Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ex-serviceman ordered to take down Union Jack

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

An ex-serviceman was forced to remove a flagpole flying a Union Jack from his garden after neighbours complained it was ‘too noisy’.

Brian Fairfield, from Hull, East Yorkshire, raised the flag for the first time last week but within days was asked to take it down.

The 80-year-old said his landlord Sanctuary Housing had received five complaints from local residents, complaining it was an eyesore and that it made too much noise.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,474 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

How loud can it be? People are so ABSURD!

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#3    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

My neighbour two doors down has a Union flag that size up a pole in his garden.  It rattles a bit when it's windy but nothing loud enough to make me want to complain.

I'd have to hear it for myself of course but I find it a bit absurd.

Edited by Walter White, 30 April 2013 - 10:27 PM.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#4    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,120 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

If i was him i'd harden the flag with clear resin and hoist it back up the pole obviously it defeats the object of having a flag, but at least it wont flap in the breeze or make a noise then sit back and watch the neighbours - self haters complain. :w00t:

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,222 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

The entire concept of loyalty and allegiance to country or even family in some cases seems to be weakening in the west.  It's a really bad sign of the times.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,076 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

I wonder if the Housing Authority would have been so quick to act if the flag had been a green one with squiggles on it!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

how silly.

#8    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,961 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Plain stupid. I just can not understand why one cannot hoist his own flag in his own country.
I had some time to think recently and I was wrong about some of my views. It is your country, your heritage, your culture, your flag. If someone does not like it then they should pack their bags and leave.

Edited by odas, 06 May 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#9    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,078 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

How can a flag make too much noise?  Unless there's a metal hook/loop on the rope banging against pole then that is absurd.  If that is the case the guy should just cover it with some tape or something to smother the noise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users