns the money has dwindled in many areas, and some of the women today are tougher than their male counterparts...so good for them.

• Like 1

Would just like to add....."by 2016".....no sign of peace. Sad that the defenses and lets get bigger and better weapons side is still so high up on the "what has man learned throughout history" list.

As long as they can carry the required gear and have the proper endurance, warfare has evolved to make women as effective as men.

• Like 5

Its worth pointing out Women in the British Army serve on the front line right now and have for some time - just not in the infantry units. - and i have to say i have my doubts about women fighting in infantry units and the numbers who would actually pass the same physical fitness tests as their male counter parts. in the main naturally men are stronger than women. obviously some can attain the level of fitness and strength required but these will be the exceptions rather than the rule. So, i'll watch this with interest. but i doubt we'd see women in infantry units on the front line any time soon.

• Like 2

I thought the whole purpose of wars throughout the ages is to keep the women and children safe ?

~

• Like 2

As an ex-soldier, I have no objection....unless.....

http://www.dailymail...aded-women.html

Fitness tests for the police are to be made easier because they are too hard for women.

I agree, if its going to be "equal" rights, then it should be exactly that = equal.

I have no objections either, there are some pretty tough women out there who most certainly know how to wear a pair of trousers and would be able to take on many a man.....but as you say....unless. EQUAL rights, yeah then let them have them, as long as they are.

• Like 1

I thought the whole purpose of wars throughout the ages is to keep the women and children safe ?

~

Nooooo! where did you get that from? the whole purpose of most wars is to conquer.rolleyes.gif

The women and children thing is more suited for the Titanic.

• Like 2

I can't understand why women would want to put themselves into a frontline combat role in the army, isn't there a far more rewarding career they can choose, like becoming a nurse for instance. Women are built psychologically different from men, and I would think there's very few women that would feel comfortable with killing a human being. I guess there are exceptions to the rule though, but that's as far as it goes.

Edited by Oxo1
  • Like 3

It's going to cause bloodshed. Despite everyone crying for equal rights, women on the front line would slow down operations. Military training has been made easier to accommodate females. Women are not able to carry a wounded male soldier, unless she's 7ft tall and built like Lei'D Tapa and the man is a dwarf.

Edited by Red Moon
  • Like 1

This crazy world... In future we will have, among plenty of other things, males carrying babies like Arnold in that movie, i can put my life on that. And you know why? Because someone will feel that he should be able to and people will listen instead of healing his mental issues.

I just hope it won't happen in next 40 years so i won't live to see it.

• Like 1

Women have served on the Front Lines in the Canadian Army, from artillery FOO to infantry platoon and company commanders.

They have proven that they can take the fight to the enemy in major combat operations and win the support of the men under them and beside them.

• Like 1

Women have served on the Front Lines in the Canadian Army, from artillery FOO to infantry platoon and company commanders.

They have proven that they can take the fight to the enemy in major combat operations and win the support of the men under them and beside them.

Canada was one of the few countries who got stuck in in Afghanistan. I wonder if we can find out how many women fought on the frontline in infantry units.

would you know where to find such information - it'll be interesting to see.

On the other hand, it's probably a darned good idea to get as many women as possible into a front-line fighting role, as apparently, being killed by a woman terrifies your average Islamist terrorist. (Or as the BBC prefers....'militant')

In the US Army, as a (then) 50 year old male soldier, I was required to do more push ups - just to pass the test, than a 20 year old woman (in the same carear field) needed to score highly...

Same with the 2 mile run...

I really have no problem with women in combat so long as they are held to the same standards as the men in the same situation... Lessen the standards? Different standards? Then we have a problem...

Concerns?... Sure:

(as mentioned earlier) The ability of a 115 pound woman to successfully move a severly injured 200 pound squad mate (and his combat load) out of a fire zone and to safety...

The ability of a 115 - 130 pound woman to wear her own 45+ pounds of combat gear/ammo, and to also carry her share of the squad weapons (mortar base plate ~45 pounds or Extra MG ammo ~40 pounds and/or

communications gear ~25 pounds) all day or night in all weather....

Also a consideration... if this passes, it won't be just women who volunteer for front line (i.e. Infantry, Armor, Artillery) positions... They will be placed at the needs of the service... So a woman going in thinking she

will be an administrative type.. could quite easily (and rudely) find herself in the Infantry - want it or not...

This originated, by those who focused on the Officer ranks.. .As a way to "further female Officers" carears... But the vast majority will be enlisted soldiers, whos carears were not being "held back" promotion wise

because they didn't have "action guy" badges...

Women may be allowed to fight in front line combat roles for the first time - pending a further review by the Ministry of Defence.

A government-commissioned report on the ban on women serving in close combat roles called for more research to assess the physical demands involved.

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said armed forces roles "should be determined by ability and not gender".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30539111

Female POWs will be raped.

On the other hand, it's probably a darned good idea to get as many women as possible into a front-line fighting role, as apparently, being killed by a woman terrifies your average Islamist terrorist. (Or as the BBC prefers....'militant')

The flip side is that they refuse to surrender to a woman and fight harder, thus causing more casualties - on both sides...

Canada was one of the few countries who got stuck in in Afghanistan. I wonder if we can find out how many women fought on the frontline in infantry units.

would you know where to find such information - it'll be interesting to see.

Women comprise a small number of infantry, more artillery and armoured.

When I was over we had a woman I the platoon I was attached to. I also know a woman who commanded a platoon in Panjwai district. If they can pass the training they can do that job. Also it doesn't change the dynamic of the fighting unit, as most fighting units already have women in support roles.

• Like 1

Are you happy for your sisters and daughters to be treated as cannon fodder then? I'm certainly not.

The Kurds have been allowing their women to fight on the front lines for a while now. They probably wouldn't be as successful as they are if they didn't.

Women aren't forced to join the military. I'm thinking its up to them to join not their relatives.

These women took matters into their own hands and did a excellent job of it.

Grieving Afghan mother takes bloody revenge by killing 25 Taliban militants during seven hour battle after they gunned down her son

Are you happy for your sisters and daughters to be treated as cannon fodder then? I'm certainly not.

They sent cannon doddering trained properly. If they are trained properly they are highly skilled and capable soldiers.