Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

If we all turned vegetarian....

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

One would assume that the domesticated breeds production would be toned down as consumption declined.  The animals left would be repurposed into dog/cat food, zoos, and small farms for pets/private consumption by the remaining carnitarians.  Releasing them into nature would be foolish.  (Here in Iowa, animal right activists released minks, with the end result of a few hundred thousand dead minks everywhere.)

#17    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 28 September 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Why ask questions which can never come to pass.
It would be better for us all if we were less dependent on meat, but any such change would be gradual and easy to adapt to without undue consequences for farm animals.

Just a waste of brain - try thinking before asking stupid questions.

Br Cornelius

There's no need to be rude! Posted Image

#18    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,989 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostGromdor, on 28 September 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

One would assume that the domesticated breeds production would be toned down as consumption declined.  The animals left would be repurposed into dog/cat food, zoos, and small farms for pets/private consumption by the remaining carnitarians.  Releasing them into nature would be foolish.  (Here in Iowa, animal right activists released minks, with the end result of a few hundred thousand dead minks everywhere.)

On this islands they showed up one year and released all chained dogs, with the result that within the first hour 14 dogs were hit by cars or trucks. Every volunteer at the animal welfare clinic put in at least 20 hours to patch the dogs back together casting and stitching.

We told them that we ever saw their faces again on the island we would have a nice necktie party.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#19    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,781 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostBling, on 28 September 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

There's no need to be rude! Posted Image

A rhetorical question is only useful if it sheds light on the situation we actually live in. We can all learn from answering questions which have that potential.

Br Cortnelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#20    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

My family was vegetarian, and I lived that way for 10 years. Once I left home and could make my own decisions I decided I wanted to eat meat - cos it tastes good! This hypothetical question I've put to you all is not my attempt to say what's right or wrong about eating meat, it's about what may happen to the various species of animals we now use for meat should we stop eating them all together.

#21    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,781 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostBling, on 28 September 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

My family was vegetarian, and I lived that way for 10 years. Once I left home and could make my own decisions I decided I wanted to eat meat - cos it tastes good! This hypothetical question I've put to you all is not my attempt to say what's right or wrong about eating meat, it's about what may happen to the various species of animals we now use for meat should we stop eating them all together.
But that scenario will never happen so the question is meaningless. A useful question might be "Should we reduce our consumption of meat and what would be the consequences ?"
I am not trying to be harsh - but learning is all about asking the right questions.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,989 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 28 September 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

But that scenario will never happen so the question is meaningless. A useful question might be "Should we reduce our consumption of meat and what would be the consequences ?"
I am not trying to be harsh - but learning is all about asking the right questions.

Br Cornelius

Where the answer is yes, with a growing population we will be less and less capable of affording feeding ten pounds of vegetables to obtain a pound of meat.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#23    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 28 September 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

I believe that we need to eat meat in order to have a well balanced diet.  Humans have been eating meat for thousands if years- you can't just change our diets and expect no health issues to arise.  

Factually incorrect.

#24    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 28 September 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Br Cornelius

In your opinion I asked the wrong questions, but that doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong. If you don't like this topic I have started then don't feel you need to contribute, we really will cope without you :)

#25    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,781 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostBling, on 28 September 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

In your opinion I asked the wrong questions, but that doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong. If you don't like this topic I have started then don't feel you need to contribute, we really will cope without you :)
The question is - do you really want to learn something useful ?

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#26    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,020 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostBling, on 27 September 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

If every human stopped eating meat, what would happen to the species of animals which make up a large part of our everyday diet? Would pigs, cows, sheep, chickens and turkeys etc become extinct? What would be their place in the world if we don't eat them? Is it their destiny to provide us with food? Would they become a wild species, endangered or domesticated?

Is eating meat a responsible thing to continue doing? Are meat eaters helping a species continue to live in this world? Instead of stopping eating meat would it be better to campaign for better conditions for these animals and only eating organic meat?

I'd hate a whole species of animal become extinct just because I couldn't be bothered to speak out on their behalf and press for better conditions for them from birth to slaughter. I was a vegetarian for 10 years by the way...
Animals becoming extinct is a very strange euphemism for animals having to be euthanized.
A parallel would be in Britain during WW2 where the major food chain farm animals had to be destroyed to avoid the inevitable competition for both land and crops that were needed to feed humans - see the current BBC series Wartime Farm.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#27    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

If we all became vegetarians I'd like to think that we'd let all the animals we would usually eat free.
However, knowing how cruel the human race is, we'd more likely cull 'em.

#28    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 28 September 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Animals becoming extinct is a very strange euphemism for animals having to be euthanized.
A parallel would be in Britain during WW2 where the major food chain farm animals had to be destroyed to avoid the inevitable competition for both land and crops that were needed to feed humans - see the current BBC series Wartime Farm.

I'm not talking about the animals being euthanized.....but rather if we stopped eating them, and their numbers gradually reduced due to lack of demand....after many years would those species become extinct?

#29    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,020 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostBling, on 28 September 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

I'm not talking about the animals being euthanized.....but rather if we stopped eating them, and their numbers gradually reduced due to lack of demand....after many years would those species become extinct?
What animals are you then referring to?  Farm land will have to be turned over to increased arable food/crop production; food chain animals compete for resources that will be needed to feed humankind - economics and reality will dictate that numbers could not be allowed to decline naturally.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#30    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 28 September 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

What animals are you then referring to?  Farm land will have to be turned over to increased arable food/crop production; food chain animals compete for resources that will be needed to feed humankind - economics and reality will dictate that numbers could not be allowed to decline naturally.
I don't think you've quite crasped the original point of this thread, maybe you'd like to re read it from the start and then you'll be clearer on the subject :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users