Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Superstitions

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,683 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 31 January 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

And killing money spiders will make you lose money, and is bad luck.
Money spiders?

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#32    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,494 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 31 January 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Money spiders?
http://www.bbc.co.uk...ife/Linyphiidae

Little, kinda see through "wish I was a real spider" sort of creatures :P

Posted Image

#33    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,683 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 31 January 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ife/Linyphiidae

Little, kinda see through "wish I was a real spider" sort of creatures :P
Oh, ok.....I wonder how many of those I have killed without even knowing! Lol

#34    modas

modas

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• Sorry for my poor English :-)

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

well in my country of birth wich is Lithuania we have alp like creature called "aitvaras" who lives in people's attics and if you leave some milk for them they bring wealth to homes.
well if you beleve in alp creatures :tu:

Edited by modas, 04 February 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#35    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,208 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I forgot ,the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter,will have second sight and supernatural gift .
Also being born with a caul over your face,gives second sight . Usually more of a girl thing than a boy ,but anyone can be born with a caul .

All dragons know that story.
What was to be their hope became their doom; a spoiled ungrateful child was given a great gift and destroyed it!

#36    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

• WRATH

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Today I was denied spaghetti because It was Ash Wednesday...I tried to protest that it does not apply to me but my superstitious mother said otherwise.

I just went to a burger shop instead.

Posted Image

"Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged it alike: It is worthless."

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

#37    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 04 February 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Also being born with a caul over your face,gives second sight . Usually more of a girl thing than a boy ,but anyone can be born with a caul .

Medieval midwives used to sell cauls to sailors as a talisman against drowning.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#38    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,683 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

You cannot accept a knife for free or as a gift, it is bad luck.  You must pay for it, even if it is with a penny.

#39    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Three people using one match is bad luck: Supposedly, this comes from World War I and trench warfare. A soldier might light his cigarette, and a buddy's quickly, but a third light supposedly gave an enemy sniper enough time to shoot at the light. That's the story ... who knows if it's true?

Kissing the bullet: Done at rifle ranges during target competition. The shooter kisses the bullet (projectile, not entire cartridge) before loading it into his rifle, for good luck. This actually comes from an old practice of licking or spitting on a lead bullet propelled by the old gunpowder (called "black powder" today). This old propellant creates a lot of sooty fouling, but the fouling is water-soluble. Adding a bit of moisture (saliva) to the exterior of the projectile softened the fouling in the rifle barrel. Softened, it was more easily pushed out by the bullet. Without this moisture, fouling built up and became hard and caked, filling the grooves of the rifling and affecting accuracy.
That's the story, but who knows if it's true. Modern day rifle shooters in competition may still "kiss the bullet" for good luck today, though modern smokeless powder doesn't create nearly as much fouling as the old gunpowder. It probably had no effect on the old propellant years ago, but lt became an accepted practice.

A cat washing behind its ears means rain is coming.

If the Sun shines while it's raining, it means the Devil is happy. An old, Flemish tale, but the Flemish have a seldom-heard flip side to this superstition: The Devil is happy because sunshine and rain means a whore is dying, and that's why He's happy. Yeah, makes no sense but few superstitions do.

If you give a knife to someone as a gift, they MUST give you a coin or something of value in return, or it's bad luck to get it. Some superstitions say that it's luckiest to give the knife-giver a penny. Somehow a free knife is bad luck.

Silver bullets can kill werewolves or vampires or whatever. The truth is, I don't know. But I DO know that it's a major pain in the patoot to create a silver bullet! Decades ago, a friend and I tried to cast one in a .45-caliber pistol mould. It took us hours to get one that was fully filled out. The problem lies in silver melting at a much higher temperature than lead. For molten silver to completely fill out in the mould, the mould must be a dull cherry red color (iron mould, that is).
I later loaded that silver bullet over gunpowder (black powder) in a .45 Long Colt case. Accuracy was terrible. at 30 feet the bullet missed the apple box I was using for a target. When I dug it out of the sandy hillside, the bullet was nearly unchanged, and bore only a few traces of the bore's rifling. Rifling is spiral grooves that "bite" into a lead bullet and cause it to spin point-on, giving it gyroscopic stability. This greatly increases accuracy.
But silver, being so much harder than lead, resisted this "biting" in. This accounts for the inaccuracy.
I have to chuckle when I see horror movies that show someone casting a bunch of silver bullets quickly and easily. Took me and a buddy about 4 hours of tinkering to get one good .45-caliber bullet.
And then, it was terribly inaccurate.
The Lone Ranger must be fibbing when he says he uses silver bullets.

My god! How that ghost makes me dread
My attempts to sleep at night, in my bed
All that moaning and groaning
Keep me awake until morning
Oh wait --- it's that couple next door, newly wed!

--- Copyright 2006 by Gatofeo

I support Rehabilitation through Reincarnation!

#40    Eilidh Enigma

Eilidh Enigma

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• Only enemies speak the truth; friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty-Stephen King

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

If a cockrel crows in the hours of darkness it foretells of a death about to occur
If you leave a west facing window open over night it allows spirits into the house to wreak havoc
Witches cannot cross running water
I'm sure I know more but can't remember them for the life of me lol

Edited by Eilidh Enigma, 28 February 2013 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users